• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
According to @amirm, these two devices will compare very favourably from an audio performance standpoint. Aside from the multi-tonal test, they measured very similarly. And even with the multi-tonal test, it's unlikely that most listeners would be able to distinguish them.

I agree, though, that factors like display size and functionality, remote quality, etc., can play a significant factor in whether one person will be satisfied by a particular device.
For me they do, hence the comment. I have the DAC sitting on my TV stand and I use the remote from 10 feet away. If it was on a desk then it may be feasible, but I think I'd still stick with Topping and go for the D50s.

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
The irony is those Head-Fi jokers would probably spend less money proving their claims of USB power with an oscilloscope or such than keeping up with their street cred on FOTM placebo junk.
The reviews on Head-Fi are worthless. These guys will say anything to keep getting free product and attention. It's the most subjective nonsense I've read online, and I've already been burned once before by reading reviews on a portable headphone amp that I bought (that was before knowing about ASR, and luckily I could send it back via Amazon). I'd rather just buy something blind and test it myself than go read reviews on there.

FireLion

How does it compare to the D10. I threw a busron V5i-D in my D10 and it's excellent. I sometimes wonder if those opamps have two singles inside.

Morpheus85

I had the D10. Even with a V5i opamp. In the end, I chose the E30 because it sounds more spacious. More stage and details.

E: do you still have your E600?

Toku

Major Contributor
How does it compare to the D10. I threw a busron V5i-D in my D10 and it's excellent. I sometimes wonder if those opamps have two singles inside.
I feel a clear difference when comparing the D10 and E30.
Maybe it makes a bigger difference than when you replaced the D10 op amp.

Last edited:

FireLion

I feel a clear difference when comparing the D10 and E30.
Maybe it makes a bigger difference than when you replaced the D10 op amp.

The burson opens it up a little. I've had awful luck using them in pairs in a few amps as depending on the gain a static noise would be present no matter the volume.

There are a few standout set soic opamps, I'll bet that the burson is something like this two singles on an adapter or a single soic with some extra components. The V5I that is and the rest of them are the discrete in house designs.

OPA627-Dual-to-Mono-Op-Amp-Module-High.jpg

samsa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have my E30 hooked up, via USB, to a Raspberry Pi streamer. Since the Pi is always on, the E30 never goes into standby mode, even if no music is playing.

I'd be happy to hear of a solution which enables the E30 to go into standby mode. But failing that, is it better to leave it on 24/7, or power it off when not in use?

conuss

The pop is only audible when paired with power amp.
I thought about a high-quality short-signal path after recently began to meet materials on the output of the DAC directly to the power amplifier. Great, I ordered AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S125NC RCA. When choosing the DAC necessary for my tasks, I found the E30 (first of all, after the information on the seller’s page and on the operator’s website, read below). I ordered it.
And now it turns out that this is REALLY profanity! and this DAC in this situation works extremely incorrectly! What a divorce ?! All positive reviews only if the signal passes through the preamplifier! And now, what are you ordering me to do? .. Buy a passive regulator by wrapping cables around products? Of course, after this information, as well as the presence of these clicks (as far as I understand, EES is perfect and I would not have problems purchasing a DAC on this chip), you can immediately send the goods home, just a pity for the time and nerves! Why didn’t you, as a developer, influence marketers so that such false information was not present directly on the site and among sellers?
Along with this problem, the problem of the inability to turn off the display was discovered ... or did it not fit into the budget? Should we expect correction of this childhood illness from the firmware?
(Google translator)

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    328.1 KB · Views: 236
  • 2.png
    2.png
    60.2 KB · Views: 224

yejun

I have my E30 hooked up, via USB, to a Raspberry Pi streamer. Since the Pi is always on, the E30 never goes into standby mode, even if no music is playing.

I'd be happy to hear of a solution which enables the E30 to go into standby mode. But failing that, is it better to leave it on 24/7, or power it off when not in use?

Did you turn on auto on/off. I use raspberry pi 4. My experience is that it depends on software. shairport-sync(airplay) and upmpdcli/mpd both stop playing and let dac power off. But gmediarender will keep dac wake until I disconnect my client player.

Morpheus85

The burson opens it up a little. I've had awful luck using them in pairs in a few amps as depending on the gain a static noise would be present no matter the volume.

There are a few standout set soic opamps, I'll bet that the burson is something like this two singles on an adapter or a single soic with some extra components. The V5I that is and the rest of them are the discrete in house designs.

View attachment 61502
found this picture
https://cdn.head-fi.org/a/8829033.jpg

more picture:
https://content.head-case.org/monthly_2019_04/DSC00089-2.jpg.5f8fd24a94c12fca09868dfb0e91d5da.jpg
https://content.head-case.org/monthly_2019_04/DSC00091-2.jpg.6a477ed2aa488f48e0dd20be4da64b78.jpg

Last edited:

samsa

Did you turn on auto on/off. I use raspberry pi 4. My experience is that it depends on software. shairport-sync(airplay) and upmpdcli/mpd both stop playing and let dac power off. But gmediarender will keep dac wake until I disconnect my client player.

Hmm. That's really interesting. I'm using an RPi 3B+, using Volumio as the OS.

I can manually put the E30 into Standby mode with the remote. It immediately switches itself back on. I have turned off (using 'systemctl stop') mpd, shairport-sync and roonbridge ... with no effect. Even when I manually put the E30 in standby mode, it immediately switches itself back on.

