• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Integra DRX-8.4

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have been hearing things like badly mastered ATMOS movie tracks tend to sound decent on Auro, is that true? Especially with height channels. Good ATMOS mastering is played back best on ATMOS configuration of speakers.
Maybe, but I don't have any experience running Atmos sources through Auro. I'd be suspicious that doing so will strip out any objects from the mix as Auro would probably only operate on the 7.1 bed layer.

pollock0424

Maybe, but I don't have any experience running Atmos sources through Auro. I'd be suspicious that doing so will strip out any objects from the mix as Auro would probably only operate on the 7.1 bed layer.
Here's an interesting take on Auro 3D

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
I thought Auro was about 3D and 5.1 is a 2D?
It is. I am also not sure how the member has Atmos without the height channels. Or Auro 3D or DTS Neural X. It must've been a comparison on a different setup.
I had Denon 4500 with 7.2.4 speaker setup and for my liking Dolby Surround (Atmos upmixer) was the best and Auro 3D the worst. I was mostly comaring upmixing regular 5.1 sources, but stereo also.
I liked Dolby because it seemed to preserve the original 5.1, extract some elements and raise it to height channels and made the whole sound more spacious.

BKTM

I have a new Integra DRX8.4 and I am facing the following problems.
The fan over HDMI board is not at all spinning, Integra says it is normal.
Need to raise the volume level upto 50% minimum to get something audiable.
To get the THX level volume, need to bring the volume around 80.
HDMI eARC is a big nuisance since there is always delay in sound output even you pause the content and resume the play.
Still couldn't connect my laptop to Integra DRX8.4 to do a proper Dirac Calibration.
5G Wi-Fi is not detecting by the receiver.
Please comment....

pollock0424

It is. I am also not sure how the member has Atmos without the height channels. Or Auro 3D or DTS Neural X. It must've been a comparison on a different setup.
I had Denon 4500 with 7.2.4 speaker setup and for my liking Dolby Surround (Atmos upmixer) was the best and Auro 3D the worst. I was mostly comaring upmixing regular 5.1 sources, but stereo also.
I liked Dolby because it seemed to preserve the original 5.1, extract some elements and raise it to height channels and made the whole sound more spacious.
What is your speaker layout?

ban25

I have a new Integra DRX8.4 and I am facing the following problems.
The fan over HDMI board is not at all spinning, Integra says it is normal.
Need to raise the volume level upto 50% minimum to get something audiable.
To get the THX level volume, need to bring the volume around 80.
HDMI eARC is a big nuisance since there is always delay in sound output even you pause the content and resume the play.
Still couldn't connect my laptop to Integra DRX8.4 to do a proper Dirac Calibration.
5G Wi-Fi is not detecting by the receiver.
Please comment....
Sure.

1) There are two fans on the HDMI board. Normally one of them will spin at low RPM (sub 1000) and the other one will be off. You can check the fan speed in the web interface.
2) That's a function of your speaker setup, once you run Dirac calibration, reference level should be 85 dB.
3) I recommend changing the volume scale from absolute to relative. That will help you better understand what SPL you are actually listening to since -0 dB will be 85 dB post-calibration
4) HDMI eARC routes audio through the TV, so it's not surprising that there is some processing delay. To correct this, open the ciuser web UI and go to Audio -> A/V Sync. There you can adjust audio sync from a range of -100ms to +500ms per input. You just need to move the slider for the eARC input until you are properly synced. You can do this from a laptop while content is playing.
5) This is related to your WiFi. The manual specifies support for both 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz bands. I recommend hard-wiring ethernet, as that will get you better performance anyway. Regardless, if the AVR is not on your network, Dirac will not be able to find it.

pollock0424

Sure.

1) There are two fans on the HDMI board. Normally one of them will spin at low RPM (sub 1000) and the other one will be off. You can check the fan speed in the web interface.
2) That's a function of your speaker setup, once you run Dirac calibration, reference level should be 85 dB.
3) I recommend changing the volume scale from absolute to relative. That will help you better understand what SPL you are actually listening to since -0 dB will be 85 dB post-calibration
4) HDMI eARC routes audio through the TV, so it's not surprising that there is some processing delay. To correct this, open the ciuser web UI and go to Audio -> A/V Sync. There you can adjust audio sync from a range of -100ms to +500ms per input. You just need to move the slider for the eARC input until you are properly synced. You can do this from a laptop while content is playing.
5) This is related to your WiFi. The manual specifies support for both 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz bands. I recommend hard-wiring ethernet, as that will get you better performance anyway. Regardless, if the AVR is not on your network, Dirac will not be able to find it.
Regarding Dirac,
I already have an installation of Dirac for my miniDSP SHD on my laptop. I wonder how the new one will co-exist. Do they give us a download link and coupon?

ban25

Regarding Dirac,
I already have an installation of Dirac for my miniDSP SHD on my laptop. I wonder how the new one will co-exist. Do they give us a download link and coupon?
Dirac Live full bandwidth is already included with the DRX-8.4, you just login with your Dirac account and activate the license for the AVR. When you launch Dirac on your laptop, you should see both the DRX-8.4 and the miniDSP, so you just need to select the Integra to proceed to calibration. For DLBC, you'll need to purchase a license separately from the Dirac website.

