• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NCORE MP Build using Ghentaudio Kit.

JimB

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
ok, so I did some tests again with the amplifier:

- no XLR cables plugged, internal loudspeaker connector (J5) unplugged -> pop on power off
- no XLR cables plugged, internal loudspeaker connector (J5) plugged -> pop on power off
- XLR cables plugged only (no preamp) ->pop on power off
- XLR plugged + pream standby ->pop on power off , sometimes on power on
- XLR plugged + preamp on + no active source -> pop on power off
- XLR plugged + preamp on + active source-> pop on power off

So whatever the configuration, I still have the "pop" on power off.
It could be quiet or louder, not always the same sound level (true for all configurations)

Tried to plug AC on different outlets, same result.
Multi-meter gives me around -10mV DC on the AC mains, not sure it's relevant.
Is the pop really loud? Check the DC voltage on the speaker outputs before power on, then with power on and then right after power off.

mika91

Sometimes it's quiet, most of the time pretty loud.
I have ribbon tweeters, I think it's quite fragile.

mika91

Check the DC voltage on the speaker outputs before power on, then with power on and then right after power off.

No input plugged to the amp:

- before power on: 0.0mv
- power on: peak to 1.2V, then stabilized to 15.4mV (less than a second to stabilize)
- power off: peak to -1.5V then slowly(more than a minute) increase to stabilized 15.4mV

Same on left and right channel.
During power on/off, I briefly saw a .0L on my cheap multimeter (don't know what it means)

Ykar

Only manual switch on standby pin J6.3 to J6.9
I don't have the material nor the knowledge to test a startup sequence. ^^

If possible I would suggest to try triggering from external 5V source to J6.9. My NC250MPs did plop sometimes using the main switch which connects J6.3 to J6.9, not loudly but it did. But for practical reasons I use external triggering from source device's USB, and it never ever ploped since then. I made a specific USB to 3.5 TRS for that purpose.
As per specs, PS Enable pin get logic high with voltage from 3.3V to 12V.

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
ok, so I did some tests again with the amplifier:

- no XLR cables plugged, internal loudspeaker connector (J5) unplugged -> pop on power off
There's a pop when the speakers are disconnected?

JimB

Forum Donor
No input plugged to the amp:

- before power on: 0.0mv
- power on: peak to 1.2V, then stabilized to 15.4mV (less than a second to stabilize)
- power off: peak to -1.5V then slowly(more than a minute) increase to stabilized 15.4mV

Same on left and right channel.
During power on/off, I briefly saw a .0L on my cheap multimeter (don't know what it means)
.0L likely means overload, and that it was trying to find the proper range. If possible, you should 'fix' the range at 2-3 volts for this test. I am surprised at the magnitude of the on/off step transient. However, even at 2 volts, with a nominally 8 ohm load, that is still only a momentary peak of about 1/4W and should not harm anything.

mika91

If possible I would suggest to try triggering from external 5V source to J6.9. My NC250MPs did plop sometimes using the main switch which connects J6.3 to J6.9, not loudly but it did. But for practical reasons I use external triggering from source device's USB, and it never ever ploped since then. I made a specific USB to 3.5 TRS for that purpose.
As per specs, PS Enable pin get logic high with voltage from 3.3V to 12V.
So if I understand correctly: if you feed the J6.9 with internal 5V (J6.3 Vout) you have the plop.
If you feed the same J6.9 with external 5V, you don't ?

Ykar

So if I understand correctly: if you feed the J6.9 with internal 5V (J6.3 Vout) you have the plop.
If you feed the same J6.9 with external 5V, you don't ?
Yep, I can't explain why but that's a fact. Maybe low current of USB port, I don't know. I can'ty say if J6.3 is also 5V, I didn't check.

TimF

Forum Donor
I also have a Ghent NC502mp home assembled amp. It is silent when switching power on but pops (as noted by others with similar builds) when switching off the amp.

mika91

I struggled to find how to deal with pin1.

Hypex whitepapers tells to connect to chassis only, so I would expect ghent audio case kit to have only 2 wires (hold and cold) from h-box connector to XLR pins..but there are 3. (and all 3 used in every pictures on the web)

And so, what are J4.3 (GND ch1) and J4.14 (GND ch2) used for if we should connect pin 1 to chassis?
Unless they are chassis ground and not circuit ground?
Whatever It's a little bit confusing (at least with my limited audio and electronics knowledges)

I personally try wiring pin 1 to both h-box and XLR chassis lug, then to J4.3 only.
Didn't try only to chassis (and no more h-box)

If someone had the good wiring, please share

Ykar

My understanding of Hypex paper is that pin 1 should connect to chassis as near as possible to XLR socket and that GND ch1 (and ch2) should also be connected to chassis near the XLR, but not at the same point of contact with chassis.

quoting section 4.3, 3rd line : "Instead, pin 1 was connected to chassis. The audio circuit was also tied to the chassis, but crucially, elsewhere."