I wonder if there's some other process I haven't thought of that is keeping the USB link to the DAC active?

Toku

Major Contributor
Topping's USB-DAC auto function works by detecting the presence or absence of + 5V voltage on the USB terminal of the PC.
Therefore, it does not sleep while the PC is operating.

Last edited:

samsa

Topping's USB-DAC auto function works by detecting the presence or absence of + 5V voltage on the USB terminal of the PC.
Therefore, it does not sleep while the PC is operating. Also, if the DAC is connected to the USB terminal for external charging, it will not sleep even if the PC is shut down.

That's what I thought. I can turn off power to the USB port (using hub-ctrl). Then the E30 goes into standby mode as desired. Hence my surprise when @yejun reported that his Pi4 allows the E30 to go into standby mode, when the music isn't playing.

I can put an IR remote control on the 5V external power supply for the E30. I am trying to decide whether that's worth doing, or whether I should just leave the E30 on 24/7.

yejun

Hmm. That's really interesting. I'm using an RPi 3B+, using Volumio as the OS.

I can manually put the E30 into Standby mode with the remote. It immediately switches itself back on. I have turned off (using 'systemctl stop') mpd, shairport-sync and roonbridge ... with no effect. Even when I manually put the E30 in standby mode, it immediately switches itself back on.

I wonder if there's some other process I haven't thought of that is keeping the USB link to the DAC active?

I think that's because volumio support dsp. All the audio output has been rerouted to dsp then back to hardware. Not sure if there is a way to disable it. I think you can try other distro such as moodeaudio.

samsa

I think that's because volumio support dsp. All the audio output has been rerouted to dsp then back to hardware. Not sure if there is a way to disable it. I think you can try other distro such as moodeaudio.

I tried Moodeaudio. Exactly the same behavior.

As @Toku says, the E30 is just detecting +5V on the USB power pin. Unless the RPi4 cuts the USB power when nothing is playing, there's no way the E30 will go into standby while connected to it via USB.

poimandres

You can buy a nice set like the A01 here
http://www.ghentaudio.com/part/list-rca.html
a01-6.jpg

I'm also a really big fan of 'WORLDS BEST CABLES' using Mogami 2964 wire but they seem to disappear from amazon right now, probably because they are not a priority item in these corona-virus times. I had bought this 1 foot cable some time ago. I see there's 0.5foot pricier ones in stock, still.

Veri,
Those look like .5 foot cables. I agree the worlds best cables are great, I too have the mogami 2964 with the eminence gold locking connectors, probably the ones you were talking about being higher priced. They are really quality stuff.

yejun

I tried Moodeaudio. Exactly the same behavior.

As @Toku says, the E30 is just detecting +5V on the USB power pin. Unless the RPi4 cuts the USB power when nothing is playing, there's no way the E30 will go into standby while connected to it via USB.

I don't think that's true. When my device in sleep mode, I can still see the USB dac in Linux. Once I start playing from airplay or upnp it will wake up, after I stop playing I will see Err on screen then sleep after a minute. I am using Manjaro with shairport-sync and upmpdcli package installed.

There is a way to stop USB, you might want to try. But this method is inconvenient because the USB dac will disappear untill you bind it again.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=162539

You can also verify your application actually stopped playing audio from ssh terminal.
Code:
 cat /proc/asound/E30/stream0
Topping E30 at usb-0000:01:00.0-1.3, high speed : USB Audio

Playback:
  Interface 1
Stop mean no audio playing. E30 will show Err in dac mode.

Last edited:

samsa

You can also verify your application actually stopped playing audio from ssh terminal.
Code:
 cat /proc/asound/E30/stream0
Topping E30 at usb-0000:01:00.0-1.3, high speed : USB Audio

Playback:
  Interface 1
Stop mean no audio playing. E30 will show Err in dac mode.

$ cat /proc/asound/E30/stream0
Topping E30 at usb-3f980000.usb-1.3, high speed : USB Audio

Playback:
Interface 1
Altset 1
Format: S32_LE
Channels: 2
Endpoint: 1 OUT (ASYNC)
Rates: 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000, 176400, 192000, 352800, 384000, 705600, 768000
Data packet interval: 125 us
Interface 1
Altset 2
Format: S32_LE
Rates: 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000, 176400, 192000, 352800, 384000, 705600, 768000
Interface 1
Altset 3
Format: SPECIAL DSD_U32_BE

Still won't stay in Standby mode, even with the music stopped.

There is a way to stop USB, you might want to try. But this method is inconvenient because the USB dac will disappear untill you bind it again.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=162539

I can turn off the USB power to that port with "sudo hub-ctrl -h 0 -P 3 -p 0". That does cause the E30 to go to into Standby mode. But it also makes it invisible to the OS, until I do a "sudo hub-ctrl -h 0 -P 3 -p 1".

yejun

I can turn off the USB power to that port with "sudo hub-ctrl -h 0 -P 3 -p 0". That does cause the E30 to go to into Standby mode. But it also makes it invisible to the OS, until I do a "sudo hub-ctrl -h 0 -P 3 -p 1".

Interesting. Do you see Err on E30 screen? Maybe other input connected?

Also if you unplug the USB cable, does it standby?

Top Bottom