• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

High volume incident, looking for reason/s

OP
T

tonapo

I am not certain I understand your problem fully but something 'similar' occurred when my Rotel Pre/Proc volume started increasing (NOT 'jumped') to its max by itself.:oops:
I had found out later that the Logitech Harmony remote control went bonkers [I think] because of low batteries.
Sounds too simplistic but could a R/C be the culprit of your demonic 'High Volume Incident'?
It could be the remote, but the battery is not that old and it seems to be functioning normally in my tests since. The Harmony remote was also not in use when I had this issue previously (18months+ago, but with different amp but same DAC and streamer).

I use Roon with my Devialet Expert and had one incident recently where Roon went full volume and I couldn’t override this with the device volume control.

I ran and killed the power, but sadly damaged one speaker driver.

I suspect something went wrong with the handshake between Roon and the end point and it stayed on fixed volume rather than variable. I have safety limits set to prevent this but they did not get applied.

I posted on Roon forum and got no response from tech support. Very poor. Others there have cited examples of volume going to max.

I am now very careful when I start up that no music is playing until I am sure the volume has been set to variable.

It is always a potential risk when using software based volume controls I guess.

Might be worth putting your issue as a ticket over at Roon.
Sorry to hear you damaged a speaker, that is one of my worries too. I am also sorry you didnt get much of a response on the Roon forums, they have generally been pretty good when I have needed some support or help.

I don't actually use Roon to control volume, its set to fixed.

This reads to me like a software bug in the way the filtering/DSP was implemented. It is trivial for that part of the pipeline to create massive overload/clipping. I have never seen it in Roon but it is possible.
I have put the logs up on Roons website, and waiting on a response! Could the DAC pass on a distorted stream, or react in someway to the filtering/DSP settings?

CapMan

Major Contributor
have put the logs up on Roons website, and waiting on a response!
Hope they come through for you. It’s so tricky debugging this stuff when it happens in real time and across multiple integrated devices.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
IMO, truth-be-told and don't get mad: It seems like your complex system/connectivity has never met Occam's Razor.:facepalm:
On the positive side: Have you considered *Home owner's insurance? *CreditCard 'buyer' assurance plans?

Nutul

I bet this is the problem. I more than once was looking at my iPhone when the volume shot to max. This has only ever happened when using Roon. It's been discussed at length on the Roon support forum. Unfortunately, support has yet to provide a reliable fix.

Now that this bit of additional, and essential, information is on the table, the problem goes out to the way Roon's app gets commands from the phone and/or what volume commands the phone sends out when, for example, you open a link with sound in Facebook or the like... In this regard it could be a "bug" in the phone's firmware/software, and Roon could only try to mitigate it...
Anyway, when I listen to music I don't fiddle with my phone (I also don't use Roon, but that's another story...)

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Have you tried setting your pre to a safe max limit? I think this function is available in the topping model you have. Just a suggestion

1692806785691.jpeg

OP
T

tonapo

Have you tried setting your pre to a safe max limit? I think this function is available in the topping model you have. Just a suggestion
Thank you, yes, I have done that. This felt more like an error, and not only an increase in volume but distortion as well.

Top Bottom