• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Review (Streamer)

Rate this streamer:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 2.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 46 9.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 232 48.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 188 39.3%

• Total voters

John.D

Hi All,
This WIIM mini's DAC analog out performance is more or less around budget 3255 amps like aiyima, i mean SINAD ~ 85. Does it mean that WIIM mini and these small amplifiers are close enough match?
So unless I go for better amplifier, no real benefit of going for bigger WIIM or a separate DAC?
My planned used case is simple:
Phone/TV >>> WIIM streamer >>> Amplifier (aiyima a07 max) >>> ELAC debut speakers

I have no plans to upgrade amplifier or speakers.

Your opinion and suggestions please.

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi All,
This WIIM mini's DAC analog out performance is more or less around budget 3255 amps like aiyima, i mean SINAD ~ 85. Does it mean that WIIM mini and these small amplifiers are close enough match?
So unless I go for better amplifier, no real benefit of going for bigger WIIM or a separate DAC?
Phone/TV >>> WIIM streamer >>> Amplifier (aiyima a07 max) >>> ELAC debut speakers

that's a solid low end set up, it should be great...the wiim is very good at delivering content, i had one for a while but went back to fire stick (because i already had it and the wiim was still inside the return window) when amazon *finally*did an adequate bug fix...i'd still get a wiim mini over the fire stick if i was starting out now,,,the dac is fine , it's as good as the dac in my avr...btw , imo, dacs are overrated as difference makers (but i'm no expert)...

John.D

that's a solid low end set up, it should be great...the wiim is very good at delivering content, i had one for a while but went back to fire stick (because i already had it and the wiim was still inside the return window) when amazon *finally*did an adequate bug fix...i'd still get a wiim mini over the fire stick if i was starting out now,,,the dac is fine , it's as good as the dac in my avr...btw , imo, dacs are overrated as difference makers (but i'm no expert)...

Thanks, but how did you analog out fire stick to amplifier?

I am trying to clear the basics in my head as to what to be matched when buying products to create setup like this.
We thankfully have SINAD measurement list on ASR for DACs and amplifiers, and so similar SINAD DAC should be good enough for similar SINAD amplifier.
I do see reason why someone would prefer WIIM Pro or Pro plus over mini, but if pairing it with budget 3255 amplifier then are there performance benefit (not features).

imral3

Hi All,

Buy the mini and listen to it. I'm sure it'll sound just fine in your setup. If you find it's internal DAC to be lacking, then you buy a good, budget, external DAC. Easy peasy.

jooc

Hi All,

I think I could actually hear a slight difference between the SMSL SU-1 and the internal Mini DAC, tried with some a/b testing going to Aiyima A07 to the same model of sony speakers. My opinion is that both the A07 and those Elac Debut speakers are good enough that I would suggest adding an inexpensive but well-reviewed DAC to your mini stack. SMSL Su-1 would be my choice at this point.

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Buy the mini and listen to it. I'm sure it'll sound just fine in your setup. If you find it's internal DAC to be lacking, then you buy a good, budget, external DAC. Easy peasy.

Thanks for this, but main question is still remains as it is.
From technical standpoint, how would you match DAC and amplifier?

In this given situation, my amplifier is fixed, which has around 85 dB SINAD. Considering this, is there any point in getting a DAC with higher SINAD than 85 dB?

Last edited:

imral3

Thanks for this, but my main question is still remains as it is.

In this given situation, my amplifier is fixed, which has around 85 dB SINAD. Considering this, is there any point in getting a DAC with higher SINAD than 85 dB?

I think you are over analyzing it.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for this, but my main question is still remains as it is.

Lots of people have a DAC with higher SINAD measurements than the amp. That's not unusual at all. It's certainly not a waste of money. You may or may not hear a difference, but I find the Wiim mini with a nice performing DAC using the optical out is my preferred configuration.

