• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Amp Streaming Amplifier Review

Rate this streaming amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 43 10.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 231 55.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 133 31.7%

• Total voters

Talisman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No. It is equivalent to saying that it will not sound nice at all.
Oh but please, these troll games don't make any sense, insinuating nonsense without wanting to take the responsibility of arguing. The third harmonic at -95 db is not audible, stop. It won't sound nice, it won't sound wonderful, it will just sound transparent from this point of view.

Sokel

Master Contributor
My suggestion was to measure the FR of speaker(s) with both a flat FR amp and a load-dependent FR amp, and plot them both together.
So,the suggestion is to measure all speakers in existence with the specific amp (as the result will be random between them) and then decide what suits it?
Isn't that the practice of "matching" speaker+amp that dominated and plagued the hobby just because of such dependencies back in the day?
Are we seriously talking about it?

Yes,it has features,is dead cheap (and that's it's main strength ) ,etc.
But cutting corners can have results like this.Specially if the technology already exists to make it right,I know people wouldn't object to pay a premium to have an amp without dependencies of any kind as we see in every thread with amps with dependencies.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So,the suggestion is to measure all speakers in existence with the specific amp (as the result will be random between them) and then decide what suits it?
No. He is saying show example measurements of a real speaker and show the impact rather than an electronic emulation.

Sokel

Master Contributor
No. He is saying show example measurements of a real speaker and show the impact rather than an electronic emulation.
Isn't that what the load test (with resistors or speakers) shows in the charts?
Or you mean the actual acoustic outcome will not represent what we see in the charts?

I don't have the equipment for that,that's why I depend on you or Erin,or other trustworthy people.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think this is more about a visual representation with the 59dB scale to show how little difference it really makes.

Inertiaman

Forum Donor
Isn't that what the load test (with resistors or speakers) shows in the charts?
Or you mean the actual acoustic outcome will not represent what we see in the charts?

I don't have the equipment for that,that's why I depend on you or Erin,or other trustworthy people.
The test loads are artificial, not actual speakers. The loads are useful, but not necessarily an accurate representation (to the detail the audience here wants) of the actual, real world interplay of a speaker's highly variable impedance and the Wiim (or similar) amp's load dependency.

Hence my suggestion to test one or several speakers -- of course not all speakers in existence, duh -- and show the actual result on speaker output FR. Some popular speakers (DBR62, Revel M16) would be a logical choice, but also perhaps an oddball speaker w/ particularly problematic impedance might be illustrative.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Hence my suggestion to test one or several speakers -- of course not all speakers in existence, duh -- and show the actual result on speaker output FR. Some popular speakers (DBR62, Revel M16) would be a logical choice, but also perhaps an oddball speaker w/ particularly problematic impedance might be illustrative.
You mean acoustically?
I totally agree on that,I love tests (obviously) specially if the result can be recorded and ABX'ed by the folks here and more so with gear like Amir's which are of the highest quality.
That would be usefull for a broad view,specially if the speakers are representative of some majority,like for example ctrl said,deviations of 2 and 60 ohm are not unusual.

harkpabst

Will it drive a pair of KEF LS50?
It actually does. Easily. Talking from theory and practice.

Add a decent sub, cross it as high as possible (80 Hz working fine in any case, preferably 100 to 150 Hz depending on if you can place it right in front of you between the speakers) and you will be blown away, literally.

harkpabst

Again, WiiM
If WiiM ever makes a WiiM Amp Super Deluxe Infinity and Beyond with more power, PFFB, 10-band PEQ, room correction, pre-out, and a big fat display, I'd absolutely shell out NAD D 3045 money for that, no hesitation.
At least room correction has been confirmed to be "actively worked on" for the current product range by WiiM, including the current Amp. Should it come independently of and in addition to PEQ, then I think the need for more bands is no longer as pressing.

Room correction. I remember seeing a video of the UK’s premiere room treatment company, and they had a demo room on which they’d spent many tens of thousands of pounds treating, and the boss was happy to concede it still wasn’t perfect.

I know that regularly, when room correction is discussed, we’re told that we’d absolutely hate listening in an anechoic chamber, and that our ears/brains need a ‘real’ room, inevitably with errors. So where do you draw the line?
I think you put things together quite nicely, but is there really any contradiction in what those two paragraphs are pointing to?

Did you ever spend time in an anechoic chamber? The environment makes you feel uncomfortable instantly and can drive you nuts within minutes. So, even if it was possible to recreate this in our homes, we wouldn't want it that way. That's unfortunate, because things would be much easier if we would all live in "non-rooms" and all the ambience and atmosphere was just that captured in the recording ... but this concept doesn't work, either.

First of all, even those recordings made in natural sounding facilities like concert halls or similar environments are not mastered to be played back in anechoic chambers. Nobody in his right mind would go for that approach (because of the reasons named above). Even if producers would change their minds and separately sell an "anechoic version" of the artist's work (whatever his or her intention might have been), a stereo setup (and stereo recording) would be insufficient to recreate the original sound field.

