• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Amp discussion

Cool Runnings

They are a solutions provider, but they seem to own and manage wiim.

I guess the point is: this is not the same kind of Chi-Fi company like we see with Topping, SMSL, Aiyama etc...they have a US support number and address. Probably the engineering could be and is likely offshore, who knows.
If you look at the investor list its pretty clear they're of China origin. Nothing wrong or right about that. Just that it'll be fair to say Wiim is part of the wave of Chinese companies planning on going global in a big way. But yes agree, not your typical China HiFi company set-up. Wiim/Linkplay seems to have much bigger ambitions and more complex corporate roadmap/gameplan.

Last edited:

Atlas B170

I hadn't paid much attention to new audio components and equipment since well before the pandemic right up until recently, and I've got to say I'm absolutely blown away with the likes of WiiM, Fosi, and Topping. In my eyes, those companies are at the front of the pack, globally, in developing affordable, high-quality home audio components.

Last edited:

bcfc

What do you mean?
That DAC performance measurements and their actual sound, well, not in fact the same topping sounds worse than an expensive device for 10 thousand dollars, which in the overall rating is even lower than topping.
Yes, the Chinese are installing state-of-the-art chips to get the customer to buy this device. But they save on other components in this device and the final sound will not be as cool as in expensive European or American brands.

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you look at the investor list its pretty clear they're of China origin. Nothing wrong or right about that. Just that it'll be fair to say Wiim is part of the wave of Chinese companies planning on going global in a big way. But yes agree, not your typical Chi-Fi set-up. Wiim/Linkplay seems to have much bigger ambitions and more complex corporate roadmap/gameplan.
Not really fair to say they're part of a wave of Chinese companies......when they're not a Chinese company.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That DAC performance measurements and their actual sound, well, not in fact the same topping sounds worse than an expensive device for 10 thousand dollars, which in the overall rating is even lower than topping.
Yes, the Chinese are installing state-of-the-art chips to get the customer to buy this device. But they save on other components in this device and the final sound will not be as cool as in expensive European or American brands.
I'm sure you have some evidence for this nonsensical statement, which doesn't involve "gurus" claiming "it sounds better"

Perhaps you can point to measurements carried out on this site that back it up?

Joffy1780

What defines the nationality of a company in your opinion?
I would say it was where they are headquartered/registered, but I'm by no means an expert.
What defines them as Chinese in your eyes?
I'm English, but if I emigrated to the USA, for example, and set up a company with a lot of UK investment, would that be a British or US company?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I'm English, but if I emigrated to the USA, for example, and set up a company with a lot of UK investment, would that be a British or US company?
Is ARM British (headquarters), Japanese (majority ownership) or American (stock exchange listing)?

Reactions: DRC

Joffy1780

Cool Runnings

I would say it was where they are headquartered/registered, but I'm by no means an expert.
What defines them as Chinese in your eyes?
This is an interesting debate. I try to keep it simple for my definition. I use ownership as the main determinant. If the majority owners are from/based in the US then it is an American company.

So for your example, if your company is owned majority by UK investors, then it is more of a British company even if it was located in the US.

I think location of HQ and nationalities of staffing in key business units like R&D could also be secondary factors if ownership is very diverse but the actual ownership is the most important and over riding criteria if there is a dominant nationality involved.

A counterpoint to my own argument and an even more interesting debate is TikTok US. Even if the shareholders are majority Americans or American companies, does that make TikTok US an American company IF the underlying key technologies are controlled by China. But I think such cases are not common.

pipomolo42

I think the major difference between Wiim and others like Fosi, SMSL or Arylic is software, and the effort put into continuous improvement and support.
I chose to put my money on Wiim because I felt I was buying more than just the cost of hardware components and assembly.

They also seems to provide regular software updates, which gets more and more important, unless you like having to replace obsolete devices each time a service changes its API (well, this last sentence is not completely fair, as the other brands I mention provide a lot less software-based features as well)

Atlas B170

I think the major difference between Wiim and others like Fosi, SMSL or Arylic is software, and the effort put into continuous improvement and support.
I chose to put my money on Wiim because I felt I was buying more than just the cost of hardware components and assembly.

They also seems to provide regular software updates, which gets more and more important, unless you like having to replace obsolete devices each time a service changes its API (well, this last sentence is not completely fair, as the other brands I mention provide a lot less software-based features as well)
Yeah, the fact that WiiM has only been around for a couple of years and they're now competing with Bluesound and being carried by retailers like Crutchfield is testament to how impressive the support behind their software is. I think I saw somewhere that an early room correction implementation is coming in an update later this month. At this rate, the WiiM app might be able to file my tax return by the time April comes around!

Joffy1780

This is an interesting debate. I try to keep it simple for my definition. I use ownership as the main determinant. If the majority owners are from/based in the US then it is an American company.

So for your example, if your company is owned majority by UK investors, then it is more of a British company even if it was located in the US.

I think location of HQ and nationalities of staffing in key business units like R&D could also be secondary factors if ownership is very diverse but the actual ownership is the most important and over riding criteria if there is a dominant nationality involved.

A counterpoint to my own argument and an even more interesting debate is TikTok US. Even if the shareholders are majority Americans or American companies, does that make TikTok US an American company IF the underlying key technologies are controlled by China. But I think such cases are not common.
You still have no idea what nationality the underlying or majority ownership of Wiim are, looking at a list of investors can't tell you that.

soulfresh

Can I just remind everyone of this polite request from Amir

about avoiding the monika "ChiFi"

No one worry about spying, privacy and national security that we're buying chinese made products? It's got voice control on the remote, and the CCP might be listening ... bla bla bla! hahaha!

Forgot that only Western mainstream media, governments and politicians love the the paranoia and Sinophobia!

bcfc

No one worry about spying, privacy and national security that we're buying chinese made products? It's got voice control on the remote, and the CCP might be listening ... bla bla bla! hahaha!

Forgot that only Western mainstream media, governments and politicians love the the paranoia and Sinophobia!
If there is a conform, remotely China will block your amplifier or your smartphone made in China. Do not be naive, the trap has long been open.

xSDMx

Woot, finally got the HDMI CEC update! Three days is a SLOW rollout.

Top Bottom