• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Moondrop Lab

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The included DSP profile to me reads like "yes, we tried our best in driver and acoustics but there is so much we could do, we had to rely on EQ to fix the remaining hot spots to perfection". Fair enough.

Don't know if you can get Moondrop Discdream CD Player easily from local distributor, I've heard some stories about difficulties in production and some orders have been delayed for months.
Just want to share that I can only make it 60% accuracy in ABX test between Discdream(playing CD) and Merging HAPI MKII DA8P (connect to my htpc with ravenna). :facepalm:
IMG_0540.JPG

MacClintock

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The included DSP profile to me reads like "yes, we tried our best in driver and acoustics but there is so much we could do, we had to rely on EQ to fix the remaining hot spots to perfection". Fair enough.
So what is the point of buying a supposedly $300 IEM that uses DSP to get to the desired tuning (and a cable with a, as I hear, wonky app) ? You could get any cheap IEM of your liking (fit, comfort, design) and EQ it yourself.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So what is the point of buying a supposedly $300 IEM that uses DSP to get to the desired tuning (and a cable with a, as I hear, wonky app) ? You could get any cheap IEM of your liking (fit, comfort, design) and EQ it yourself.
That is the age old question.

markanini

Major Contributor
Price differences is the less important part. I tried EQ matching function using different cheap sets and Oratory1990 EQs presets. The results don't sound equal, not even in the same ballpark.

Maybe you should repeat my experiment before generally recommending EQ matching functions as a viable option.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
May checks several boxes right: looks good, USB-C with good performance, inline mic, independent volume, and most importantly, tuning seems great with adjustable bass preference with DSP. All that for 65 usd. What is not to like? Should get great reviews everywhere.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Another one, with DSP it seems and 120dB dynamic range (seems they just include the free DSP as stock cable)
View attachment 332492

Does indeed look like the Free DSP cable - would be interesting to see what DSP settings it ships with attached to these IEMs though. If its a heavy eq it doesnt bode too well for the IEM themselves. Shame they dont sell an analog set for $20 less as I already have the Free DSP.

unpluggged

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The app, I guess?
The app is truly woeful.

Just ordered a pair- fully intend to clear the EQ down on the app and use UAPP on my phone to apply the same DSP (or my own modified version) .

Look too pretty and the treble response potentially too good not to try

otseiTiesto

By the graph it looks like Moondrop did a great job at combing the two driver types. I would not be surprised if it gives a super immersive listening impression.

View attachment 332588
Its THD is also outstanding:
ZeroRed_vs_May THD.png

- Green trace: Moondrop May (at 94dB SPL, I guess).
- Blue Line: Truthear Zero Red (from Amirm's measurements @ 94dB SPL).

mc.god

May checks several boxes right: looks good
Really? For me they have the most laughable faceplate I've ever seen :facepalm:
But ok, since I don't care at all about aesthetics, the rest is surely interesting, price very appealing for what they offer in both technical and packaging sides.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Really? For me they have the most laughable faceplate I've ever seen :facepalm:
But ok, since I don't care at all about aesthetics, the rest is surely interesting, price very appealing for what they offer in both technical and packaging sides.
Well, at least it's not gaudy as the Dioko for example, these are unbuyable to me no matter how good they could sound. :)

S40b0e0fe892c4980bbbac50665383d25x.jpg_640x640Q90.jpg_~2.jpg

mc.god

Well, at least it's not gaudy as the Dioko for example, these are unbuyable to me no matter how good they could sound. :)

View attachment 332893

Well, aesthetics is totally subjective, I consider Dioko fine, but can relaunch with this abomination:

kinera-celest-pandamon-10mm-square-planar-driver-in-ear-earphone-earphone-hifigo-pandamon-191499_670x670.jpg

[EDIT]
at least they sell it even in no-logo version.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The app is truly woeful.

I have found a difference in usability when the app is used on different phones. The app would not recognize my FreeDSP automatically when plugged into my Poco F3, but it does when plugged into my new Nothing Phone (2). I put this down the much cleaner implementation of Android on the Nothing Phone, but the app also seems to work better on the Nothing Phone. Obviously things like the number of PEQ channels are still limited by the FreeDSP hardware, but overall the app just seems a bit better on my new phone (this could well be confirmation bias for my new phone purchase :) )

otseiTiesto

Courtesy of "Moondrop" (website), unfortunately without phase info (to play on REW).

Attachments

• MAY Default L.txt
    2.9 KB · Views: 36
  • MAY Reference L.txt
    2.9 KB · Views: 34
OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Super* already has the May measured in analog, USB-C and USB-C+VSDF EQ. The last looks closer to a Blessing 3 than Aria 2/Kato.

graph.png

markanini

Major Contributor
Super* already has the May measured in analog, USB-C and USB-C+VSDF EQ. The last looks closer to a Blessing 3 than Aria 2/Kato.

View attachment 333695
Keep in mind the main DSP preset will be something like +3dB below 110Hz vs the VDSF preset measured there.

mc.god

I was curious about FR without EQ in analog, and came out natural this

graph (1).png

in this condition I think I would prefer the Hola :cool:

Top Bottom