What's that? Two ears, two speakers, two mics, right? No, wrong. Two channel stereo is an illusion. It's a very good illusion, plenty good enough for me. But for it to work out, our hearing really does need some room information. The fun aspect is that it doesn't necessarily have to equal the room the recording was made in too closely. As long as there is some reasonable, consistent acoustic representation of a room (just lacking unpleasant and distracting things like unnatural early reflections, excessive bass boom, echos) our brain will happily fill in the gaps and disregard what our eyes add to the picture.

Getting back to the concept of room correction this is consistent with what Peter Lyngdorf, founder (or co-founder) of Lyngdorf Audio, Steinway Lyngdorf, HiFi Klubben, Dali, NAD and lots of other audio businesses is proposing: Don't waste thousends of bucks on room treatment. A good room correction system (which has to be RoomPerfect in his case, of course) will yield much better results at much lesser cost. I mostly agree with that (although a good thick rug and typical living room real world living room furniture, not shown in journals for interior design, will surely do some good).

- don't like that it's actually dressed-up Fosiyima
Looks like you didn't spend much time on what this product has to offer.

Years-long reliability under every-day usage would be kind of surprising.
It wouldn't surprise me at all. How did you come to this conclusion? Everything is made to a budget. In this case we have e.g. a mass market class D power chip introduced in 2016, a mass market audio processing SoC introduced in 2017, a mass market DAC introduced in 2021 (based on a 2014 design), a mass market ADC introduced in 2014 and so on. That's where costs have been cut, obviously. I do not foresee any reliability issues here.

Since you obviously adopted the statement from @martin900: That reasoning is nonsense and deserves to be called out as such. Your avatar might imply (but I don't really know) that everything dominated by massive amounts of 2nd order harmonic will sound nice? Just asking.

Last edited:

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
On a macro level I tend toward absolutely loving this thing. I personally doubt I’d ever buy it. But it’s hard to deny it delivers a lot for a very small price. If nothing else it might drive down cost for others with a broader feature set and more brand cache. That is the glass half full version I’ll take on it.

harkpabst

As was mentioned before, this device could be OK for using it on your desktop as some external sound card to your computer, or in connection with your TV, watching crappy ads stuff. I won’t encourage you to expect much more.
No, it probably wouldn't since it cannot be connected to your computer through USB as some external sound card.

Luckily, you can really expect much more. Crappy stuff surely will sound crappy, for instance.

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You mean it's more than a streaming service client+app+PEQ on a top of a... yes, Fosiyima-grade amp?
Yes, actually.
And a lot of companies, some established and some new, use TI chips in their gear, just because it shares a component with a Fosiyama amp, doesn't mean it is a dressed up version.

mikessi

- don't like that it's actually dressed-up Fosiyima
Not at all. A Fosi is lame, even if the performance is OK, because of that dongly power adapter. This Wiim Amp has no need for an external power adapter nearly as big as the amp itself, one more of these annoying devices buzzing and humming and littering the outlets around your audio/video system, with yet more cables too.

With the built-in PSU and removable AC cord, the Wiim Amp is much closer to a very small old-school integrated amp. Except it has utterly modern features none of them ever had. I'll happily take the Wiim Pro over any of umpteen shiny silver or gleaming black integrated amps from the past -- Sony ES, Pioneer, Naim Nait, etc.

People, take a breath -- this is a budget amp for non-audiophiles who will be delighted at the big step up from earbud phone audio, ancient stereos, Google speakers or Alexas. It is not for idiophiliac obsessives. :D

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

And the troll dance begins...

That's enough in this thread.

rj2wells

After all this a Made-in-China mass product, most probably designed under pretty strict costs restraints. Years-long reliability under every-day usage would be kind of surprising.

Of course it's got cost constraints.

I check the Amazon 1 star reviews before I buy any electronics. For Fosi and Wiim I see the worst reviews say it wouldn't turn on, one channel died, it shut off after ten minutes, overheated and shut down, etc

That's what I want to see, so I went ahead and bought. I know low cost products will have some duds and some failures. That's ok.

The products I pass on are the electronics where the 1 star review say it melted, caught on fire, smoke was coming out, smelled like melting plastic and made weird noises, almost burned their house down.

The 1 stars with these show the companies engineered these devices well because they fail in a safe way

And if that happens, I will buy another

capslock

So two faults stand out:
1. ~ -94 dB HD3. Not pretty, but probably not audible. But is this nonlinearity the same thing that gives rise to the lackluster IMD performance?
2. It totally falls apart at 20 Hz. So if you use it, use with the integrated high-pass option and get a different amp to drive the subwoofer.

PS: Why doesn't the Wiim Pro Plus have a subwoofer XO and sub out? It is strange how the Wiim Mini, Pro/Pro Puls and Amp all have different feature sets, e.g. the Mini does not do Chromecast, or the Pro/Pro Plus do Chromecast but not sub out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom