• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Qudelix-5K Bluetooth DAC & Headphone Amp

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You could use some 5min epoxy and a toothpick or needle to place a few tiny epoxy droplets on one of the rocker switches to add texture.
The blue upper switch already has a 'pimple' on it.

I could, but then I’d still have to remember which rocker switch did what!
id like to see just one rocker for volume up and down, a button for Bluetooth pairing / power, and one (or three) buttons for play/pause, rewind and forward

I find the RL+BL button combination better for turning the Q5K on and off as it involves pinching two opposed buttons. This has to be enabled in the settings...

1699915754673.png

Also, I always clip the Q5K to my shirt with the red button upwards, so I know the volume is on top.

Oso Polar

You could use some 5min epoxy and a toothpick or needle to place a few tiny epoxy droplets on one of the rocker switches to add texture.
They are already different - one has a ledge (bump? - not sure what is the correct word), so they are easily distinguishable.

But
still have to remember which rocker switch did what
part remains. :)

otseiTiesto

If only they could attach their nice PEQ firmware to a competitive 3.5+4.4mm dual 43131 DAC...
Possible candidate, if it uses a QCC5124 (BT5.0), but no App available.

iFi Audio GO Blu: 3.5mm SE + 4.4mm Bal ; Qualcomm QCC512x + Cirrus Logic CS43131 ; LDAC, LHDC, aptX-Adaptive, aptX-HD, aptX-LL, AAC, aptX, SBC ; USB DAC ; MSRP: $199

f748f605886eab4b33706dd48dc171fb.jpg

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, one of them already has a big hump at the top .

But I do agree that if youre groping in (hopefully your own) pocket, its far from obvious.

Mulder

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I bought this in November and was initially very pleased. But after two weeks it could no longer be powered on. When I pressed the power-on button, the led light lit up, but the device itself did not start. Consequently, I was also unable to connect to the mobile app. Now I have written four emails to their customer support without getting any answer and I have tried to communicate on their forum, without getting any answer. Now I luckily bought it on Amazon, and their return policy is generous. But I have to say that Quedelix is lousy in terms of customer support. I have also read on the web that I am not the only one with this problem.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought this in November and was initially very pleased. But after two weeks it could no longer be powered on. When I pressed the power-on button, the led light lit up, but the device itself did not start. Consequently, I was also unable to connect to the mobile app. Now I have written four emails to their customer support without getting any answer and I have tried to communicate on their forum, without getting any answer. Now I luckily bought it on Amazon, and their return policy is generous. But I have to say that Quedelix is lousy in terms of customer support. I have also read on the web that I am not the only one with this problem.

Have you tried plugging the Q5K into a PC and communicating with it via the Chrome add-in?

I haven't been on the Qudelix forums for a while, but I just took a look. There seem to be quite a few people complaining on there who don't actually understand what they are talking about (e.g. the fundamental difference between graphical EQ and parametric EQ). The language barrier also seems to be a bit problem for some, I think they need to be a bit more patient and much less rude to Qudelix and the other forum members.

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes. The computer recognices the DAC, but it can’t connect to it. The Chrome add-in can’t connect.

It used to be possible to push a firmware update directly from Windows using the DFU feature, however I see no mention of this in the current manual, so maybe they dropped support for that in the newer firmware. I don't think there's any way to reset the device without access to the app or add-in, so I guess you'll have to avail yourself of Amazons generous returns policy.

Metrallaroja

You could just use them with your smartphone. A dongle DAC would probably be technically better, but don't expect any audible improvement.

An Apple dongle is good enough. If you're not in the US, see if you can buy an A2049 model off eBay, that one has the full output voltage.
If you're in the US, then you can buy an A2049 directly from Apple.

One annoying quirk of the Apple dongle is that it defaults to less than 100% hardware volume when plugged it into an Android phone.
If you just plug it into your phone, set volume to Max, and start listening to Youtube, Spotify, etc. then volume will be just 25% of max:
View attachment 228190
To fix it, you have to do the following:
1. install USB Audio Player Pro or Hiby Music from the Play Store
2. plug the dongle into your phone.
3. wait for Android to ask which App to open the device with. Choose your player and tap OK
View attachment 228192
4. go the the Hardware volume control and set it to 100%:
View attachment 228193 View attachment 228194
5. exit the player.
View attachment 228195
Now you have almost full volume (90%) in every App:
View attachment 228196

next time you plug in the dongle, the sequence is a bit simpler, because UAPP will remember your last set hardware volume:
1. plug the dongle into your phone.
2. wait for Android to ask which App to open the device with. Choose your player and tap OK
View attachment 228192
3. UAPP opens and automatically sets hardware volume to 100% (last set value)
4. exit UAPP
View attachment 228195

Note that you still won't get full volume in normal Apps like Youtube etc, only 90%. That's the same for every dongle.
If you want 100% volume, then you have to play your music via USB Audio Player Pro, Hiby Music, or Neutron directly:
View attachment 228198
When I do this I get lots of distortion and audio glitches on the other apps, any idea why this happens?

