• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apple is forced to allow installation of 3rd party Apps (outside of their official store) in the EU

Do you believe this development is a positive/negative step for consumers?

• Positive

Votes: 25 55.6%
  • Negative

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • Doesn’t matter to me, I’m on Android.

Votes: 9 20.0%

• Total voters

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
I've been a PC user since DOS 3. There was never a concept of "sideloading" because all apps (including Microsoft's) were installed the same way. It's only with modern versions of Windows where Microsoft try to imply that everything should come from their store, meanwhile filling (and endlessly patching) the computer with utter unwanted "free" dross of their own making, that sideloading even has any meaning in PC land.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
I've been a PC user since DOS 3. There was never a concept of "sideloading" because all apps (including Microsoft's) were installed the same way. It's only with modern versions of Windows where Microsoft try to imply that everything should come from their store, meanwhile filling (and endlessly patching) the computer with utter unwanted "free" dross of their own making, that sideloading even has any meaning in PC land.
It's really been only an Android term until, well, now.

I've been "providing technical support" in various ways since DOS 2. And the best I can say is that at least the free stuff in Windows comes from Microsoft these days. I've had quite enough of free McAfee and trials of Adobe stuff to remove from computers, quite apart from how "anti virus" programs from other providers slowly became straitjackets that you couldn't get to work with legitimate products, but malware and ransomware just marched straight past, or even exploited.

I'd like to know who exactly is responsible for the TPM mess though.

My machine (which has AMD "firmware TPM", not the real thing) is back to crashing every other day because of a problem introduced by a certificate that is happily not provided by AMD - for security reasons, of course - that is required for the thing to work properly. They seem to have admitted that it's an issue now, at least. And my system board doesn't have the connector for a proper hardware one, so it looks like it's a new machine for me, since the only fix possible is a BIOS rewrite which is unlikely for this model anytime soon.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
It's really been only an Android term until, well, now.

I've been "providing technical support" in various ways since DOS 2. And the best I can say is that at least the free stuff in Windows comes from Microsoft these days. I've had quite enough of free McAfee and trials of Adobe stuff to remove from computers, quite apart from how "anti virus" programs from other providers slowly became straitjackets that you couldn't get to work with legitimate products, but malware and ransomware just marched straight past, or even exploited.

I'd like to know who exactly is responsible for the TPM mess though.

My machine (which has AMD "firmware TPM", not the real thing) is back to crashing every other day because of a problem introduced by a certificate that is happily not provided by AMD - for security reasons, of course - that is required for the thing to work properly. They seem to have admitted that it's an issue now, at least. And my system board doesn't have the connector for a proper hardware one, so it looks like it's a new machine for me, since the only fix possible is a BIOS rewrite which is unlikely for this model anytime soon.
I did corporate PC support and ran a corporate helpdesk during the switch from DOS to Windows, so I sympathise.

Fortunately I've got a TPM chip so Windows 11 runs OK. Well I say OK, this afternoon it reset Windows and uninstalled all applications. I think they are having problems. There's also been an issue with BIOS signing root certificates being compromised and I think that's causing issues.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Technically side loading of apps has been ongoing on Mac's for a while with Homebrew and other package handlers. Opening up iOS has been the major fight because of the stringent 30% margin Apple charges most developers for using their app store. Speaking from the viewpoint of security, sideloading has it's risks but it's unto the end user to know if they're willing to part with security and sensitive data.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Time to obliterate the walled garden! :D
Well with Apple winning it's litigation against Epic, that walled garden being torn down may have to wait.

jhwalker

Personally, I'm an iOS user BECAUSE of the control. I PREFER a system where the apps all come from the same place, are vetted before posting, etc.

The times I've had to use (or FIX) a colleague's Android phone, it has been a literal nightmare. Nothing's in the same place, the look and feel of each phone / each OS version, etc., is different, etc. *shudder*

WRT "sideloading" in macOS - well, I'd just as soon everything come through the App Store there, as well, but the few apps I actually do install from outside (another poster mentioned REW, above) I make VERY sure are legitimate before installing. Like Android, I find Windows a bit of a mess vs. macOS, though I use it when I must.

slaweks

Forum Donor
Personally, I'm an iOS user BECAUSE of the control. I PREFER a system where the apps all come from the same place, are vetted before posting, etc.

