• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi Audio V3 Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 2.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 39 8.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 221 49.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 178 39.6%

• Total voters

-Jim-

I agree, not the right place for this at all.

I see the mono output is the normal +/- for the right speaker, not a L+/R+ connection like many. I do not know if that is more or less dangerous.

Perhaps they can make changes before release.

- Mono/Stereo should be moved to bottom or back to avoid unwanted volume changes or electrical failures.
- The Mono Balanced/Unbalanced input on the back should be labeled.
- The Power switch should be moved from the volume knob to where the Mono/Stereo switch is now. This is no big deal on the V3, but on dual mono amps keeping the volume precisely the same, and controlling things through a pre-amp is important. With the power on the volume you have to re-adjust each time.

Here is the Fosi ZA3 thread.
The Mono/Stereo could be a small slider just above the Subwoofer out RCA on the rear panel.

As long as the load dependency issue, and the Sub Out is tied to the variable output (as they told me it would on their YouTube Video) along with these changes this should be a winner.

marX

So, I got this from Prime Day say in the UK for £49 with a 32V power supply. I wonder if it would be a decent option with the Revel M16 speakers I got.
But, sub integration would be a pita, isn't it?

BTW, which pre-amp/streamer you guys are using with it?
I would like to know if there is any cheap but good streamer with a sub-out and volume control to use alongside the Fosi V3 (if indeed the amp is good enough for the speakers).

marX

Also, if I put the volume knob on the amp to the max and try to control the volume with the pre-amp, would there by an audible 'pop' when turning on and off?

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would like to know if there is any cheap but good streamer with a sub-out and volume control to use alongside the Fosi V3 (if indeed the amp is good enough for the speakers).
I'm pretty sure the Wiim Mini/Pro/Pro+ is by far the most popular streamer with the V3. No separate sub out, but active subs have volume and you could use the V3 Line Out or a splitter on the Wiim if you are using it for volume. The Wiim's built in graphic & parametric EQs can be especially useful when using a sub.

There is no pop on the V3 when turning it on or off. If your preamp pops that could be an issue. Most don't, the Wiim does not.

Last edited:

Loathecliff

So, I got this from Prime Day say in the UK for £49 with a 32V power supply. I wonder if it would be a decent option with the Revel M16 speakers I got.

£49?!! - I'm being offered it at £79 as a Prime member.
What am I doing wrong?

burkm

The mute function of the V3 will only be used, if the amp is been switched off regularily, else the preamp in use must do this.

After having a detailed look at the innerts I probably would use the Nobsound HiFi 2 channel / BRZhifi L1 preamp (there a more copies floating around under different names, thus the supplier must be deleivering ORE products / PCB carries imprinted "BRZHIFI_F1), which is rather small and "cheap". It looked well made and rather simplistic to me. I changed the installed standard Dual OP amps 5532 for Ti OPA1612 incl. adapter. The standard export price should be (normally) around 100 USD...
Note: Only the life expectany of the volume control seems to be suspect, but I will see... :)

PS.: Some users state, that they had pop or thumb problems with V3 amps, others don't. The circumstance, where this might happen, are unknown to me...
For some destination countries there seem to be extra low prices from some sellers, but the seller does usually not deliver to Northern US and Europe...
But you stated the your "low price" was from Deal Days (Prime) at Amazon UK. Hard to believe, but I couldn't find any deals of the same or even close to that price.
Amazon is most of the time for electronics a rather "average" sales platform due to high costs dore the seller, thus I can't believe this low price. Might be an error or something similar...

Last edited:

burkm

The problem seems to be, that most look to their local Amazon. The German Amazon did not provide any coupons for that item.

marX

The problem seems to be, that most look to their local Amazon. The German Amazon did not provide any coupons for that item.
Amazon UK still has valid coupons for some products BTW.

burkm

I just forgot: There is another cheap (new) preamp from Arylic (Honkong): the BP50. It has many common connections + a HDMI input (TV ?) and contains a DAC too. Two Bluetooth headphones are supported + WLAN, if I am correct (memory!). There doesn't seem to be a review yet on ASR and none yet (?) from others. The specs are pretty good, but unverified... Price is around 100 USD also.
The packaging looks pretty good, but I haven't tried one yet. Thus no comments about the sound and the specs from my side.