Metrallaroja

I don't, unfortunately. It has to be a ROM-specific issue.

Other people are experiencing it as well:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...le-usb-c-headphone-adapters.5541/post-1804556
Just fixed it with this, do you know if there is any option to ''release inactive device'' but on USB audio player pro? That would be neat.
Thanks anyways.
edit3 issue fully solved :
i came across a reddit thread that solved my issue using Neutron Player trail:
"open Settings -> Audio Hardware -> Direct USB Access -> Release Inactive Device

With these settings on, put dac volume to max and play a song in Neutron Player.

Then pause the song. You will get this max volume in all other apps now."

staticV3

Master Contributor
Just fixed it with this, do you know if there is any option to ''release inactive device'' but on USB audio player pro? That would be neat.
Under UAPP Settings->System there's "Release USB audio driver on Home".

Demir958

Qudelix has been a game changer to me. Even with some TOTL iems I really enjoy to eq a bit, usually to stick close to Harman’s, sometimes to better fit my mood.

I use an iPhone as my DAP and tried (almost ?) every available player out there. Neutron player is great for equing but otherwise is a pain for offline listening (let alone the UI). I currently use Plexamp.

SQ-wise I wouldn’t say Qudelix changed much but it drives some of the less sensitive item effortlessly and any of my headphones using the balanced output.

Both the device and the app work great. I really appreciate the app, no frills, easy to use, really responsive and a lot of control over the available features.

Really happy and thought I should share.

PS: Fiio BTR5 for sale ;-)
I was thinking of buying btr5. I couldn't decide what to buy because there is no ldac support on iPhone devices and ACC tests are weak.

Demir958

What is the most suitable product for iPhone in terms of Bluetooth performance? I wanted to buy a DC04 Pro, but later I wanted it to have Bluetooth. I could not find a suitable product with good ACC performance. How about G5?

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So I've been avoiding devices like this but seem to have come full circle due to issues getting Wavelet to work on my Pixel 8 (worked great on my P4a). And with the loss of my headphone jack (grr), there is a need for a dongle, and the well-tested Apple dongle is weak on Android. The P8 is a nice phone but my music world has been disrupted...I'm a turtle flat on my back.

So my needs are: DAC/Amp, and EQ.

I'm not loving the idea of adding a device to my daily carry. It also seems in the years since this was released it is due for a design refresh since there are so many comments about the controls. Anyone know if a new version is in the works? A bit slimmer case would be nice, too.

CedarX

Forum Donor
So I've been avoiding devices like this but seem to have come full circle due to issues getting Wavelet to work on my Pixel 8 (worked great on my P4a). And with the loss of my headphone jack (grr), the

So my needs are: DAC/Amp, and EQ.

I'm not loving the idea of adding a device to my daily carry. It also seems in the years since this was released it is due for a design refresh since there are so many comments about the controls. Anyone know if a new version is in the works? A bit slimmer case would be nice, too.
What headphones? IEMs? EQ like basic 5-bands, or a full PEQ?

I haven’t read anything about a new/updated Q5K. At the same time, it does not need much update IMO: the App & Chrome extension are still top notch—nothing gets close—the DAC/amp is fine (and has been updated), replacing the 2.5mm with a 4.4mm output is about all it needs. As far as the controls, the recent T71 is not really better so I guess that’s part of Qudelix DNA :)

Last edited:

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What headphones? IEMs? EQ like basic 5-bands, or a full PEQ?

I haven’t read anything about a new/updated Q5K. At the same time, it does not need much update IMO: the App & Chrome extension are still top notch—nothing get close—the DAC/amp is fine (and has been updated), replacing the 2.5mm with a 4.4mm output is about all it needs. As far as the controls, the recent T71 is not really better so I guess that’s part of Qudelix DNA :)
IMO it's still hands down the best portable eq/DAC/amp solution there is, and I believe it's still the only solution available with proper PEQ for a mobile user.

t$$

... issues getting Wavelet to work on my Pixel 8 (worked great on my P4a)...

Wavelet works fine on my Pixel 7 with latest Android, wonder what is different about your Pixel 8?

I use my Q5 as the primary DAC on my PC but also have my phone paired with it, so I can easily switch between PC and Phone without removing my IEMs, I use the PEQ rather than Wavelet with those headphones.

On the go, I use Jabra 85t with Wavelet (and the Jabra eq flat)

CedarX

Forum Donor
it's still the only solution available with proper PEQ for a mobile user.
The Fiio BTR15 is, on paper, equivalent or even better. But I’ve never been impressed with Fiio’s ability to deliver bug-free software, nor their follow-up to fix & improve things.

Top Bottom