• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is it about McIntosh?

Roadsterlover

I have to confess I've been conflicted about the green LED tube lights. At first I though they were pointless and garish. But after a few glasses of fine cognac, they're actually kinda cool. And there seem to be more of them as well, even when they're not lit. :)
4ED90A63-FFE8-4160-B792-0ED3629BD379.jpeg

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I have to confess I've been conflicted about the green LED tube lights. At first I though they were pointless and garish. But after a few glasses of fine cognac, they're actually kinda cool. And there seem to be more of them as well, even when they're not lit. :)View attachment 80375
Looks like you don't have speakers connected to your 275. I can see how that would aid in the transparency of the sound. o_O

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Dude, you have enough cognac, you don't need no stinkin speakers.
Apparently :)

Would you think I could achieve the same sound quality consuming enough of the Bud Light I have in the 'fridge?

Roadsterlover

I just KNEW I had speakers. As for the Bud Light, I'm not much of a beer drinker but also I'm not judgmental. If you enjoy it, nuff said. I think back on the words of the philosopher Archie Bunker. He said beer was the prefer beverage, you don't even have to change the color.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Those are cool, but at less than $300 nobody in the audiophoolery catagory will take them seriously. Maybe for $3000.

Uh huh.

1598686228201.png

Tom C

Major Contributor
Much ado is made about the green lights. But they are optional. If you prefer, you can turn them off. There are also actually red LEDs that activate during the power up cycle, then normally go off. A red light staying lit indicates a failure.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just KNEW I had speakers. As for the Bud Light, I'm not much of a beer drinker but also I'm not judgmental. If you enjoy it, nuff said. I think back on the words of the philosopher Archie Bunker. He said beer was the prefer beverage, you don't even have to change the color.

Alas, Archie Bunker, a satirical character, has become an actual prophet and role model to so many.

Feanor

Forum Donor
The style is very polarizing. I absolutely can't stand it, but I know some people who absolutely can't get enough of it.
It's sort of funny: I like the old, '60s, early 70's era McIntosh but not the new ones nearly so much.

Don't know if you've notice but the components of that era had all-silver knobs, today's and going back a couple of decades they have had black & silver knobs. The esthetic decline, IMO, began around the time they went to the latter, black & silver type. It isn't just the knobs, of course, but they are a factor in themselves.

Consider the original C22 preamp versus the current C22, (sometimes referred to as 'Mk V'): just not as elegant to my eye ...
1598718744647.png

1598718847653.png

Last edited:

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have to confess I've been conflicted about the green LED tube lights. At first I though they were pointless and garish. But after a few glasses of fine cognac, they're actually kinda cool. And there seem to be more of them as well, even when they're not lit. :)
I think that for the price they could at least offer a variety of colors. I mean, for a hundred dollars you can get a PC case with three or four different colored lights.

And if you think barrel aged cognac is colorful, just wait until you throw back one of Nick Sand's Orange Sunshine barrels. Not sure that ages as well as cognac, though.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Buy one and send it in for review! Buy it for the looks. The audio is probably fine but not great. Probably a ton of power output.
I have an MA6900 and love it. Endless power with no audible clipping, ever. Might not measure beyond .005% SINAD. Considering 0.1% is the absolute threshold of audibility you’re good for the next 30 years. Also, its resale value will stay effectively the same the whole time.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
For everything except telling the time.
I didn't think anything could be less intuitive to glance at than a digital display but they have managed it.
Not only less intuitive, but also less useful.
No second hand
Not radio controlled, so not accurate over any sort of time period
As not conventional analogue, no 24 hour display.

All in all, an $1800 doorstop.

S.

I think being awful at being a clock is part of the "I have fuck you money" appeal, TBH.

It's just a weird conversation piece.

And cheaper than real art.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I'll admit it...

If McIntosh made something that replicated the features and functions of the NAD M33, I'd consider buying it.

Doubly so if it had a bunch of unnecessary tubes inside.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What is your opinion of the McIntosh MA9000 amplifier? It has an integrated DAC.
Given the relatively small cost of implementing a good DAC, and given the possibility of changes in digital formats over time, I've never been much of a fan of a DAC inside (or as part of) an amplifier. It's easier to replace a DAC than an entire amplification chain.

Perhaps things are stable and it's not an issue. I recall when digits were a relatively new thing. Some integrated amps came with their own DAC--circuits that were soon obsoleted by new designs, making the digital feature sort of useless.

lux.jpg

Top Bottom