The times I've had to use (or FIX) a colleague's Android phone, it has been a literal nightmare. Nothing's in the same place, the look and feel of each phone / each OS version, etc., is different, etc. *shudder*

WRT "sideloading" in macOS - well, I'd just as soon everything come through the App Store there, as well, but the few apps I actually do install from outside (another poster mentioned REW, above) I make VERY sure are legitimate before installing. Like Android, I find Windows a bit of a mess vs. macOS, though I use it when I must.
So, in a non-Apple world you have choice. No one is forcing you to install shady apps.

Madlop26

I used jailbreak my iPhones years ago, but the apps were in vast majority poorly design, glitchy. got annoyed fast. Reliability is the major benefit of a close system, and many people have it as a greater priority than versatility.

poxymoron

I can think of two easy ways:

1. Put a different revision of the OS for phones sold in EU. Microsoft did this by building special version of Windows for a few countries.

2. Same version of the OS but look up the cellular connection. This only impacts whether the OS allows side loading. There is no impact on apps.
When using the lottery app in Ireland, when you login on the app you have to allow the app to geolocate your phone to confirm you are in Ireland or else you cannot use the app to purchase a ticket. I was in Belgium today so I couldn't purchase a ticket for tonight's lottery. It's a large jackpot (nothing like the US or Spanish lotteries though), and that's the only time I purchase a ticket. Something similar could easily be implemented on iOS.

Jeromeof

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So, in a non-Apple world you have choice. No one is forcing you to install shady apps.
That was usual argument but I have seen lots of websites with dodgy apps trying very hard to persuade Android users who don’t know better, how to download their dodgy app ( no doubt persuading the user they will be perfectly safe and they are just a few clicks from getting rich !!

Most people are stupid with technology!

Galliardist

Major Contributor
If you want choice in a non Apple world though, there is indeed a non-Apple world… one where people end up with tbe bad stuff whether they install it themselves or not.

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
You can install any app for any platform, except iOS.

The fact that it took Apple like 15 years to open the platform speaks volumes to their control.

As usual, it takes either a class-action lawsuit or a government entity to step in, to mandate such basic things.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can install any app for any platform, except iOS.

The fact that it took Apple like 15 years to open the platform speaks volumes to their control.

As usual, it takes either a class-action lawsuit or a government entity to step in, to mandate such basic things.
Interesting fact is that Apple will not and does not allow app developers to sign a universal security certificate. Apple controls that process in house via app submission to ensure nefarious apps do not make it to the user base. I hardly see the US government stepping in to deregulate the App Store and open up iOS.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My take is the EU is overbearing in its regulatory efforts across the board.

Prana Ferox

There are pluses and minuses to it. Theoretically the app stores have far better vetting for app security, but in reality both major phone app stores have let malware through, over and over. Logically you should have the right to install, say, the Amazon store app without dealing with walled garden BS. In reality once you let random clicks install an app, you're in the wild wild west pretty quickly, and you're talking about a device people have their IDs and wallets stored on. You can sideload apps on an Android phone and 90-something percent of the time 90-something percent of Android users should never do it. On the other hand the app stores have routinely deleted and blocked apps for partisan political squabbles or kowtowing to government censorship.

It reminds me of the nonsense with microSD cards for phones. It sounds reasonable to put in an SD card slot and let users expand their storage. In the real world people will buy a fancy new phone and throw some utter garbage card they bought at a gas station in there, it will suck and fail access and make the phone run bad / crash, people will badmouth the phone. It drives the support guys bonkers. So a lot of phonecos just got rid of them.

Disclaimer: highly highly biased techbro

DLS79

Forum Donor
Most people are stupid with technology!

As a software developer, I would say calling them stupid is being nice.

For example I've had to deal with people like the fictitious one in this tale from the 90's.

Top Bottom