• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks @escalibur , that is some great news indeed! :D Plus the discount applies not only to L30 but to a whole range of Shenzhen Audio products, including Topping, SMSL, etc.. For instance, the E30 benefits from the discount too. :)

Too bad the E30/L30 aren't available yet in blue/red color. Hopefully it shouldn't be too long. Any news on that matter ?
Availability wise, it won't be available until October or November. We wish to be able to produce this month and hopefully ship next month. But it may take longer.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Thanks @escalibur , that is some great news indeed! :D Plus the discount applies not only to L30 but to a whole range of Shenzhen Audio products, including Topping, SMSL, etc.. For instance, the E30 benefits from the discount too. :)

Too bad the E30/L30 aren't available yet in blue/red color. Hopefully it shouldn't be too long. Any news on that matter ?
I think I can call it being in production.

Jose Hidalgo

Good news. :) But I guess that when we'll be able to order them (I would order them today it I could !!), the current discount won't apply anymore.
So, black/grey @-15%, or blue/red @0%? Audio-wise there's no question about it. WAF-wise... hmm... let's see! :p

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Good news. :) But I guess that when we'll be able to order them (I would order them today it I could !!), the current discount won't apply anymore.
So, black/grey @-15%, or blue/red @0%? Audio-wise there's no question about it. WAF-wise... hmm... let's see! :p
Blue and red only for this time. Idk whether the grey would come out. I expect the new colors to be available the end of the month or early next month.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods

3125b

Major Contributor
That is because Topping implemented a quality control for the pots. But all that was month ago of course.

Jose Hidalgo

That is because Topping implemented a quality control for the pots. But all that was month ago of course.
AFAIK, trl has linked the pre-production unit test you were talking about, and he's saying he can't find any bad things there. And neither can I. Would you please show us proof (measurements) of the "really bad" stuff you were talking about?
A quality control for the pots, you say? Well, if we're talking about pots, then here's some advice.

3125b

Major Contributor
The channel matching of course:
RMS-Level.jpg

What else would I be talking about concerning the potentiometer?
9dB attenuation before >0,5dB error is horrible. Topping fixed that by implementing a quality control process after it came up and was discussed at length in that thread month back.
So what are you two even going on about now?

Jose Hidalgo

Ah, if it's only that, plus on a pre-production unit, then it isn't even worth mentioning. Pre-production units may have components like the potentiometer that differ from those that end up in production. It would have been different if it was related to the electronic circuitry.

As a useful comparison, here are the L30 actual channel measurements. We can say that they have been more than improved, lol. Or we can say that it was never an issue in the first place, since it was only present in a pre-production unit. Like I said, not even worth mentioning. ;)

2020.10.14 - 22.16.42.png

Jose Hidalgo

Then if it was already discussed at length in that thread, what would be the use of mentioning it again in this thread on august 10th ?
AFAIK the other thread is dedicated to the other measurements, and this thread is dedicated to these measurements.
Anyway, there's no use discussing about this either.

3125b

Major Contributor
Two posts up from that you get the answer. Amirs review confirmed that Topping did indeed fix the issue, and I was commending them on doing good work.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
The channel matching of course: View attachment 87858
What else would I be talking about concerning the potentiometer?
9dB attenuation before >0,5dB error is horrible. Topping fixed that by implementing a quality control process after it came up and was discussed at length in that thread month back.
So what are you two even going on about now?
Not necessarily quality control. But an issue in some implementation. A90 didn't have this issue.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Haven't read all pages yet, hope the answer was not yet provided: how was the -9dB gain implemented, please? Thank you!
Series 5k at input.
No noise penalty at low volume position.

Reactions: trl

Mr:River

Does anyone have the Little Dot MK V solid mono dual mono and can compare with the L30?

I know the L30 may seem more powerful, but how do they compare to each other in sonority?

IMG_2537.jpeg

yavormoskov

I wonder about something. I switch between headphone and preamp at least 6-7 times per day on my L30 amp. In one year these are a lot of movements of the switch. Do you think these switches are durable enough or I should get A50S instead, because it automatically can switch to preamp when unplugging the headphones. I just worry about the longevity of the switch on L30. If you have opinion on the matter, please share it. Thanks.

Mr:River

I wonder about something. I switch between headphone and preamp at least 6-7 times per day on my L30 amp. In one year these are a lot of movements of the switch. Do you think these switches are durable enough or I should get A50S instead, because it automatically can switch to preamp when unplugging the headphones. I just worry about the longevity of the switch on L30. If you have opinion on the matter, please share it. Thanks.
10,000 on / off cycles
7x day ..... = 27 years

yavormoskov

10,000 on / off cycles
7x day ..... = 27 years
Ten thousands on off cycles, that is incredible. The problem is that I move the switch 6-7 times (at least) per day x 365 this makes roughly 2500 turn on off cycles per year. Four years of life of the switch if it is built according to the specs of 10000. Hm....

Last edited:
Top Bottom