• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker Wire 'Burn in'

olieb

The easiest way to get the burn in on the positive side is to take the cables to a commercial heat treater. They'll be able to heat the cable in a vacuum or controlled atmosphere furnace to the required temperature. Chances are that the insulation will need to be replaced. I doubt that the -364 C is something you'll be able to find in most areas. A cheap work around is a liquid nitrogen bath although that won't give you the perfect result. Again the insulation may need to be replaced. ;)
Insulation is overrated anyway, at least the plastic kind. Wires should be in mid air insulated by a vacuum. This connection to the emptiness of space is such a boost to sound quality that already some centimeters in a vacuum tube done in the right way (continuous burn in) give you stellar improvements. Nothing comes close.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am going to have to think about this statement for a long, long time.

;)
I'd considered my own wire. I'd use vacuum tubes. Just connect the heaters straight thru. This way like 75% of the conductor is in a vacuum. You just have to connect the pins together and you'd have a string of vacuum tube, vacuum insulated interconnects or speaker wire. Guess I'd use 12ax7s for interconnect and KT88's for speaker wire. Or I could go DHT's for max tube goodness.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I'd considered my own wire. I'd use vacuum tubes. Just connect the heaters straight thru. This way like 75% of the conductor is in a vacuum. You just have to connect the pins together and you'd have a string of vacuum tube, vacuum insulated interconnects or speaker wire. Guess I'd use 12ax7s for interconnect and KT88's for speaker wire. Or I could go DHT's for max tube goodness.
DSCF6491.jpg

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
13 pages addressing a burn in topic (!) that has managed to stay aloft for three years on this site and I’ve totally lost my ability to trust my Poe’s Law detector.

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The easiest way to get the burn in on the positive side is to take the cables to a commercial heat treater. They'll be able to heat the cable in a vacuum or controlled atmosphere furnace to the required temperature. Chances are that the insulation will need to be replaced. I doubt that the -364 C is something you'll be able to find in most areas. A cheap work around is a liquid nitrogen bath although that won't give you the perfect result. Again the insulation may need to be replaced. ;)

Lol, funny thing is, on certain sites if you are known as a bit of an 'expert' because of some fancy wording, someone with the money, time or means will genuinely try these things.

I'd love to find the very first beginnings of the cable burn in myth, I'm sure it's a really interesting thread for a chuckle. What amazes me is those that have the means for all these magic cables are largely going to be clever or highly educated people as only people in good profession's are going to be able to put down that much cash. The internet has really highlighted that someone can be super intelligent academically, but at the same time completely mentally challenged. It really is amazing how people are so easily manipulated, humankind is devolving when it comes to the mind.

egellings

Major Contributor
And how does it work for recycled metals?
Doesn't the high temperature metal processing used to make or refine the metals themselves already pre-burn in the cables and all the other metals as well in your audio setup as well?

xray

Doesn't the high temperature metal processing used to make or refine the metals themselves already pre-burn in the cables and all the other metals as well in your audio setup as well?
It must be that the heat generated by audio signals is different than the heat generated in a blast furnace. I think if they heated a blast furnace with music it would work. Maybe line the furnace with class A amps.

egellings

Major Contributor
It must be that the heat generated by audio signals is different than the heat generated in a blast furnace. I think if they heated a blast furnace with music it would work. Maybe line the furnace with class A amps.
Ooo-ooh! gotta getta setup like that!

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Lol, funny thing is, on certain sites if you are known as a bit of an 'expert' because of some fancy wording, someone with the money, time or means will genuinely try these things.

I'd love to find the very first beginnings of the cable burn in myth, I'm sure it's a really interesting thread for a chuckle. What amazes me is those that have the means for all these magic cables are largely going to be clever or highly educated people as only people in good profession's are going to be able to put down that much cash. The internet has really highlighted that someone can be super intelligent academically, but at the same time completely mentally challenged. It really is amazing how people are so easily manipulated, humankind is devolving when it comes to the mind.
Yep “too much time on my hands” haha

egellings

Major Contributor

Many highly educated people may not be educated in a technical field and may unknowingly fall prey to cable audiophoolery. Some of the ad copy can sound pretty persuasive in a case like that.

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I interned at a recording studio in college, and I wish I had photos of the rats nest of wires with frayed insulation and taped-together patch cables they routinely used for professional projects. My recollection of the budgets involved and the time constraints at work is such that if anyone invoked utilizing pricey cables or waiting for wires to burn in they would be very briefly side-eyed in wordless rejection.

olieb

Top Bottom