• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 284 58.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 176 36.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 15 3.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 7 1.5%

• Total voters

Jim Taylor

Forum Donor
z
Why would you review any more of his speakers after all this? He'll probably have more weird rejections giving you even more headaches. Would probably be way better to flat out ignore him since he's proven so many times now that he's fully unreasonable and shouldn't be given any more attention at all.

I think that there is a question here regarding the "greater good". If responsible parties disengage, then the current opinion is that irresponsible threats such as those tendered by EA can appear to have won the day.

It's kinda like changing a baby's diaper; it's a dirty, smelly task, but the end benefit is undeniable. :oops:

Jim

DLS79

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
z

I think that there is a question here regarding the "greater good". If responsible parties disengage, then the current opinion is that irresponsible threats such as those tendered by EA can appear to have won the day.

It's kinda like changing a baby's diaper; it's a dirty, smelly task, but the end benefit is undeniable. :oops:

Jim

This!

Allowing reviewers to be threatened/bullied/intimidated out of doing a review of a product sets a dangerous precedent. Doesn't matter if the review is of a phone, a speaker, or a car!

Tell

z

Jim
I don't see how anyone can really "win" this, not anyone have gained anything from this whole thing. But if there is any kind of winners here it's definitely not Eric from the looks of almost everyones reactions to this, so I don't see what good it can do to continue this since that guy will NEVER admit he's wrong.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He uses sports car names to describe colors on the "Specials" in-stock ready to ship speakers listed on the Tekton website.

I take it back! Good find.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When ordering bulk automotive paint, they cite the brand in the name. I painted my DIY speakers “Jeep Sting Grey,” from Everest Paints. He’s probably using actual automotive paint that have paint codes with those names.

Edited for typos.
So, are those paints actually sourced from the car companies? Otherwise I still think it's all on legally shaky ground, trademark-wise...

Looking before shooting my mouth off again. https://everestautomotivemarket.com/custom-mixed-paint/ferrari/page-2/ Obviously this is not some fly-by-night thing. I guess this usage must be tolerated and/or licensed because these are actually for matching the original paint for each of these models?

I am not sure where this would leave Eric's use of the Ferrari name. If he was just calling a random red paint "ferrari red" that would be a clear infringement, but if it's licensed in some way, I wouldn't be sure at all that Ferrari could or would want to stop that usage. I am not sure that they wouldn't, either. Oh well, maybe this was a rare false positive on Eric doing something wrong.

I was all ready to email lawyers and tattle, but thanks to @Danny23's comment it doesn't seem as clear cut to me.

Last edited:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think we (I) want the best sounding Tekton with the tweeter array (unique tech) and hope it tests well. Then Amir will say it does and watch what EA does. Erin's tests were not that bad. It just might be that EA hates objective testing. My guess he's a talented seat of the pants designer and has an aversion to scientific analysis. A repost if you missed it.

douede

This is a review, listening tests, equalization and detailed measurements of the Tekton (Mini) M-Lore speaker. It is on kind loan from a member and costs $US 750 a pair
..../...
Please note that the company specifications claim "extremely linear" response:

index.php

Neither reference axis gets the speaker to have a linear (flat) response. As an aside, spec above says sensitivity is 95 dBSPL. Measured bass sensitivity is much lower at a peak of 88 dB. Rest of the response averages to more or less same value. Realizing that many companies exaggerate this number, I am not making a big deal out of it but we are way off from company's claimed specifications.

As of this date, April 11, 2024, despite promising otherwise, company has NOT provided any measurements of any kind for this speaker. I have repeatedly asked Eric Alexander, company founder and designer, both in emails and in this thread to do so but he has refused. Yet, he has demanded that I delete the review or he would litigate against me and ask for damages. Until such time that he proves with measurements that he has a case, this review will stand.
.../...
Conclusions

.../...
The flaws directly translated to subjective listening tests presenting an unpleasant, boosted upper bass, lower treble.
.../...
Competition has little to worry about.
I can't recommend the Tekton M-Lore speaker.

OK then: Personally, the "big picture" is edifying enough for me to stay away for ever from any TEKTON product...
Why would anybody think otherwise ?

Last edited:

HeadDoc12

Forum Donor
I know we are only in the 5th inning here (or 2nd? Who knows with this guy?!), but it seems pretty clear that the audio community has been divided into three camps: 1) Those who already knew about ASR and/or EAC, and respect the work they are doing, and of course side with reason and professionalism; 2) Other independent reviewers and small audio companies who know about this controversy, and who ALSO land firmly on the side of those doing honest work; and 3) The mainstream press and huge companies who either have no idea any of this is happening, or don't care. I imagine some of the companies who make their living selling (or reviewing) poorly measuring speakers would rather not weigh in, regardless of how they feel about EA's behavior, since objectivism doesn't help their business. Technically, there is a 4th camp - which is the teeny tiny bubble where EA is 100% in charge of the narrative, posting distortions and nonsense and deleting any dissent or legitimate questions (you know, super-aggressive comments like: Please show us ANY measurements of ANY of your speakers, please). But that camp is irrelevant, shrinking, and swimming against a current of ever-increasing force. I have little doubt things will go in Amir's favor, and that the Tekton brand is permanently harmed by its CEO's wrong-headed behavior. I just hope the path to that end is short and (relatively) painless.

The problem with any used set is the dude will claim the review is flawed by not shipping from the factory. It’s also the case that ordering direct and requesting shipment direct to @amirm may cause the order to be cancelled. So the best solution - more expensive as it may be - is to ship to someone else, and to then forward unopened to ASR. And you know once the review is posted those speakers will not be returnable.

Side note: it would be hilarious if, upon reading this thread, the dude stopped shipping all orders (if he has any left) out of concern they might be for review. A ”you can’t make this up” moment that writes its own punchline.

Newman

Major Contributor
Why not just purchase a pair, test them, return them for a refund under Tekton’s 60 Day Risk Free Trial policy, and then publish the test report?

The only cost to the purchaser is the return shipping.

cavedriver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Why not just purchase a pair, test them, return them for a refund under Tekton’s 60 Day Risk Free Trial policy, and then publish the test report?

The only cost to the purchaser is the return shipping.
I got burned to the ground on this forum previously for suggesting a similar approach. good luck with that discussion.

ampguy

The problem with any used set is the dude will claim the review is flawed by not shipping from the factory. It’s also the case that ordering direct and requesting shipment direct to @amirm may cause the order to be cancelled. So the best solution - more expensive as it may be - is to ship to someone else, and to then forward unopened to ASR. And you know once the review is posted those speakers will not be returnable.

Side note: it would be hilarious if, upon reading this thread, the dude stopped shipping all orders (if he has any left) out of concern they might be for review. A ”you can’t make this up” moment that writes its own punchline.
Reminds me of a Howard Dumble NDA ;)
1713313674537.png

Newman

Major Contributor

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
The real shame of this situation is it is taking Amir's time. Valuable time in which he could be writing more UNSOLICITED reviews!

Top Bottom