• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3600H AV Receiver Review

Negatywny

I've got marantz 5011 and i think it sounds great. It's slightly worse than mine three times more expensive stereo amplifier but you really have to try to find that difference, so most of the time i listen to the music from my avr, enjoying its other features like timer which is coolest thing ever ;)

Seeing all those bad graphs for avr i wondered if i'm just the type of a guy which is perfectly happy with 80db SINAD, or just that this Marantz could possibly have decent performance. I still don't know ;) but it's good to see that avr could present solid performance.
This denon probably actually has the performance of my fancy hand made 3000$ stereo amp, but has 7 channels more, streaming, not even mentioning about it video and surround sound processing, this is just ridiculous how much you get for the buck.

vyper

I own the denon X3600H, so happy to read the measurements match the quality I seem to hear (using 11:1(*3) / Eco mode always off)! So indeed some engineer deserves a bonus...
I only know the basics, so sorry if this is silly question: any chance she/he also did some magic on the headphones out of the AVR, or is that still complete wishfull thinking and to avoid at all costs based on the components used? Any way to measure that? (AKG 702 / 62ohms would be the target)

PS
1/ eager to see the HDMI in measurements
2/ Marantz picture previous page: somebody dropped it? The bottem left cooling fin, although thick looks completely skew to me?

milosz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This thing offers pretty decent performance that would even please many 2 channel aficionados. Not state of the art compared to what some people use for 2 channel music reproduction, but pretty darn good.

I wonder if blind tests would show that listeners can actually hear the difference between this AVR and, say, a Benchmark DAC and amp for 2 channel playback. That would be research worth doing.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It does measure pretty good in 2 channel power output mode. The 9 channel power output I estimate would not be so good. Otherwise a great effort at a Swiss Army Knife. :D

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Noise must be the same at 1 watt or 5 watt, or almost. And distortion very similar too.

One thing is 1 or 2 dB of difference. Here are at least 5 dB. Maybe they have made a fundamental improvement on Denon's latest series. If so, it is supposed to be appreciated on the new Marantz SR6014 (until without measurements) as well, I mean.

https://h-m-entertainment.com/marantz-sr6014-review

marantz-sr6014-3-768x652.jpg

Denon X3600H

index.php

Marantz SR6013

dz0xMTIyJmg9MTAwMA==_src_53876-amplituner-marantz-sr6013-audiocompl-fot3.jpg
Good eye! :D

Ctsit

I own the denon X3600H, so happy to read the measurements match the quality I seem to hear (using 11:1(*3) / Eco mode always off)! So indeed some engineer deserves a bonus...
I only know the basics, so sorry if this is silly question: any chance she/he also did some magic on the headphones out of the AVR, or is that still complete wishfull thinking and to avoid at all costs based on the components used? Any way to measure that? (AKG 702 / 62ohms would be the target)

PS
1/ eager to see the HDMI in measurements
2/ Marantz picture previous page: somebody dropped it? The bottem left cooling fin, although thick looks completely skew to me?
How are you powering all 11 channels? I posted a question about that because I am interested in buying the 3600h

rvsixer

It does measure pretty good in 2 channel power output mode. The 9 channel power output I estimate would not be so good. Otherwise a great effort at a Swiss Army Knife. :D
In comparison to most AVR's, I'd have to say it is a swiss army knife. Per aforementioned Audioholics review, it meets Marantz power guarantee, and actually tested out at 81.9W/ch with 5 channels driven @ 8ohms/<=0.1% THD.

If you drive the mains with your own amp, plenty available to drive your remaining speakers imo.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
While it is nice to have equal power when all 9ch are active, it is unrealistic to ever need that, I don’t know any movie scene that goes 0dBFS in all channels.

As such, I would assume more people would want to trade more power for the mains over less but equal power all around.

Mountain Goat

Forum Donor
Thanks for the review Amir.

For those who have this amp (or pretty much any recent Denon amp) one feature to be aware of is ECO Mode. In theory this feature reduces power consumption + heat at lower listening levels, and when set to "Auto" will drop out as you get to higher listening levels. I have no idea if or how this mode might affect the measurements that Amir found in testing. If you're concerned about a negative impact to SQ just set it to Off.

Cheap denons are awesome! Got 4300 used couple of years
Did it get hot while measuring? Mine gets hot even when running just stereo preouts and 2 subs, but it never showed any signs of strain in subjective performance.

I've got a 2 month-old cheap Marantz with powered studio monitors for my desktop 5.1 system. I just ran a highly-instrumented "Put it in ECO-on Pure Direct mode, play music, feel top of receiver" test. Cold as if it wasn't on. Ditto in stereo mode to feed the sub. In surround, it's feeding the center and rears, so it gets a little warm, but not much.

Bear123

I've got a 2 month-old cheap Marantz with powered studio monitors for my desktop 5.1 system. I just ran a highly-instrumented "Put it in ECO-on Pure Direct mode, play music, feel top of receiver" test. Cold as if it wasn't on. Ditto in stereo mode to feed the sub. In surround, it's feeding the center and rears, so it gets a little warm, but not much.

Eco mode is fine if you only want to listen at low levels. I ran sweeps in room with and without eco mode. With eco mode on, horrendous clipping, distortion, and compression at higher MV. Audioholics did some tests with Eco mode if I recall correctly....all it really did was limit power to something very low like 20-30 watts/ch. Since discovering how bad Eco mode affects performance with my own testing, and after seeing AH's results, I've left it off ever since. I *think* my 3300 is around 2 years old with zero issues. Despite the 3600's better bench test, I don't think there is a real world benefit for me personally that would make it worthwhile to spend $1100 right now to upgrade.

Edit: found the AH article:

"With Eco mode engaged, it limited power on the bench to 20 watts/ch no matter how many channels were driven. This is worse than the dreaded 4-ohm impedance switch many receiver companies are using today. Make triple sure you NEVER set this receiver to Eco if you plan on using the internal amplifiers. I'd go so far as to omit the button from the remote control in case someone accidentally hits it and engages that mode."

Loudest I listen is around -10 MV with 91 dB speakers at about 11'. The power using the internal amps is more than enough to support this level, with SINAD around -84 dB......vs -88 dB for the 3600. Both are inaudible and would make no difference in what I hear between the two. The pre-outs measure better on the 3600 with disabling the amps, but even if I were to add an external amp for my LCR, there are a couple of reasons why the 3600 may not offer a real, audible benefit.

First, the 3500(and hence 3300), has a very clean pre-out signal up to 1.5 volts at around -95 dB.....this is plenty to drive most external amps and is indistinguishable from a -99dB signal from the 3600. Also, even if I were to play at such a high volume that I would need up to 2 volts from the pre-outs on my 3300....I don't think anyone would hear a difference between a -73 dB signal and a -99 dB signal at rock concert levels. This is still far far far far below the distortion from the speakers.

I'm glad to see disabling the amps results in better *measured* performance, it seems like a cheap and easy way to ensure higher *measured* fidelity. The 3600 is likely what I would buy if my 3300 bit the dust. But I question if anyone would be able to hear any difference in blind testing under almost any circumstance between the 3300 and the 3600, even using an external amp for the L/R or, more appropriately, for the LCR.

In the case where we are using an external amp for the LCR, it seems as though the measurement advantage the 3600 holds would disappear if the center channel internal amp, which is the heaviest demand for home theater and probably multi channel music, would degrade the pre out signal to the same level anyways.

Not trying to crap on the great measurements put up for this AVR, I'm happy to see them. I just wonder, in the real world, with accurate test conditions, if anyone would be able to tell the difference between the 3500 and 3600.

Having said all that, if I didn't own an AVR yet(or just needed one) and had to buy a 3500 or 3600, I'd certainly get the 3600. But I'd probably wait for the 3600 to be last years model for half price.

Last edited:

vyper

How are you powering all 11 channels? I posted a question about that because I am interested in buying the 3600h
Think you can certainly find better examples on fora all around, but in short: you have some (limited) flexibility on assigning the 9 amplified channels; for our room the 9 built in amplifiers are obviously all in use and external amplification for the 2 rear/back height channels is provided in form of an old NAD701 receiver; Denon pre-out height2 => main in of NAD701; Not a perfect match, but good enough and was lucky that this old NAD701 offers, despite being a receiver, the option of splitting pre vs amplifier section / So the option to use the main in in other words...

A.West

Forum Donor
The Marantz 6014 led to one huge audible upgrade in sound for me, here's why. I had noticed for a few years that my PSB center speaker didn't sound quite the same as my old PSB Stratus Silveri mains, but had assumed that was just how these worked.. But only after I used my 6014's Aydyssey X32 with phone app to calibrate and adjust did I see on the app's frequency response chart for the center a 20db valley in my upper midrange. My guess is that one of the two tweeters had been blown for years. So I ordered a Monoprice 365c, recalibrated with it, did some minor audyssey curve editing via the app, and everything sounded better. Better than even a 5db noise floor lift will provide, I suspect, particularly since I'm using it with a JVC projector putting out a little fan noise.

capt.s

When I first ran this test, I had set the sample rate to 48 kHz by accident and SINAD, for the first time in any video product, went up to 103 dB! Sadly and for unknown reason, setting it to 44.1 kHz increased second harmonic causing SINAD to drop to 99 dB. Still excellent though for an AVR:

Denon told me, while inquiring about the internal sample rate of XT32 (which is 48 kHz), that all inputs sample rates are converted to 48 kHz unless you have all DSP functions turned off or in pure direct mode. So a native 48 kHz input skips that conversion process. I'm not sure if you did the 44.1 to 48 comparison in pure direct mode that might explain the difference in SINAD?

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can say first hand that I have been thrilled with mine and was not disappointed overall when it replaced my 8805. This just confirms my belief that they had really stepped up their game compared to past products.

Wait a minute, do I understand right that you replaced the AV8805 with this little AVR-X3600H at less than 1/4 the cost? I replaced my AV8801 with a AVR-X4400H and I was not disappointed but you seemed very brave to go further than me in that kind of upgrade/or downgrade actually??

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually, the x3500 was measured not so long ago, with disappointing results. So Denon must have done a reingeneering on this one.

Not really, well except the X3600H's layout is more like the X4500H. Other than that, the X3500H wasn't too bad at below 1.5 V, and the X3600H could be almost as bad at >1.5 V. It measured much better only with the front left/right power amps disconnected using the amp assign trick that are applicable only to D&M's 11 channel processing capable models. If you can mod the X3500H so that the internal power amps can be disconnected, it would measure reasonable well too.

A.West

Forum Donor
Now I'm curious if on the 3600 whether the ECO mode is good or bad for someone using only pre-outs and full external amplification (such as 5 external amp channels). Does eco mode hurt preamp performance like amp performance? Or does it prevent amp performance from hampering preout performance?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
From Audioholics review :
View attachment 59195
clean up to 4V ! Wow ! But not sure if they measured all the output channels

That graph wasn't by Gene, he said he got it from Denon. You can only have the front left and right channels disconnected. So if you use it for 11 channels, the center channel would likely be pushed pass 1.5 V during peaks if you listen loud and/or your external amp gain is on the low side, then you can expect THD+N to drop to closer (likely not as bad) to that of the X3500H that was measured not long ago.

Top Bottom