• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker Wire 'Burn in'

olieb

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I doubt these cookers are working well as they don't use tubes. Probably ruining the cables for good. ;)
Vintage hot ticket item. Eico signal tracer. It could generate sine, square and saw tooth waves. Selectable frequency. All with vacuum tubes. Perfect for cable burn in. The square waves no doubt were smoother from vacuum tube goodness.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Rumour has it that one of the IM-1 engineers wanted to treat his cables to the vacuum radiation and cryogenics of deep space. He tied them to the outside of the lander - one got loose and caught a rock during landing.

That's why it's now lying on its side. Trufax.

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Rumour has it that one of the IM-1 engineers wanted to treat his cables to the vacuum radiation and cryogenics of deep space. He tied them to the outside of the lander - one got loose and caught a rock during landing.

If he does let’s hope he tries it in his space suit.

Platypus20

Forum Donor
Please tell me that’s satire? Is it from the Onion? I’m begging you. I gotta go share that on the Snake Oil thread—I’ll give you full credit. I’m dying, dying…
It’s seems real, but I’m not about to buy one to find out

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Best claim on that page:

:facepalm::rolleyes:o_O:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

There are possibly not enough roll-eyes in the universe.
We need to invent a whole new emoji for that site—perhaps someone rolling eyeballs and puking at the same time. At minimum someone should report this crook to the BBB, FTC or maybe even IC3. Interpol? Oprah? Somebody’s gotta put a stop to it. Or maybe the cops for public indecency—because it’s an orgy of woo.

sonitus mirus

roll_I_vomit.jpg

GaryY

Forum Donor
I wish I have talent for business and sell "GRAPHENE SPEAKER CABLE" for 50k USD/m.

Edit : I'm too late.
1708904828986.png

teched58

Meanwhile, back at the McMansion:

Partner 1: Hi, Honey. Whatcha doing?
Partner 2: Trying out my new Roomba.
1: How's it working?
2: Well, it got caught on some wires you hid beneath the couch. There were two of them and they got all tangled up with the Roomba.
1: Wires? WHAT WIRES?
2: Yeah, so anyway. There were these two wires. And I found that when I pulled them apart, they came away from the vacuum. So, all good.
1: Good?
2: Yeah. Here (hands Partner 1 two large strands of cable).

Last edited:

GaryY

Forum Donor
The only way to burn in cable is we really need to burn the cable in non-oxdizing environment (furnace filled with nitrogen or hydrogen) to remove grain boundary of copper and cool it down really slow to maximize grain size. However, if you bend calble to use cable cooker, this mechanical stress will generate grain boundary again by dislocaiton.
Copper-and-tin-containing-particles-on-grain-boundaries-in-solution-annealed.png

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I doubt these cookers are working well as they don't use tubes. Probably ruining the cables for good. ;)
or at the least discrete solid state circuits! Imagine the collateral damage a bunch of integrated circuits could* do to expensive artisanal cables when they are at their most vulnerable (i.e., pre-cooked, and during the cooking operation)?

Just imagine*.

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Vintage hot ticket item. Eico signal tracer. It could generate sine, square and saw tooth waves. Selectable frequency. All with vacuum tubes. Perfect for cable burn in. The square waves no doubt were smoother from vacuum tube goodness.

Oh, you guys are triggering me! :eek:

@Blumlein 88 I don't have an EICO, although I do have a heathkit audio generator. Only sine & square waves though.
on the other hand, I do have a fine old EICO RF signal generator! I am guessing that pushing millions of cycles through the cable(s) per second instead of just thousands of those rascals would cook the cable(s) much more quicklier, right?

@antcollinet That does explain everything! And, yes, I did my research and fact checked on Instragram and TikTok. No less of an authority than Abraham Lincoln said it's the absolute truth.

olieb

Rumour has it that one of the IM-1 engineers wanted to treat his cables to the vacuum radiation and cryogenics of deep space.
NOW we are talking. Vacuum and 3K, the very true connection to the Big Bang and the origin of existence. THAT gives you transcendental experience! Now we still need cables from primordial hydrogen in metallic state.

Audiofire

Addicted to Fun and Learning
We need to invent a whole new emoji for that site—perhaps someone rolling eyeballs and puking at the same time. At minimum someone should report this crook to the BBB, FTC or maybe even IC3. Interpol? Oprah? Somebody’s gotta put a stop to it. Or maybe the cops for public indecency—because it’s an orgy of woo.
Who you gonna call ... [play Ghostbusters] is about the only thing we can actually get done.

Top Bottom