• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Okto dac8 stereo DAC Review

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I can work around the issue in software for now, but it would be nice to know what the true underlying cause is.

A few possibilities:
  1. Software bug
  2. Back panel mistake (i.e. outputs are labelled incorrectly)
  3. Hardware mistake (e.g. Incorrect routing of PCB traces for L and R output channels from DAC)
  4. Some combination of the above
I think that’s something Pavel and team need to investigate. But since the whole DAC and analog circuits including the connectors are soldered to a single PCB, my guess would be a software bug.
Pointer S-3EX. My complete setup is in my signature.
Nice! Sorry, I don’t know how to see the signature on mobile... I somehow thought you were using active speakers...
@Sunship and I both agree subjectively, that the low frequency extension / lower bass when using the DAC8 stereo is far more noticeable/pronounced than our previously used DACs. The noticed difference is not subtle at all and the bass sounds fantastic now, especially in movies. There is just so much more presence and feeling.
Wow! Now I’m really, really, really looking forward to getting mine...

strom

Yesterday at 5:28 AM
New #527
strom said:
Will this work with a Stax SRM 323S? http://www.smartimports.net/stax-srm-323s-driver-unit/

The Okto DAC8 is meant to be used with balanced gear. The Stax SRM accepts only RCA inputs. So I would rather recommend something like smsl m500 (variable rca out) or any other fixed RCA out DAC.

Thank you for your answer. Would the SMSL M400 also work with the 323S? I am looking at the rear of the unit and see what looks like RCA inputs. Since this unit is also highly regarded on this site, this might be an option for my situation.

strom

Yesterday at 5:28 AM
New #527
strom said:
Will this work with a Stax SRM 323S? http://www.smartimports.net/stax-srm-323s-driver-unit/

The Okto DAC8 is meant to be used with balanced gear. The Stax SRM accepts only RCA inputs. So I would rather recommend something like smsl m500 (variable rca out) or any other fixed RCA out DAC.

Thank you for your answer. Would the SMSL M400 also work with the 323S? I am looking at the rear of the unit and see what looks like RCA inputs. Since this unit is also highly regarded on this site, this might be an option for my situation.

I will amend my previous statement. My goal is to get this particular DAC. My current set-up is a Stax SR 507 with a Stax SRM 323S. I first want to get a Stax SR 009 and keep the 323S, then eventually replace the energizer with, perhaps this unit:

It looks like it has balanced inputs (please let me know if it has).

THEN, I will get this DAC. So I will hold off on getting this DAC and make no compromises which I would have to do with the 323S.

Attachments

• 3B1F4623-167A-45CA-8D45-AFA30AEAEE1E.jpeg
    3B1F4623-167A-45CA-8D45-AFA30AEAEE1E.jpeg
    620.6 KB · Views: 184
  • 42A0D623-1828-4BD3-B908-A696DA0D6C35.jpeg
    42A0D623-1828-4BD3-B908-A696DA0D6C35.jpeg
    929.2 KB · Views: 250

Veri

Master Contributor
@strom yes in those last pics those seem like they're balanced inputs, which is all you need to connect to Okto DAC.

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Zooqu1ko

2. Back panel mistake (i.e. outputs are labelled incorrectly)

I would exclude that as a cause, because the sockets are arranged correctly, i.e. such that the cables connecting to speakers would not cross. In my opinion, it's down to a software or hardware bug, It could be as simple as the UI displaying the channel routing incorrectly.

Feyire

Feyire

I would exclude that as a cause, because the sockets are arranged correctly, i.e. such that the cables connecting to speakers would not cross.
I can agree that the current socket layout is logically arranged, like you describe, however there are apparently other manufacturers who swap the socket positioning and consider that "correct", so it is not a universal thing.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Based on my experience, expect 10-12 weeks.
Would you mind sharing your order number, the date you ordered and the date you received it? Trying to see if the wait time is tracking up or down.

cOz

Do they charge at the time of order or on ship date?

John1959

Do they charge at the time of order or on ship date?
I think it's also possible to ask putting you on a waiting list without ordering yet. They offered me this option after inquiring about this issue. In the end I just ordered the regular way, just to be sure to get the DAC as soon as possible :) (which took about 14 weeks anyway). Maybe the lead time is improved by now, I don't know.

Top Bottom