• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wharfedale Denton 85 review ?

FlowFlow

Hello everyone,

(Sorry for my bad English)
Erin tested the Wharfedale Linton 85th and seemed very pleased. I have a low WAF (wife acceptance factor) and i don't think i could put thoose big beauties (Linton) in my room unfortunalty... I was wondering how the little sisters "Denton 85" sound, and if there was any measurments of these speakers ?
Thank you a lot.
Best regards,
Florian.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Hello everyone,

(Sorry for my bad English)
Erin tested the Wharfedale Linton 85th and seemed very pleased. I have a low WAF (wife acceptance factor) and i don't think i could put thoose big beauties (Linton) in my room unfortunalty... I was wondering how the little sisters "Denton 85" sound, and if there was any measurments of these speakers ?
Thank you a lot.
Best regards,
Florian.

Just buy a pair and revel (pun intended) in their retro, anti-establishment, throwback style!

OP
F

FlowFlow

Thank you guys. I called my local dealer in my little city (Paris) and i might have the chance to listen to both of theses speakers tomorrow ! It will be far from any real measurments but i can write my feelings after that. They will replace my Auricle that i built and were designed by jeff Bagby.
Best regards.

regan

Thank you guys. I called my local dealer in my little city (Paris) and i might have the chance to listen to both of theses speakers tomorrow ! It will be far from any real measurments but i can write my feelings after that. They will replace my Auricle that i built and were designed by jeff Bagby.
Best regards.
Did you get to listen to the speakers? What are your feelings about them?

192kbps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In China, it only costs $599 a pair. But not many people seem to buy, and people seem to have stereotypes about the brand.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I got a pair coming in for 370€. I'll let them fight the Linton 85 and maybe i'll post a measurement.

DMill

Forum Donor
The Dentons were on my short list a year ago but I purchased Elac Carinas instead. I’d be very interested to hear impressions and see measurements. Please tell me they measure poorly so I don’t have upgraditis. :)

tw 2022

The Dentons were on my short list a year ago but I purchased Elac Carinas instead. I’d be very interested to hear impressions and see measurements. Please tell me they measure poorly so I don’t have upgraditis. :)
The denton's aren't going to be an upgrade from carina's...it's going to be a preference thing....

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I will be able to listen to them against the Linton 85, Kef Q350 and Focal Aria 906, never knew the Elac Carinas where a thing. They look good.

DMill

Forum Donor
I will be able to listen to them against the Linton 85, Kef Q350 and Focal Aria 906, never knew the Elac Carinas where a thing. They look good.
Amir reviewed them here and liked them. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...arina-bs243-4-review-bookshelf-speaker.34398/. It gave me confidence to purchase them without hearing them first (though I could’ve still returned them through Crutchfield). But I have to admit to loving the retro style the Dentons have. I heard the Lintons but unfortunately they were much too big for my room on their nicely appointed stands. The Lintons sounded great to my ears and it has been backed up with recent tested results. Honestly the only reason I chose the Elac over the Denton was they were offered with free stands that normally retail for $450. As it turns out, the speakers sound great, but the stands are ridiculously overpriced. I really wish manufacturers would stop bleeding money out of people who purchase their product. They all seem to do it. $500 for a normal speaker stands is ridiculous. But I’m on a rant…

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Miniyouuuu

I initially got the Dentons. After 6 months I moved to the Lintons.
They seem to be similar on treble and highs, but Linton bass plays on another league. Lintons are more linear from bass to highs where Dentons are more treble focused.

Last edited:

regan

They seem to be similar on treble and highs, but Linton bass plays on another league. Lintons are more linear from bass to highs where Dentons are more treble focused.
So Linton = Dentons with a sub?

192kbps

How about BRONZEⅢ?
Screenshot_20231204-155122.png

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a bunch of subwoofers, so i bet i can get some similar bass response with the Dentons, in sum. I hope, as they are made by the same team, that they also paint the same stereo-illusion into my particular room, as the Lintons do. That is why i kept them over the ATC SCM19v2 and KEF R3.

So Linton = Dentons with a sub?
I hope so. I'm really not a friend of the Lintons brutalist appearance ;-)

DSJR

Major Contributor
I have a pair of great condition pre-Rank? Denton W20's from the late 60's which 'sound' surprisingly good, if a little 'foggy' by modern standards. The first proper 'HiFi'
speakers I ever heard and the first ever proper hearing in stereo of 'Whole Lotta Love' (can't ever forget it :D). I do hope the current stylee version is a really good speaker under the retro visuals. Knowing Peter Comeau as I once did, I have no doubts of that at all ;)

For modern use, there are 4mm post terminals with suitable threads which screw into the existing terminals, thereby avoiding butchery and stray strands causing shorts (I loathe spades with a passion as they work loose and can short out).

DSCF2059.JPG

DSCF2061.JPG
Denton.JPG

Last edited:

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom