• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TempoTec Sonata BHD Pro Portable DAC & Amp Review

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 2.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 27 10.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 225 85.2%

• Total voters

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I can confirm the promotion is going. The final price, with shipping and local VAT tax (19%) included (and with a small additional discount from AliExpress, I am a regular customer), was $68. I live in an EU member state from Eastern-Europe.
Yup- my total paypal bill (taxes and delivery) was just over £60 UK. Cant really argue with that and got shipping confirmation this morning

RedCometZero

Anyone know what kind of filter this uses? Doesn't seem to be selectable, and there's no information on the Tempotec site.
The Tanchjim Space had selectable filters (the 5 default ones for the Cirrus chip that this is also using, IIR fast, IIR slow, FIR fast, FIR slow, and NOS), but I don't see anything indicating that this does on their website or the AliExpress listing. Could someone confirm? Not gonna buy anything without an FIR fast filter.

mtf612

Sorry, I'm terrible at these sorts of things, but would this DAC/Amp output sufficient power for Audeze LCD 3? I've been searching for a semi-portable solution to complement my desktop setup.

staticV3

Master Contributor
The fazor. I purchased new in 2019.
At 110Ω and ~105dB/Vrms, the BHD Pro can easily drive the LCD-3 to extreme levels of volume. Honestly, even the Apple dongle would be sufficient.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The Tanchjim Space had selectable filters (the 5 default ones for the Cirrus chip that this is also using, IIR fast, IIR slow, FIR fast, FIR slow, and NOS), but I don't see anything indicating that this does on their website or the AliExpress listing. Could someone confirm? Not gonna buy anything without an FIR fast filter.
Had any luck using the Tanchjim app to change them? Or another way? I can't get app settings to "stick". I choose an option then watch the app revert to the previous setting.

starfly

Forum Donor
Well, took the plunge on this. Always like these kinds of dongles, and with an iphone 15 on the way, I can just plug it right into that usb port :D

Saidera

In many ways, the TempoTec Sonata BHD Pro is an outstanding product that combines many of the best features of various dongles.

hayabusaxps

I have been working with this DAC for a month now, the signals pretty clean but, ive had alot of bugs with it, the possible power save mode, when you stop playing audio it blasts noise after a few seconds and the leds turn red for disconnected. you have to constantly play some music file on the PC muted or not. or it will act up. i also got the unit stuck at 1/4 volume i think also. max V balanced was like .4v on each balanced line so like stuck at .8v on the balanced 4.4mm out. and tempotec sorta left me. i do second the dac is great if only it worked as the spec sheet said most of the time.

Attachments

• STEREO adc R v05 stereo right channel xlr vpos_sig152mv.PNG
    STEREO adc R v05 stereo right channel xlr vpos_sig152mv.PNG
    322.3 KB · Views: 146

starfly

Forum Donor
I have been working with this DAC for a month now, the signals pretty clean but, ive had alot of bugs with it, the possible power save mode, when you stop playing audio it blasts noise after a few seconds and the leds turn red for disconnected. you have to constantly play some music file on the PC muted or not. or it will act up. i also got the unit stuck at 1/4 volume i think also. max V balanced was like .4v on each balanced line so like stuck at .8v on the balanced 4.4mm out. and tempotec sorta left me. i do second the dac is great if only it worked as the spec sheet said most of the time.
Have you tried contacting Tempotec to see what they have to say?

The new king in terms of output power among the small dongle is Fiio KA13, the output power of the balanced port at 32ohm is 550mW. Please test it.

raif71

Major Contributor
The new king in terms of output power among the small dongle is Fiio KA13, the output power of the balanced port at 32ohm is 550mW. Please test it.
Impressive to say the least but the balance between dongle output power and how efficient the power drainage from the host is important too. For example e1da 9038d connection to Shanling M0 could be around 2 hours after full charge which is not much. My used M0's battery is getting old. To me...an ideal usage would be 10 hours of usage after full charge with sufficient dongle output power. Of course longer hours is better.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Order one and drop ship it to Amir. Unless manufacturers offer samples , this site runs on items sent in for testing by members.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Impressive to say the least but the balance between dongle output power and how efficient the power drainage from the host is important too. For example e1da 9038d connection to Shanling M0 could be around 2 hours after full charge which is not much. My used M0's battery is getting old. To me...an ideal usage would be 10 hours of usage after full charge with sufficient dongle output power. Of course longer hours is better.
Very little really portable DAPs there ever whose with deacent performance and price which really had so good battery life. Hiby R3 Pro first falling on my mind and mostly thanks to two CS43131 DAC's. But discontinued for some time. Irony is most OEM's and rebrands jumped back to ESS for MQA (which is gratefully dead).

Last edited:
Top Bottom