• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD T778 Audio/Video Receiver (AVR) Review

Brian6751

I think people believe Dirac improves SINAD. To me, Dirac gets you the most out of what you have but it doesn't increase what you started with.
Most people don't know what SINAD is or what it relates to in hearing. :)

But you are correct that people do confuse "Dirac makes it sound better" with "it makes your equipment/content better". Nevertheless, that is more audibly persuasive than when a measurement like SINAD doesn't translate easily into what they are hearing (or not hearing) even without Dirac and even when SINAD is meh. NAD is obviously counting on it.
It is clear, if it sounds so good it is that Dirac must do his job very well, because the performance of the avr is bad, and the latter is what has been put into evidence.

Its a couple things. I dont believe the difference in SINAD from the best measuring AVR to the T778 is audible. Even if it were, it would be incredibly difficult to hear and the better room correction of the T778 would have a much bigger impact than 10 points higher on the SINAD scale from where it already is.

No one is saying Dirac makes SINAD better. What is being said is that in the case of the T778, the impact Dirac has results in a listening experience that is excellent and much better than this comment section would have you believe.

Im not sure why this seems so ridiculous. You guys actually think the difference in the SINAD score has a bigger impact on what you hear than proper room correction?

Of course I would like to see the T778 measure better but that product doesn't exist right now and I'm not going to settle for another AVR that does not give me as much of what I want just because its SINAD rating on ASR.com is higher.

The T778 sounds great IN SPITE OF what is deemed here to be mediocre measurements. Dirac is obviously a big reason for that. I don't understand what is so unbelievable about that.

Urgo

Forum Donor
Nobody disputes, at least I have not read it, that it sounds good.
Here we are not just talking about SINAD only. This is a comment widely used by those who disagree or are disappointed with the measurements, but the results are what they are, not others.
And it shouldn't happen with a $ 3,000 receiver, thankfully now we can find out. It is an opinion.

Brian6751

Nobody disputes, at least I have not read it, that it sounds good.
Here we are not just talking about SINAD only. This is a comment widely used by those who disagree or are disappointed with the measurements, but the results are what they are, not others.
And it shouldn't happen with a $ 3,000 receiver, thankfully now we can find out. It is an opinion.

I agree with everything you are saying. I wish it measured better. I wish it cost less. I still like it better than the other current AVR options and if it has all the features someone wants, I would recommend they try it.

Matyam

I guess there's those that can have there speakers 5 feet from any wall and a big enough room not to worry about standing waves and others whose rooms are a compromise. Here is where room correction makes the difference, dirac and room perfect are arguably the best consumer products at what they do and both the nad and lyndorf have poor performances.The rub is owners of both would not go back even if the sinad results were better because room correction makes arguably a much much better job of improving music than another 10 points on a snr.We all dont live in barns.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
The T778 sounds great IN SPITE OF what is deemed here to be mediocre measurements. Dirac is obviously a big reason for that. I don't understand what is so unbelievable about that.

Exactly...

I think some are more arguing for Dirac than the box of parts, they just don't realize it.

How about Dirac in a *better* box of parts...?

Brian6751

Exactly...

I think some are more arguing for Dirac than the box of parts, they just don't realize it.

How about Dirac in a *better* box of parts...?

Absolutely. If there was a better box with Dirac for $3k or less, I would be all over it. Reality is, theres not.

Vasr

Major Contributor
Absolutely. If there was a better box with Dirac for $3k or less, I would be all over it. Reality is, theres not.

The Lexicon RV-6 with Dirac is now down to $2k everywhere. Is it a better box? It couldn't be worse by measurements I think.

Brian6751

The Lexicon RV-6 with Dirac is now down to $2k everywhere. Is it a better box? It couldn't be worse by measurements I think.

Someone send one in! :p

Money savings would have been nice but Im not sure what I would gain audibly and looks like I would lose Roon Ready

Brian6751

Looking at it a little more, I wonder if it is based on an Arcam which dont seem to measure well either

Vasr

Major Contributor
It is also a different shade of black if it helps rationalize.

Newman

Major Contributor
This website is proof enough that we can’t just assume based on brand.

Newman

Major Contributor
I'm using the pre-out/main-in loop of my vintage Marantz 2275 for this on my desktop system.

I have a MiniDSP DDRC-24 in there for Dirac. Using the MiniDSP app, I am able to choose the USB input to use the MiniDSP's DAC (only) or the analog in (ADC & DAC) to use the preamp section of the Marantz which is fed by my Schiit Modi 3 DAC.

I know that the ADC & DAC in the MiniDSP doesn't measure top shelf, ....
Do you know that based on measurements?

Vasr

Major Contributor
This website is proof enough that we can’t just assume based on brand.

Not to worry. People won't hear the measurement differences anyway. If there are any blanks, Dirac will fill it up. Or so we have been told.

Dirac is all you need and for $1k less. Everything else is in the noise so to speak. ;)

Irony is truly dead.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'm all for a bit of science but we are human after all and I'm guessing a lot of you haven't got 21 year old ears anymore and dirac will help fill in the blanks.
Dirac software doesn't ask you how old you are so it can't do what you say!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
No one is saying Dirac makes SINAD better. What is being said is that in the case of the T778, the impact Dirac has results in a listening experience that is excellent and much better than this comment section would have you believe.
EQ is orthogonal to design of a system as it is a constant and available in other platforms. Mixing that in every review would dilute the design aspect of unit being reviewed.

I plan to do an in depth test of Dirac by the way. I use it myself but it is a much older version.

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Please could you try to evaluate if $$$ room correction (i.e. DIRAC) is really more performant than a $ room correction (i.e.: YPAO, AccuEQ, Mcacc)?
I am speaking about room correction for the speakers, not about "boom box" (subwoofer) correction.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Please could you try to evaluate if $$$ room correction (i.e. DIRAC) is really more performant than a $ room correction (i.e.: YPAO, AccuEQ, Mcacc)?
That I will do although a side-by-side comparison is very difficult.

Top Bottom