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
What is your speaker layout?
7 bed channels - fronts, surrounds and surround backs
4 inceiling speakers where the front heights are roughly above the fronts and the rear heights roughly above the surrounds
2 subs - one near the fornt right and one near the right surround.

Theetjuh

Lol I just ordered it for my RZ70 and while getting the code from the mail, got the mail about your post :D

pollock0424

20231121_191517.jpg

20231121_191652.jpg

Big Dawg in the house! Look at that thing, Yamaha M80 for comparison (3rd M80 is on the bench currently).

dlaloum

Major Contributor
View attachment 328381
View attachment 328382

Big Dawg in the house! Look at that thing, Yamaha M80 for comparison (3rd M80 is on the bench currently).
I have owned two previous generations of the Integra/Onkyo family in this category... and yes they are BEASTS - in size, weight, and in their ability to handle difficult speakers - the additional weight and size is mostly in the power amps and specifically in the power supply... and with tricky speakers it shows! (well it did with my SR876 and DTR70.4)

Can cause difficulty with normal size AV furniture - it is so long that it just doesn't fit !!! - Ultimately forced me to replace my main equipment rack....

pollock0424

Just turned it on and set up the 7.0.4 speaker layout and internet. Had some issues with connecting to Wi-Fi, my office has a router (Netgear Nighthawk RAX4, repeater) that is controlled by the modem in the home. So I tried turning on the DHCP and the wired connection first, Integra got an IP assigned by the router and then I tried the Wi-Fi and boom, it worked!

Will do dirac calibration tomorrow. Bought Dirac Multi Sub license and don't have a sub yet! :/

I was able to stream music from Qobuz through Chromecast and it sounded very good!

Here's my setup:

4 x Bose 161 for heights

2 x Thiel CS1.5 for surrounds

2 x JBL L20T for Rear surrounds

2 x Thiel CS3.6 for mains

1 x Thiel SCS for Center.

Mains are driven by 2 x Purifi 1ET7040SA Buckeye Amps.

Left and Right base line speakers(rear and surrounds) are driven by 2 x Yamaha M80s

Heights and center are driven by the AVR.

I bought the DRX-8.4 mainly to be my base station for music/movies and possibly games. XLR, Chromecast, Dirac FR, and DLBC were a must for me.

Wiring and setup took about 16 hours, had to redo the whole setup because I have a massive self raising CLR screen for my 4k UST projector. I verified all the speakers doing an impedance sweep(100hz to 10khz) on all of them. Notice how the Thiel speakers look more like a resistive load and not like a complex load.
20231123_205618.jpg

Last edited:

ban25

Just turned it on and set up the 7.0.4 speaker layout and internet. Had some issues with connecting to Wi-Fi, my office has a router (Netgear Nighthawk RAX4, repeater) that is controlled by the modem in the home. So I tried turning on the DHCP and the wired connection first, Integra got an IP assigned by the router and then I tried the Wi-Fi and boom, it worked!

Will do dirac calibration tomorrow. Bought Dirac Multi Sub license and don't have a sub yet! :/

I was able to stream music from Qobuz through Chromecast and it sounded very good!

Here's my setup:

4 x Bose 161 for heights

2 x Thiel CS1.5 for surrounds

2 x JBL L20T for Rear surrounds

2 x Thiel CS3.6 for mains

1 x Thiel SCS for Center.

Mains are driven by 2 x Purifi 1ET7040SA Buckeye Amps.

Left and Right base line speakers(rear and surrounds) are driven by 2 x Yamaha M80s

Heights and center are driven by the AVR.

I bought the DRX-8.4 mainly to be my base station for music/movies and possibly games. XLR, Chromecast, Dirac FR, and DLBC were a must for me.

Wiring and setup took about 16 hours, had to redo the whole setup because I have a massive self raising CLR screen for my 4k UST projector. I verified all the speakers doing an impedance sweep(100hz to 10khz) on all of them. Notice how the Thiel speakers look more like a resistive load and not like a complex load.
Nice! You should be able to stream 24b/96k from Qobuz over Chromecast. Once Roon support is patched in, you should be able to go up to 24b/192k at least.

pollock0424

Here's something that I noticed. Currently, it is 7.0.4, Dirac set the mains to full band, surrounds to 60hz, rears to 70h, and heights to 120hz.

When playing all channel stereo, I get good amount of bass even with Dirac (which I intentionally set to flat).

When switching to 2 channel stereo then the flat profile kicks in, I went ahead and changed the curve to harman curve(curtains start at 30hz, as I don't like to force the speaker to do something that it can't)to sound more natural and it sounds good. My mains are rated at 24hz@-3db anechoic.

What's going on in all channel stereo ?
Here's a full frontal...
20231124_195307.jpg

ADE91790

Hello everyone ! Does anyone have a detailed guide to Web setup?
Because certain parameters without a minimum of explanation are difficult to understand

Theetjuh

Nice! You should be able to stream 24b/96k from Qobuz over Chromecast. Once Roon support is patched in, you should be able to go up to 24b/192k at least.
Someone on AVS posted about that it is now displayed on the Roon website: Onkyo, Integra and Pioneer

Last edited:
Top Bottom