• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is it with the KEF Blade (meta)?

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some Genelecs are 30 years old and still working and they Still have parts for them .
I doubt anyone wouldn't get bored with a speaker for 30 years and won't replace it before then
I bought my Frazier Super Monte Carlos in 1977 & they are still in use in one of my systems.

I bought my Dahlquist M-905's in the late 1980's (which tested to these results):

The close-miked woofer (and port) response was also considerably flatter than we have measured from most speakers, with a very small bass-resonance peak. At the system resonance of 60 Hz, the output was only about 2 dB above its average level in the upper part of the woofer’s range, and even that minor output variation was spread over almost two octaves. When the bass curve was spliced to the room-response measurement, the resulting composite frequency response was flat within about ±2 dB from 26 to 20,000 Hz. The horizontal directivity of the tweeter was only discernible in the room measurement above 10,000 Hz.

We measured the sensitivity of the M-905 as 87 dB SPL, which was lower than the rated 91 dB but still about average for speakers of its size. The difference may have been a result of different test conditions since we used a full-range pink-noise signal while Dahlquist’s rating was made at 1,000 Hz. The system’s minimum impedance was about 4.8 ohms in the 8,000- to 10,000-Hz region, and it measured 7 ohms at 150 to 200 Hz. Its maximum impedance was 28 ohms at 60 Hz, and there was a broad peak of 18 ohms in the vicinity of 1,500 Hz.

We measured the woofer’s distortion with a 4-volt drive level, corresponding to a 90-dB SPL at 1 meter. The distortion was less than 1 percent from 100 Hz down to almost 60 Hz, the effective crossover to the port. Below that crossover the distortion rose to 5 percent at 45 Hz and 9 percent at 35 Hz. In high-power tests with single-cycle tone bursts, the woofer began to sound “hard” at about 350 watts into its 8.5-ohm impedance at 100 Hz. At higher frequencies the amplifier clipped—at outputs of 490 watts at 1.000 Hz and 1,380 watts at 10,000 Hz—before distortion became visible on the acoustic waveform.

Quasi-anechoic FFT measurements showed an overall group-delay variation of about 0.1 millisecond between 4,000 and 20,000 Hz and 0.5 ms between 1,000 and 20.000 Hz, convincing evidence of the attention paid to the phase characteristics of the M-905.

I have never felt the NEED for anything newer, although I have added some custom made passive sub's (by me) to give a bit more up to 80 Hz (to both the Frazier's & the DQ M-905's.
I am finally intrigued by something else: the KEF LS60.
Mainly because I have moved into a home that is less than 1/2 the size of where I was at.
I'll be in some place larger again, in a few years.
& maybe I won't change but maybe I will.

steve59

Major Contributor
Congrats!!!

Morpheus

Forum Donor
QUOTE "I'm not sure the Blade looks that much better than the 8381"

If your significant other is into modern design, they will find the Blade probably palatable. I love them aesthetically, and I own a 205 Kef Ref in cherry, my family likes them in our living room. The Genelec on the other hand is a monstruosity nobody but us obsessed with the best sound could possibly endure in a living room..I also own and love a great pair of Genelc 1037B, with veneer and grills and all....Ask me how much air time they get in our living room.. ;)

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
How much better is the Blade vs the Reference 5 Meta for example ?
Does it justify the price difference vs other KEF models?
Is the coaxial driver on the Blade Meta better than other KEF models ?

Descartes

Major Contributor

If your significant other is into modern design, they will find the Blade probably palatable. I love them aesthetically, and I own a 205 Kef Ref in cherry, my family likes them in our living room. The Genelec on the other hand is a monstruosity nobody but us obsessed with the best sound could possibly endure in a living room..I also own and love a great pair of Genelc 1037B, with veneer and grills and all....Ask me how much air time they get in our living room.. ;)
Interesting, I thought the Genelec the Ones look kind of cool! But then again I am a geek :)

Descartes

Major Contributor
The only way to find out is to go and listen for yourself!

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting, I thought the Genelec the Ones look kind of cool! But then again I am a geek :)
I mean if they made a floorstander in the shape of the Ones I think it would be pretty nice looking. Maybe the nice looking matching stand would work. W371 do not complete the aesthetics very well. But they sound amazing.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At this point in my audiophile journey, I'd jump on a pair of Genelec W371A+ 8351B combo, without merely looking at the Kef Blades...

YMMV.

Peace.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At this point in my audiophile journey, I'd jump on a pair of Genelec W371A+ 8351B combo, without merely looking at the Kef Blades...

YMMV.

Peace.
It will be the end of your journey too. I do like what Trinnov does to them though.

this is me

When I bought my Blade One Meta, it was my every intention of getting the Ref5M after a couple of auditions at the dealer. However, on my day of putting the deposit for the order(I wanted a custom color) of Ref5M, I asked them to put on the BOM for me for a quick listen. That quick listen turned out to be 2 hours later and an order of the BOM and costing me 10k more.
The BOM sounded bigger. The sound just wraps around you and has that aura of every single instruments and singer(s) around you. Not to mention the bass coming from the larger LF drivers. Is it worth 10k more? To me, yes. Because I know how they sound and how the Ref5M sound.
I’m more than a year in with the BOM and loving them like day one. I’m driving them with 2x Luxman M-10X in mono.
I think the Ref5M is probably more in line with Bade Two Meta as they share the same LF drivers. I didn’t audition the BTM after the BOM. I was ready to pay the price after hearing the BOM.
BUT you should get a Genelec!

Last edited:

steve59

Major Contributor
The Uniq driver on the blade 1 and 2 are unique to the speakers using a 3" voice coil and a bunch of other stuff they could dream up at the time. The meta series shares the same uniq driver as the reference series, as to crossover points or design KEF probably provides that info.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wild that anyone would say this.

On one side we have basically a famous 20th century sculpture with some speaker drivers on it.

On the other, we have what appears to be industrial packaging equipment that happens to sound really nice.

I guess it just goes to show there will always be room for a few brands in the speaker market, even if sound quality is someday fully perfected.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
The Uniq driver on the blade 1 and 2 are unique to the speakers using a 3" voice coil and a bunch of other stuff they could dream up at the time. The meta series shares the same uniq driver as the reference series, as to crossover points or design KEF probably provides that info.
So they downgraded the Uniq driver on the Blade Meta from the Uniq driver that was on the original Blade?

steve59

Major Contributor
So they downgraded the Uniq driver on the Blade Meta from the Uniq driver that was on the original Blade?
I don't know if it's a downgrade, upgrade, lateral move or just economics, but the new Blade meta and Reference meta now use the same mid/tweeter while the previous blade had it's own uniq.

Top Bottom