• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bricks List: 36V & 48V Power Supplies (for Fosi, Aiyima etc.)

MCH

Major Contributor
Guys, I just realised meanwell has what it looks like a new series of very basic passive cooling PSUs at a very attractive price point (<30 eur +vat) that could be a decent match for there aiyima/fosi amps.

LRS-200N2

Pros (in my book):
- Passive cooling
- Price, most specially being passive
- Size is still ok
- 204-212 W 200% peak power
- Meanwell
Cons:
- no enable pin (-> no trigger input) no anything else functionality wise
- max 212W in case you need more

Any experience or opinions?

lewdish

Is the Fosi GaN 48V phyiscally smaller than the normal 48V? I do think power bricks are getting quite large and Id like to keep the footprint around things smaller.

doug s.

Is the Fosi GaN 48V phyiscally smaller than the normal 48V? I do think power bricks are getting quite large and Id like to keep the footprint around things smaller.
i think you need to query fosi re: size of the gan power supplies.

doug s.

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
pardon if this has already been posted.......

A vendor called 'HiFi Made Fun' (Fosi Audio ?) is selling a 'Fosi Audio' 48 volt 10 ampere power supply unit - listed as compatible with various Fosi Audio amplifiers, for $109.99 on Amazon (USA).

The power supply unit carries the brand name of 'Huntkey'

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Who am I to try to convince the OP or anyone else that trying to source a "linearPS'' can be thought of as insurance policy against noise gremlins ("Noise Insurance")?
But I would implore anyone that is interested in buying a PS (a brick or otherwise) to - at least - attempt to seek a specification# for the value of the noise in the DC output rail(s) of the considered power supply.
Remember that this is strictly a noise insurance and my +1 suggestion is to look for a -80dB figure in that noise (hopefully less than 10mV peaks as viewed in a 10MHz 'scope).

Marios81

I have a Bt20a pro with a mean well Lrs 350 36v 9.7a psu. Do you think a 48v 5a would be better? Deliver more power? We need more volts or more ampere? Unfortunatly i dont have another psu to compare thats why i ask you. Thank you...

Idrago

Hello, dear colleagues, my experience, at the beginning I used the 48V PSU with 5A of 240W and I noticed that FOSI V3 and BT20A were obviously thermally burning and I looked for solutions, the first and the simplest one was to slightly raise the amp V3 and BT20A by mounting silicone feet he dresses the existing ones, they can be found in commerce, it was ok for the beginning with the mention of aesthetic appearance. The next version is also simple, I used the 36V power supply with 6A, 216W, power at the audition similar to the 48v PSU without heating up. In addition, I have also prepared additional thin self-adhesive radiators with suitable dimensions to be mounted under the Amp for heat dissipation.

Idrago

I have a Bt20a pro with a mean well Lrs 350 36v 9.7a psu. Do you think a 48v 5a would be better? Deliver more power? We need more volts or more ampere? Unfortunatly i dont have another psu to compare thats why i ask you. Thank you...
Hello, dear colleagues, my experience, at the beginning I used the 48V PSU with 5A of 240W and I noticed that FOSI V3 and BT20A were obviously thermally burning and I looked for solutions, the first and the simplest one was to slightly raise the amp V3 and BT20A by mounting silicone feet he dresses the existing ones, they can be found in commerce, it was ok for the beginning with the mention of aesthetic appearance. The next version is also simple, I used the 36V power supply with 6A, 216W, power at the audition similar to the 48v PSU without heating up. In addition, I have also prepared additional thin self-adhesive radiators with suitable dimensions to be mounted under the Amp for heat dissipation.

SMen

I'm like many waiting on the Fosi V3mono but the Kickstarter pricing got me wondering about their power supply pricing.

The 48v 10A is $132

The Aiyima 48v 10A GaN is $80 dollars, and appears to include shipping.

That's approximately $50 difference or more with shipping, and GaN generally is priced higher (or is on Fosi's site).

I'm kind of perplexed by this! Anyone any experience or thoughts on these two models?

amix

I'm kind of perplexed by this! Anyone any experience or thoughts on these two models?
Not quite what you are asking for, but I payed approx. 299€ for 2x V3 monos and 2x 48V/10A supplies. That offer had a 25% off. Excluding shipping.

This means, without 25%, the price would be 400€.

SMen

Not quite what you are asking for, but I payed approx. 299€ for 2x V3 monos and 2x 48V/10A supplies. That offer had a 25% off. Excluding shipping.

This means, without 25%, the price would be 400€.
Where I am coming from is that the Aiyima 48v10 GaN supply, which being GaN you might expect to be more expensive, is in fact substantially less expensive than the Fosi.
So $79.99 for Aiyima 48v10A GaN vs $131.99 USD for Fosi 48v10A.

So I am wondering about this pricing. Is the Fosi $50 per unit better? Never mind promotional discounts on Kickstarter, that comes to $100 difference when you buy two.
Fosi seem to be developing their own supply, but I have no idea if it has anything intrinsically better about it for this price. I just went for one 48v/10A with the 30% discount with two units.

Aiyima 48v10A GaN Reviewed fine with the Aiyima a70 https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/aiyima-a70-stereo-amplifier-review.52830/ Amir rates it at 480w and it seems to run cool having GaN.

