• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How loud do you like your music?

How loud do you like your music?

• Under 70dB

Votes: 65 20.5%
  • Around 75dB

Votes: 111 35.0%
  • Around 80dB

Votes: 78 24.6%
  • Around 85dB

Votes: 39 12.3%
  • Around 90dB

Votes: 15 4.7%
  • It has to be over 90dB to enjoy

Votes: 9 2.8%

• Total voters

gnarly

Major Contributor
It's a shame a standard wasn't set for the poll, and also for all comments to be referenced to....
Without both a reference weighting, and time integration period.....comparisons are pretty meaningless...
I imagine this point has been made several mtime in the thread...sorry to not have read it through...

May I suggest Z-weighting, and LEQ averaging of 1 minute or more.....

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm old. 80dB average, 85dB peak. Doesn't mean I don't crank it to 90dB peak now and then.

OP
killdozzer

killdozzer

Major Contributor
I imagine this point has been made several mtime in the thread...sorry to not have read it through...
Oh, don't worry, yours will be treated just like the rest of them. ;) A meaningless nagging. And you didn't even have to read it through. It's literally in the first post. In agreement with one of the members, it was set on A weight, slow, duration of the song (more than a minute).

But you gave me an idea for a new thread/poll/discussion - how come it's easier to write a complaining comment than it is to read (at least) the first post before answering. And a follow up question, to what exactly were you even answering?

OP
killdozzer

killdozzer

Major Contributor
90dB peak is in my opinion and experience pretty loud. And 90dB average is really loud - far too loud for my tolerance (not to mention liable to cause hearing damage).
I agree, but I see it mentioned every now and then. I have to see what it is. Even if it's for a second.

OP
killdozzer

killdozzer

Major Contributor
I'm old. 80dB average, 85dB peak. Doesn't mean I don't crank it to 90dB peak now and then.
Do you think it was louder when you were young? I remember the noise, but I always feel it's very subjectively louder just because it was ear piercing.

gnarly

Major Contributor
Oh, don't worry, yours will be treated just like the rest of them. ;) A meaningless nagging. And you didn't even have to read it through. It's literally in the first post. In agreement with one of the members, it was set on A weight, slow, duration of the song (more than a minute).

But you gave me an idea for a new thread/poll/discussion - how come it's easier to write a complaining comment than it is to read (at least) the first post before answering. And a follow up question, to what exactly were you even answering?
I apologize. Actually did go to first post to see if there was a reference suggested, and simply missed the opening line of prose.

I think the back of my mind was focussed on how I think A weighting is inappropriate for comparisons, given the vast differences in home audio bass output.
And some thread skimming showed folks using that (now I see why)
Again, my bad...sorry.

thegeton

Forum Donor
Do you think it was louder when you were young? I remember the noise, but I always feel it's very subjectively louder just because it was ear piercing.
I feel like I listened to music much louder in my youth. Concerts, clubs, my car, pretty much everywhere I could. Never measured it then, but it seems like I've turned it down a bit over the years.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've always hated loud music. I guess I was an old man even in high school.

OP
killdozzer

killdozzer

Major Contributor
I feel like I listened to music much louder in my youth. Concerts, clubs, my car, pretty much everywhere I could. Never measured it then, but it seems like I've turned it down a bit over the years.
That's a nice avatar.

thegeton

Forum Donor

Neric

I seem to listen to pop music that tops out at 70db. I find it interesting how that's the bottom of the graph.

Symphonic music might top that for short bits of time, but that's interesting that I'm on the low end of this graph.

I have musicains earplugs for concerts - they don't change the pitch but drop the levels by a lot.

OP
killdozzer

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Thank you. Mine are actually black because I couldn't wait for the blue to be released. No regrets.
I wanted blue, but that was the first time in my life I stumbled upon the WAF. (I know, I should consider myself lucky) But I thought she'd be FOR the blue as they are more of "shelf-piece" styling. Nope. I was wrong. She said all is fine, just get the black ones. (I don't really care.)

OP
killdozzer

killdozzer

Major Contributor
I seem to listen to pop music that tops out at 70db. I find it interesting how that's the bottom of the graph.

Symphonic music might top that for short bits of time, but that's interesting that I'm on the low end of this graph.

I have musicians earplugs for concerts - they don't change the pitch but drop the levels by a lot.
It makes sense. You obviously like it a bit quieter, and yes, there's usually a lot more dynamics in Symphonic than there is in POP (sometimes it's; if any), so again, makes sense those short bursts.

Similarly to your ear plugs, I never attend the Extreme Cinema venues. Way too loud. (And I bi*tch about fire-crackers, but that's just being old :) )

MoreWatts

Forum Donor
I'm one of those that cranks it too loud and sits too close. Probably because most of my concert attendance has been at small night clubs for loud, electrified music. I've always had sound systems that can do a decent mimic of night club LOUD! :eek:

partiallydeaf.jpeg

dweeeeb2

I’ve found this is room dependent, the larger the room the louder I can go. Its also very dependent on mood and song choice.

D

Deleted member 48726

I'm the same. It's a "quality over quantity" type of thing as I get older.
For me it's also becoming obvious that the body can't withstand everything you throw at it forever so better take care of it and moderate the strain. Knees, elbows, ears, back.

1701667492375.png

OP
killdozzer

killdozzer

Major Contributor
I’ve found this is room dependent, the larger the room the louder I can go. Its also very dependent on mood and song choice.
It's not dependent. It's YOUR listening room. I hope your walls don't move on their own making your room sometimes smaller and sometimes bigger.

So, your system, your room at your listening position, what would you enjoy at least for half an hour, music program without bloated bass, well mastered so you're not attenuating because of harsh treble, your free choice of SPL no nagging neighbors, using one of the SPL gadgets we recommended and same conditions of measuring to exclude needless variables.

What's the SPL?

Top Bottom