Link: https://www.arylic.com/

Specification​

Bluetooth Standard 5.2, 15m
Bluetooth Transmit 2x Bluetooth TX, able to connect up to 2 Bluetoothspeaker or earbuds.
Bluetooth Receiver 2x Bluetooth RX, able to connect up to 2 Bluetoothtransmitter device
Bluetooth Codec TX: aptX HD, aptX, aptX AD, aptX LL, AAC, SBC
RX: aptX HD, aptX, aptX AD, AAC, SBC
Newest Firmware Version 0051-ba37596b
Frequency Response 20Hz to 20Khz
THD + N/SNR 0.05%/>95db
Line in Analog RCA, Max 2V RMS input
Phono in Analog RCA, support MM/MC
Optical in Up to 192kHz/24bit PCM only
HDMI ARC PCM only, CEC function supported
USB Host USB disk drive playback, support resume playback
Storage format: Fat16, Fat32, exFAT, up to 128GB
Support codec: mp3, mp4, wma, mov, m4a, aac, flac(96kHz/24bit), ape
USB Type-C USB DAC for PC connection, sample rate: 48kHz
Subwoofer out Max 3V RMS output, Cutting frequency: 250Hz
Line Out Max 2Vrms output
Optical out 48kHz/16bit output
Coaxial out 48kHz/16bit output
Power Input 12V/1A
Size 185 x 155 x 50mm
Weight 750g

Looks like there is currently a 20% coupon available. Don't know, how long this will last...

Last edited:

Loathecliff

So, you didn't find the 30% coupon?

Edit:
Lots of items have 30%, 15% off coupons. Wiim still have the 15% off coupons for example.
Missed by a country mile.
"Expect the unexpected", a wise entity once said.

burkm

I forgot another preamp from Fosi Audio: the new SK01.
Unusual format, but loudness and tone controls + gain settings.
Price below 100,00 $.

bng123

Is this significantly better than the a07? The fosi v3 is almost 2x the price of the a07 locally. Looking to power a Polk ES15

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Is this significantly better than the a07? The fosi v3 is almost 2x the price of the a07 locally. Looking to power a Polk ES15
The A07 is still a good amp for the money, but if buying today, I would either get a Fosi V3 or the new Aiyima A07 MAX.

The Fosi V3 has good components, better heat dissipation, and the taper A volume pot, and can use a larger power supply.

burkm

I doubt, that the Aiyima A07 Max fullfills the critical expectations of a serious user. It seems to be crafted in a hurry with some major restrictions for a well informed user (low max voltages of the capacitors and low voltage power supply brick etc.).

Last edited:

GoaBhau

If I connect 3.5 mm male to male aux cabel to pre out and max out the volume on amp I get distortion or noise in speaker without any music...80% volume , no noise...

My setup is fosi audio p1 as pre amp, fosi Audio v3 as power amp, mb 42x speakers and I connect preamp to smartphone using rca to 3.5mm jack.

If I connect preout cabel to subwoofer amp still distortion exists. If I don't connect pre out to sub woofer amp distortion exists. If I remove preout cabel from fosi audio v3 distortion goes away. I changed few cables... Used LF 3.5mm aux cable still distortion is there...

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If I connect 3.5 mm male to male aux cabel to pre out and max out the volume on amp I get distortion or noise in speaker without any music...80% volume , no noise...

My setup is fosi audio p1 as pre amp, fosi Audio v3 as power amp, mb 42x speakers and I connect preamp to smartphone using rca to 3.5mm jack.

If I connect preout cabel to subwoofer amp still distortion exists. If I don't connect pre out to sub woofer amp distortion exists. If I remove preout cabel from fosi audio v3 distortion goes away. I changed few cables... Used LF 3.5mm aux cable still distortion is there...
That doesn't sound right. If I remember I'll check with mine tomorrow.

But I'd suggest contacting Fosi support and asking about it.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I doubt, that the Aiyima A07 Max fullfills the critical expectations of a serious user. It seems to be crafted in a hurry with some major restrictions for a well informed user (low max voltages of the capacitors and low voltage power supply brick etc.).
They're sending me one to test, but I really doubt that it would be a step backward from the original A07, still a perfectly good little amp. The only quibble I've heard thus far is that the 50V capacitors are not well suited for a 48v power brick. I think they are sending mine with a 30 or 32v power brick. The old A07 got plenty loud with that size of power supply. I do agree that the Fosi V3 seems to be a bit better thought out in terms of component values, cooling etc.

GoaBhau

That doesn't sound right. If I remember I'll check with mine tomorrow.

But I'd suggest contacting Fosi support and asking about it.
Looks like need a really good stereo aux cable (no oxygen copper - double shielded low noise high grade). Connected a (3.5 mm to rca) high grade low noise cable with gold plated connectors that I had to the pre out, almost no noise now. Good Cables are expensive. Setting up chifi is rabbit hole

Top Bottom