Here's another link about a review that talks about the Fosi power supply from the v3 mono thread. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...o-v3-mono-amplifier-review.53474/post-1963060

Fosi 10A really 6.25 amp (300W)?

Last edited:

LSPhil

A 200W power supply can only deliver 200W. If I have 200W available, I can only run 2x100W amplifiers. Unfortunately, Class D amplifiers are 90% efficient, so that leaves 2x90W. According to the data sheet, the TPA3255 can deliver 90W at a supply voltage of 30V. If we give more, no greater power will be delivered. If we need more power, then according to Ohm's law we have to provide 48V with at least 500W plus 50W power loss. The question remains whether the DC connection can survive such high power without damage. In my opinion, if we listen to music at 9W, we still have 10dB reserve and that's quite good for 99% of users. So the 36V power supply is sufficient. If we use 48V, the amplifier will get hotter than it would with 36V because of the regulator that has to reduce the input voltage from 48V to 5V.

SMen

A 200W power supply can only deliver 200W. If I have 200W available, I can only run 2x100W amplifiers. Unfortunately, Class D amplifiers are 90% efficient, so that leaves 2x90W. According to the data sheet, the TPA3255 can deliver 90W at a supply voltage of 30V. If we give more, no greater power will be delivered. If we need more power, then according to Ohm's law we have to provide 48V with at least 500W plus 50W power loss. The question remains whether the DC connection can survive such high power without damage. In my opinion, if we listen to music at 9W, we still have 10dB reserve and that's quite good for 99% of users. So the 36V power supply is sufficient. If we use 48V, the amplifier will get hotter than it would with 36V because of the regulator that has to reduce the input voltage from 48V to 5V.
Very interesting. Could you explain this "because of the regulator that has to reduce the input voltage from 48V to 5V"?

LSPhil

The regulator is used for operational amplifiers or similar. It gets hotter with higher voltage. It is best to use 24V, then the power will be 2x65W at 4 Ohm, so -1.8dB less power. You won't even notice it.

Attachments

• Regler.jpg
    Regler.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 18

SMen

The regulator is used for operational amplifiers or similar. It gets hotter with higher voltage. It is best to use 24V, then the power will be 2x65W at 4 Ohm, so -1.8dB less power. You won't even notice it.
Thank you! I've been using a 36v - I think 300w supply happily I have to say in another unit. Certainly plenty of reserves of db extra / over my listening levels.

asimze

Everyone talks about the power of the power supply, but it would be better to discuss the quality of the electricity from the power supply. That is more important. I paid €50 for the DC filter alone, it was worth it!!! Add in the OPA1656 (the original itself) and the sky is the limit. Of course, the OPA1656 needs at least 30 hours of operation until it starts to show its quality

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I corresponded with Aiyima about running an A07 at 48V and was assured it was o.k. but per other discussions, running the A07 with 50V electrolytics seemed to me to be pushing things a bit close to the edge.
FWIW, I've been running two of my A07s -- with those 50VDC-rated Nichicon caps -- on 48VDC for about four years pretty much 24/7 with no issues whatsoever.

quocheiser

Where I am coming from is that the Aiyima 48v10 GaN supply, which being GaN you might expect to be more expensive, is in fact substantially less expensive than the Fosi.
So $79.99 for Aiyima 48v10A GaN vs $131.99 USD for Fosi 48v10A.

So I am wondering about this pricing. Is the Fosi $50 per unit better? Never mind promotional discounts on Kickstarter, that comes to $100 difference when you buy two.
Fosi seem to be developing their own supply, but I have no idea if it has anything intrinsically better about it for this price. I just went for one 48v/10A with the 30% discount with two units.

Aiyima 48v10A GaN Reviewed fine with the Aiyima a70 https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/aiyima-a70-stereo-amplifier-review.52830/ Amir rates it at 480w and it seems to run cool having GaN.

Here's another link about a review that talks about the Fosi power supply from the v3 mono thread. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...o-v3-mono-amplifier-review.53474/post-1963060

Fosi 10A really 6.25 amp (300W)?
- The Fosi 10A is a Huntkey model that can output 10A MAX, but is rated at 6.25A CONTINUOUS. I have written to Fosi directly to get some clarity for the community on why this is being marketed as a 10A unit, and if they can source a more price effective unit.

- If anyone had impressions/teardown of the Aiyima 48V 10A GAN unit, a lot of people would find it very helpful, including me.

MCH

Major Contributor
- The Fosi 10A is a Huntkey model that can output 10A MAX, but is rated at 6.25A CONTINUOUS. I have written to Fosi directly to get some clarity for the community on why this is being marketed as a 10A unit, and if they can source a more price effective unit.

- If anyone had impressions/teardown of the Aiyima 48V 10A GAN unit, a lot of people would find it very helpful, including me.

SMen

Fosi seem to be addressing this in the v3 mono thread ... but what matters is consistancy. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...o-v3-mono-amplifier-review.53474/post-1968838

There is a nice 10A flashed up on the machine they are testing on, but is that a max peak or continuous?! Are the alternative units for dual use measured at 48v 5A continuous or 'MAX'?!

I second your request regarding the Aiyima GaN's.

Last edited:
Top Bottom