BitPerfect_

I just asked Support about this, and this was their response;

Now we don't have permissions to integrate Apple Music into WiiM mini, we need get the permissions from Apple and we are working on that.
In the meantime, use AirPlay 2 to stream Apple Music from your Apple device (Mac, iPhone, iPad, Apple TV) to the WiiM Mini. Or, you can use Siri to voice control the Apple Music playback on WiiM Mini. If you have HomePod or HomePod Mini, you could group WiiM Mini with these devices for a multi-room music system.
Regarding the possibility to stream Apple Music Hi-Res 24/192 via Optical output > DAC , WiiM mini / Pro / Pro Plus have any upgrade, it was solved in the meantime?
I'm not referring at streaming via Airplay2 which at this moment is not Hi-res.
Thanks,

Brantome

Major Contributor
Regarding the possibility to stream Apple Music Hi-Res 24/192 via Optical output > DAC , WiiM mini / Pro / Pro Plus have any upgrade, it was solved in the meantime?
I'm not referring at streaming via Airplay2 which at this moment is not Hi-res.
Thanks,
No, and I wouldn’t hold my breath it’ll ever come, but I’ve been surprised before ;) Even those few companies like Sonos and Tesla who have access to the Apple Music API still only deliver lossy AAC. If you want hi res Apple Music in a streamer, you need to consider much more expensive devices like the Eversolo DMP-A6 or Fiio models which use the native Apple Music app on Android with a tailored audio subsystem to deliver hi res.

LuckyLyndy

I have a question on compatibility. I have the WiiM Mini, and would like to use the Libby Audiobook app on my phone/tablet to stream audiobooks through the WiiM on my main stereo. What I have been doing is just playing the audiobooks off my phone/tablet and using my BT earbuds.
But it would be more comfortable to listen through the stereo.
Here is the Libby connection page:

Brantome

Major Contributor
I have a question on compatibility. I have the WiiM Mini, and would like to use the Libby Audiobook app on my phone/tablet to stream audiobooks through the WiiM on my main stereo. What I have been doing is just playing the audiobooks off my phone/tablet and using my BT earbuds.
But it would be more comfortable to listen through the stereo.
Here is the Libby connection page:
Simply pair your phone/tablet with your WiiM Mini viz. in the WiiM Home app, select your WiiM Mini then its settings, scroll down to Audio Input then choose Bluetooth. On phone/ tablet, get it to scan for new Bluetooth devices then choose your WiiM Mini. Play your app as usual and the audio should now come from your stereo via the Mini.

LuckyLyndy

Simply pair your phone/tablet with your WiiM Mini viz. in the WiiM Home app, select your WiiM Mini then its settings, scroll down to Audio Input then choose Bluetooth. On phone/ tablet, get it to scan for new Bluetooth devices then choose your WiiM Mini. Play your app as usual and the audio should now come from your stereo via the Mini.
Thank you! I usually use the audiobooks for walks, but this week has been wicked cold in the Midwest. Much appreciated!!!

Witterings

I usually use the audiobooks for walks, but this week has been wicked cold in the Midwest.

Choose the right clothing and it's never too cold ... there's no such thing as poor weather it's just wrong choice of clothing for the weather :)

That said even with the right clothing I hate the rain ... especially if it's minus degrees .... and don't forget 50+ mph winds tp go with the rain :facepalm::D:D

Turambar

Too bad Apple don’t have a published API third parties can use for their hi res music service, but maintain their walled garden approach…
Right, but how are managing this situation DAP manufacturers, like FiiO, to run Apple Music in HiRes, no resampling?. They use Android, but couldn't WiiM do the same in their own platform?.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Right, but how are managing this situation DAP manufacturers, like FiiO, to run Apple Music in HiRes, no resampling?. They use Android, but couldn't WiiM do the same in their own platform?.
WiiM devices run a lean version of Linux (Tina Linux from memory) so they’d need to re-develop from the ground up, and probably would need new hardware with more cpu and ram (plus don’t you need a paid licence to run Android (?)), so might well end up in a similar price range to the two you mention. And from what I read, Eversolo’s implementation means that you either need to use the device’s own screen to control Apple Music, or a pseudo remote screen implementation similar I guess to the VLC remote control app on your phone so “integration” with their own app is a bit of a fudge too imho…

Top Bottom