• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha R-N2000A network receiver

OP
O

Overseas

Major Contributor
So you mean after the automatic calibration measurement you get this error on the display? And this is the 3rd unit with the same error?

Pchops

Wont even get through a proper mesurement.
1st amp was a power failure, 2nd amp the left vu meter was faulty, 3rd version wont run ypao so i cant use sub etc..

Pchops

Last 2 versions didnt have this issue but very odd / disappointing ive had 3 of these now with different faults. I have plenty of other equipment in this spot with no issues, quality cables and power filtration so im really stumped

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Are you by any chance using some strange unnecessary equipment like Powerfilters, Ethernet filters.. noises isolators etc?

Because I had Yamaha gear over the last 19 years (stereo amp, receiver with ypao, streamer) and None had issues at all even the lowest budget gear performed without issues.

Pchops

Nope, tried multiple power cables, different circuits of the house even. Have 2 other yamaha recivers in the house and they run without a hitch

Pchops

E-21:Control KnobMake sure the controls on the front panel, BASS, TREBLE, BALANCE and LOUDNESS, are in the center or FLATpositions, and then measure again

Pchops

Everything is on 0

Attachments

• IMG_2633.jpeg
    IMG_2633.jpeg
    255.2 KB · Views: 139

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe a reset helps, you need to look into the service manual for that, which you likely don't have.

This is how to reset a A-S1000, maybe worth a try:
  1. Turn balance button full clockwise
  2. Press mute button and while pressing this...
  3. Turn the power on!

OP
O

Overseas

Major Contributor
When you turn each knob from a non-center position to center detent; do you then hear a relay click?
Yeah, maybe it is a misalignment somewhere behind the knob.

D

Deleted member 48726

Yeah, maybe it is a misalignment somewhere behind the knob.
Don't think so because if you hear the relays click (from both balance, bass, treble, loudness) the controller knows they are centered and cut out the circuits for each. You may want to confirm each one responds with a relay click. At least to rule it out..

Pchops

Don't think so because if you hear the relays click (from both balance, bass, treble, loudness) the controller knows they are centered and cut out the circuits for each. You may want to confirm each one responds with a relay click. At least to rule it out..
Yep they all click into place - loudness doesn’t have that functionality as it only turns one way

BluesFox

Yep they all click into place - loudness doesn’t have that functionality as it only turns one way
I experienced nearly the same issue with my RN-2000A unit. The YPAO calibration would seemingly have random exit points during The cal process and yield the E21 error. I tried the knobs in slightly repositioned places, and the only item that might have helped was placing some pressure to “close” the loudness knob to its full extent. Eventually the YPAO passed, but don’t know for sure what the variation of position and holding pressure on loudness had on Finally reaching success.
ive been looking for a firmware update to no avail. Hoping someone at Yamaha solves this, especially if it has to due with knob tolerance. Just run the calibration even if the knobs are not within the 0.000007 inch spec already and keep it simple.

Pchops

Yep sounds like what i had! 3 replaced units within 4 weeks, with different issues. 4th one seems to work ok but yeah not too impressed with QC at yamaha of late

OP
O

Overseas

Major Contributor
Does it have Arc Hdmi with CEC? I mean, can you control volume by TV remote?

BluesFox

Does it have Arc Hdmi with CEC? I mean, can you control volume by TV remote?
Yes, I use the Apple TV to an LG C2, and the Yamaha is connected via the HDMI ARC port n the C2. The Apple Remote seemed to work either with HDMI volume, or manually programming it. It was also set for power where the Apple TV button press would turn both the TV On or Off, and the Yamaha would also turn on our off simultaneously. The Yamaha went automatically to the TV input (hdmi) as well.
Note that there is no output display for the Yamaha to the hdmi, not even a screen displaying the input/time/etc, just a blank screen.

OP
O

Overseas

Major Contributor
Just inquiring if Rn2000 works with CEC, meaning volume control by TV remote. I understand it works.

faiser

Forum Donor
Hi! I'm using a Teac UD503 dac/preamp in an old Rotel power amp. Thinking about replacing the power amp with an AS2200 (using xlr) or the new R-N2000. With the latter, I could even retire the Teac as well. Been reading on both Yamahas, some Q's that perhaps someone can shed light on
  • When in pure direct mode, is the onboard dac truly bypassed, ie. analog stays analog right? Or would the receiver digitize everything, like eg. the Technics SU-R1000... ? Even with DSD listening, I wouldn't like the idea that any dsd stream is downconverted to pcm
  • In case I go the 2200 route and keep the exising dac/preamp. As AS2200's main in is rca, would I lose sound quality using xlr and just putting the 2200 at high volume level? Or better to use rca in main in input, bypassing the preamp alltogether? Because if XLR wouldn't be beneficial for connecting an external preamp, I might as well save some cash and go for AS1200.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

exai

Hi guys,

Noob question. I got a new turntable (Pro-Ject Debut Carbon EVO) and new speakers (Focal Aria 906) and I need an amp. I can have the Yamaha R-N600A or the A-S701 for the same price. What are the differences between them? Thanks!

Edit: OK, I think I understand better now. I should go with the A-S series. But which one exactly? Wouldn't the 701 be a bit overkill for my use? I can have it for about 600 euros. 501 would cost me about 450 euros. 301 about 325 euros. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Top Bottom