• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Okto dac8 stereo DAC Review

Feyire

Would you mind sharing your order number, the date you ordered and the date you received it? Trying to see if the wait time is tracking up or down.
I ordered on April 8th (launch day) and it arrived on July 16th - which is 14 weeks. Order #119.

Lefteris

I received a mail from Okto that my order is ready to ship. It was initially placed on 25th June, which makes 10 weeks for delivery. But then again it was the summer period, so I was expecting a bit longer delivery.

I got the version with the embedded rpi so it will replace both a mac mini and a Benchmark Dac2L. Will come back shortly with my first impressions

Hemi-Demon

I received a mail from Okto that my order is ready to ship. It was initially placed on 25th June, which makes 10 weeks for delivery. But then again it was the summer period, so I was expecting a bit longer delivery.

I got the version with the embedded rpi so it will replace both a mac mini and a Benchmark Dac2L. Will come back shortly with my first impressions

That is crazy to spend this type of money and have to wait 10 weeks. Seems like Okto is functioning like Drop.com:eek:

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That is crazy to spend this type of money and have to wait 10 weeks. Seems like Okto is functioning like Drop.com:eek:
A wait was my expectation as well, just would like to see accurate lead time updates so I can coordinate my other purchases. I also was willing to wait for a Benchmark AHB2 when it was back ordered and Benchmark was very good at communicating.

John1959

Expect raising prices when they manage to deliver from stock some time in the (near) future. I think - if you can wait - it's quite a bargain. Otherwise you always could order the 10K+ Mola Mola Tambaqui ;).

countbasey

I am, unfortunately part of the pinkfish dac debockle. i've been waiting 4-5 years for my stuff and money mailed (lets not rehash that here though). Also i bought something from a new audio company in australia and it was supposed to ship in a few weeks and its now been 3 years as well. I call him every few months and we chat on the phone but yet to see my component. live and learn? i have not learned. :)

bm62297

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but the results of this DAC are very impressive. Does anyone have a view on how this would compare to a Lumin T2? Obviously there is a big price difference but is that a tradeoff worth considering? I found an article stating that the SINAD of the Lumin is 122 dB but not sure how to evaluate that so any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but the results of this DAC are very impressive. Does anyone have a view on how this would compare to a Lumin T2? Obviously there is a big price difference but is that a tradeoff worth considering? I found an article stating that the SINAD of the Lumin is 122 dB but not sure how to evaluate that so any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

I think you're going to want to clarify on what characteristics you want a comparison. I will give you a hint, don't ask about sound quality.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
You would buy this DAC ONLY if you need multi-channel support. Otherwise for way, way less money there are several DAC options that are audibly transparent.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You would buy this DAC ONLY if you need multi-channel support. Otherwise for way, way less money there are several DAC options that are audibly transparent.

This is the 2 channel isnt it? (But regardless, yes agree)

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Okto will be better. I just don't think any other company can produce this level of performance. This is truly insane.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Okto will be better. I just don't think any other company can produce this level of performance. This is truly insane.
Yes the performance is truly spectacular, but really the point of audible difference on pretty much anything that really matters has been reached by quite a few other DACs so in a blind listening test, well done do you really think this would actually sound better than any other DAC that measures well such as the M400?

nikkon

I probably miss it, but again, what's the dac chip used in this implementation?
I would love to see the interior of this box as well...any one has any link with some pictures?
Last think: I wonder how this compares with mytek dac+ and X-Sabre Pro. did anyone has the chance to compare them?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I probably miss it, but again, what's the dac chip used in this implementation?
I would love to see the interior of this box as well...any one has any link with some pictures?
Last think: I wonder how this compares with mytek dac+ and X-Sabre Pro. did anyone has the chance to compare them?
Actually from previous post from DAC8 8ch dac thread. It's mentioned that this one uses 9028pro still, which is incredible. This performance is barely achievable with 9038pro.
In terms of performance this is way better.

nikkon

thanks. I completely missed it. so 9028pro as in the mytek dac+. I would love to see the internals. Curious how it links & filter the signal from the Raspberry.

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My Dac8 Stereo has landed!!

AC442345-B60B-478B-B00C-F52B10589C03.jpeg

Poseidons Voice

Forum Donor
I'll be VERY curious to hear what you think of the Okto versus the D90. Also, it would be nice to find somebody who is using the Okto with HQ Player.

Thanks,
Anand.

Top Bottom