This is also mentionned on the build below but considered "as not a real world problem" hence connecting pin 1 directly to GND ch1/2 AND to the chassis through XLR socket.
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/diy/0415/SiebeNCore_DIY_Stereo_Amplifier.htm

mika91

To summarize:
  1. sand the case under the XLR chassis connectors: remove anodization so that xlr chassis lug (pin 4) is connected to chassis
  2. connect XLR connector pin 1 to pin 4
  3. connect h-box GND ch 1/2 to chassis
    • ideally elsewhere than pin1/pin4
    • but pin1/pin4 should be fine

EDIT: I made a continuity test between IEC ground and XLR chassis lug (as well as all bottom case screws and board screws), and it's ok.
No need to sand in my case

Last edited:

mika91

Today I tried to feed J6.9 with an external 5V USB power supply, as @Ykar suggested.
No change for me: still the "plop" in the speakers as soon as I power off USB charger (indeed, after it has discharged, maybe 20s later)

And I received a mail from Hypex support
Hello Mickael,

I’m afraid that on the current revision a small plop may be possible when the mains power is disconnected. It is recommended to use the standby option to minimize this phenomenon.

A speaker protection circuit should not be necessary.

For further information please contact the manufacturer of the product.

Kind regards,

Koeitje

Major Contributor
So I managed to pick up some NC400's second hand (but looks like they glued on the front of the original Hypex case because I cannot remove it). Using my E30 for now with a converter to connect RCA cables to the NC400. There are some small pops when turning stuff on and off (switch on the back of the amp, or shutting off the DAC), but nothing crazy. But I think I'm not hitting the max amplification with the max output from the E30 (a little over 2v), because I can go to -10 dB on the E30 without any issue and -5dB is uncomfortably loud but not distorting or louder than my 2x90W Marantz could do. Doesn't feel like I can go up to 200W like this. That is due to me using RCA right?

dkinric

The pops are a widespread issue. I also have it on power up and power down on my Hypex/Ghent amp. However, it is not that loud at all, so no real concern there for me.
The volume adjustments are a function of the preamp (e30 in your case). I tried a DX7PRO as a preamp, and also noticed you have to go pretty high on the volume scale to get into the power. I no longer use this as a preamp, though.

When you say a "converter" do you mean rca to xlr converter box? This may be fine, but usually cables designed for this purpose are recommended (easily available on amazon, etc), with xlr on one end and rca on the other. For shorter runs in home use, rca should be fine if you have no ground loop issues. My understanding is you will still be using the full power of the amp, but feeding it 2v instead of 4v requires more amp gain for a certain volume, so yes it can affect the max SPL, all else being equal.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So yes, the amplification is the same, but the signal level it has to amplify is not as high, so the resulting output isn't either.

What "converter" are you using? There is no actual conversion needed, just an adaptor plug or cable.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
The pops are a widespread issue. I also have it on power up and power down on my Hypex/Ghent amp. However, it is not that loud at all, so no real concern there for me.
The volume adjustments are a function of the preamp (e30 in your case). I tried a DX7PRO as a preamp, and also noticed you have to go pretty high on the volume scale to get into the power. I no longer use this as a preamp, though.

When you say a "converter" do you mean rca to xlr converter box? This may be fine, but usually cables designed for this purpose are recommended (easily available on amazon, etc), with xlr on one end and rca on the other. For shorter runs in home use, rca should be fine if you have no ground loop issues. My understanding is you will still be using the full power of the amp, but feeding it 2v instead of 4v requires more amp gain for a certain volume, so yes it can affect the max SPL, all else being equal.
Top of my head I have to be at -50dB before I start hearing anything, I could be 10dB of.

I just use a passive converter like this, maybe I'm using the wrong word:
neutrik-na2mpmf-adapter-3-pole-xlr-male-to-rca-female.jpg

The leads are only 75 cm, and I plan to move to XLR in due time (when I find a DAC that suits my needs). Don't have a ground loop issue right now. But I also have to say it depends on what I listen to because for other things I can't turn it up that high. But on my old Marantz amplifier I would never go higher than -20dB, there is no way I'd get to -10dB there. And that one is "only" 90W@8hm according to the specs (measures near a 110w). I mean don't get me wrong, it gets plenty loud regardless but I was just wondering.

And before anyone asks if I hear a difference between this and the Marantz: nope. I just got them because I wanted something a lot smaller.

Top Bottom