• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8030C Studio Monitor Review

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am using one size bigger for my living room home theather. I use 8340 as LCR and 8330 as surrounds with 2 SVS SB-12 NSD. I am sitting 3.5 meters from the screen. I am super happy on the way it sounds in my non optimal living room (big glass doors to the terrace). Movies are excellent and I would say even better than my local cinema hall. I also had similar doubts. I asked experts in this forum. I read a forum member using JBL LSR705P at 4 meters and he was happy.

I am curious, what frequency are you crossing over your mains from the sub?

Sprint

Forum Donor
Love the clean setup. The LCR Genelecs almost look like wireless speakers. I need to move to Europe.
my wife is happy as well as these Genelecs are small compared to my floorstanders. SQ wise, a different league altogether.

Sprint

Forum Donor
I am curious, what frequency are you crossing over your mains from the sub?
100 HZ. What are your thoughts on this?

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
100 HZ. What are your thoughts on this?

I am not an expert by any means, but I can share my thoughts. One thing I learnt from ASR is that smaller speakers benefit greatly when they are relieved of the lower frequencies. This is the primary reason I have two Rythmik FM8s crossed over at 200Hz even though my mains themselves have 8" drivers. The FM8s are designed to go that high which makes them rather unique. I have another dedicated sub that handles 80Hz and below. From what I understand, sound above 80Hz can be localized so your subs may need to be positioned accordingly (facing the MLP, perhaps). I have no idea if 100Hz vs 80Hz would make any audible difference, especially given the crossovers usually are sloped and not brick-walled.

TL;DR; version: I'd go with highest crossover I can get away with, especially as the speakers get smaller.

¥€$

I am not an expert by any means, but I can share my thoughts. One thing I learnt from ASR is that smaller speakers benefit greatly when they are relieved of the lower frequencies. This is the primary reason I have two Rythmik FM8s crossed over at 200Hz even though my mains themselves have 8" drivers. The FM8s are designed to go that high which makes them rather unique. I have another dedicated sub that handles 80Hz and below. From what I understand, sound above 80Hz can be localized so your subs may need to be positioned accordingly (facing the MLP, perhaps). I have no idea if 100Hz vs 80Hz would make any audible difference, especially given the crossovers usually are sloped and not brick-walled.

TL;DR; version: I'd go with highest crossover I can get away with, especially as the speakers get smaller.

Fortunately it's very easy to test if the sub can be localized if they are connected to a device that can accept a signal from a computer or a phone, or if such a device is connected to a smart TV that supports youtubeTV. Some subs can have a phone connector too.

Last edited:

wsmith

Hello, I'm very new here and this is my first post.

I'm no audiophile listener yet and I'm not rich. But I have done some assoorted audiophile recording including live full orchestral in big halls in SoFla using my 4 Earthworks QTC 50s, connected to my Sound Devices 788T. I have a pair of Genelec 8020A monitors.

I have heard my recordings played back on a serious Conrad Johnson tube set and Audio Physic Libras belonging to an old-school friend.

Im not sure the reviewer is aware that The Genelecs are said to be among the most respected studio reference monitors and near-field post production monitors ever made. So they need to be as accurate, flat and transparent as they are. I wonder how effusively he'd have gushed if he'd had a pair of the newer SAM model and the matching subwoofer to listen to.

If the pandemic ever ends I'll endeavor to do more recording and upgrade to the big Genelecs such as 8341, 8351 etc.

As for my new-found audiophile aspirations in my living room, I also lust for the same, bigger Genelecs.

I won't waste any time puzzling over matching speakers I like with the type of amp I need to drive them to perfection. Genelec has already done that for me. I'll use their GSM app to set separate calibration profiles for my livingroom and my post room and easily transfer the speakers to their respective spots.

Right now I'm making due with my 8020As with their front-side volume controls connected to my CD player's unbalanced RCA outputs, listening to everything from Martha Argerich to Jeff Beck and it all sounds great albeit not thunderously loud. But I'm an otherwise contented condo dweller.

I'm saving up for a Genelec surround setup with two that are easily moveable to the post room.

Colonel Bogey

I'm saving up for a Genelec surround setup with two that are easily moveable to the post room.

For classical, I dont believe you need to move very high up the SAM chain to fill a normal living room. I use the 8341 and have no problem with effortlessly playing orchestral music with peaks at 95dB with lots of spare power left. I have borrowed and tested 7360A, not sure that its actually needed, haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Last edited:

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone found a good pair of floor stands for these that attach the speakers securely to the stand and are the correct height?

Last edited:

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Has anyone found a good pair of floor stands for these that attach the speakers securely tho the stand and are the correct height?
Genelec sells their own floor stands.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
1) those are too tall , minimum height is 43" which is 5" too tall
2) not listed as compatible with 8030C
3) they cost $740/pair which might be ok if the height as good but would prefer something more proportionate with the speakers.
8000-409B is the ordinary, cheaper floor stand, which I have used. It is compatible with 8030C with the correct adapter. I don't know about the minimum height, they are not directly comparable, as the attachment is different.

Last edited:

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
8000-409B is the ordinary, cheaper floor stand, which I have used. It is compatible with 8030C with the correct adapter. I don't know about the minimum height, they are not directly comparable, as the attachment is different.
minimum height for 8000-409B is 37" to bottom of the speaker which puts the tweeters too high.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone found a good pair of floor stands for these that attach the speakers securely to the stand and are the correct height?

Not sure what height you are looking for exactly.

K&M 19780 + M6 screws + K&M 24359 will enable you to mount 8030Cs to any 35mm diameter speaker/mic stand. For example, a base plate(26009 or 26706) + 21347 telescope rod will give you ~900mm mounting height. If you want lower than that, a fixed rod can give you 750mm or less depending on where you clamp the speaker. Many other manufacturers make 35mm diameter stands as well that you could use.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure what height you are looking for exactly.

K&M 19780 + M6 screws + K&M 24359 will enable you to mount 8030Cs to any 35mm diameter speaker/mic stand. For example, a base plate(26009 or 26706) + 21347 telescope rod will give you ~900mm mounting height. If you want lower than that, a fixed rod can give you 750mm or less depending on where you clamp the speaker. Many other manufacturers make 35mm diameter stands as well that you could use.
thanks, looking into the parts, It's hard to find these individual parts in the USA. Looks like this solution is pretty affordable in Germany.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
thanks, looking into the parts, It's hard to find these individual parts in the USA. Looks like this solution is pretty affordable in Germany.

You can order them from Thomann shipped to the US. It takes a while, but that's how I got my stands for my Genelecs to Canada. If you prefer to order from a US retailer, it's likely that Sweetwater will custom order anything that isn't on their website for you, but that will be more expensive and probably just as slow since they still have to wait for shipping to their warehouse.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can order them from Thomann shipped to the US. It takes a while, but that's how I got my stands for my Genelecs to Canada. If you prefer to order from a US retailer, it's likely that Sweetwater will custom order anything that isn't on their website

Any advice on parts to make stands that screw into the bottom of the speaker rather than the back?
Thanks
Wayne

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any advice on parts to make stands that screw into the bottom of the speaker rather than the back?
Thanks
Wayne

The bottom is 3/8" so any (EU-standard) microphone stand with a 3/8" screw should work. The main problem with that is most mic stands are 34" minimum which would put the tweeter at something like 42-43" I think, which is likely too high. I wasn't able to find anything that looks suitably sturdy or not too short, unfortunately. Perhaps someone else will. There are a lot of stands and adapters out there.

Top Bottom