• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TempoTec Sonata BHD Pro Portable DAC & Amp Review

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 3.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 27 10.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 228 85.1%

• Total voters

LiviuTM

Forum Donor
Order one and drop ship it to Amir. Unless manufacturers offer samples , this site runs on items sent in for testing by members.
I'm willing to do that, but since this is a very new product, is not yet available on Amazon. Currently, the "Buy Now" link from FiiO sends you to Tmall. Chinese is not my forte :D, so I'm not planning to mess around with Tmall.

sushi2020

How does it compare to chord mojo2?
Here it is.

Sonata BHD Pro is superior to Mojo 2 in all aspects.

dtaylo1066

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It makes one wonder if in many instances a desk top DAC is necessary? Of course no remote or preamp functions, but for $90...

I think someone makes a split USB cable that separates the power from the signal, so you can run the signal from your phone or tablet and the power from a wall wart or other source. I'll have to try and find it.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I think someone makes a split USB cable that separates the power from the signal, so you can run the signal from your phone or tablet and the power from a wall wart or other source. I'll have to try and find it.
Here's one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256802910906841.html
Also available with a Lightning plug: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256804532779810.html

What makes this one special is that there is no VBUS wire between the Host and accessory end, so it is physically impossible for the phone's battery to be drained by the DAC.
Many similar splitters still have that VBUS wire between host and accessory, so they don't reliably prevent battery drain.

Leopardy

LiviuTM

Forum Donor
Thanks. I am willing to do as I said; I also noticed it's available at FiiO's AliExpress store. The reason why I'm still hesitating? It seems AliExpress will also charge the local VAT (standard practice for EU-based customers), which bothers me a little. I intend to order the product to ship directly to Amir.

frankh

Fast rolloff, but do you know if it's an FIR or IIR filter?
Here's the info from the pdf
BHD Pro v1.01N description.jpg

And below is the DFU Tool with BHD Pro config details. I have a strong feeling that the fast rolloff filter is FIR because there's no way to enable the IIR filter even though there's an option for it

BHD Pro v1.01N.jpg

Last edited:

RedCometZero

Here's the info from the pdf
View attachment 314283

And below is the DFU Tool with BHD Pro config details. I have a strong feeling that the fast rolloff filter is FIR because there's no way to enable the IIR filter even though there's an option for it

View attachment 314284
Thanks for the info. On the Cirrus DACs, Low-Latency means IIR, and phase-compensated means FIR (well, actually I can't find for sure whether or not it's a standard FIR, or an apodizing filter, and they unhelpfully call it in their datasheet "pseudo-linear phase"). But at any rate, the settings you have pictured have it set on non-oversampling. Are you able to click those settings to change the filter in the app?

frankh

Thanks for the info. On the Cirrus DACs, Low-Latency means IIR, and phase-compensated means FIR (well, actually I can't find for sure whether or not it's a standard FIR, or an apodizing filter, and they unhelpfully call it in their datasheet "pseudo-linear phase"). But at any rate, the settings you have pictured have it set on non-oversampling. Are you able to click those settings to change the filter in the app?
If that's the case then my config is on low-latency but don't know why I can't turn on IIR filter? Looks like the current BHD Pro firmware is incomplete. Let's wait for the next update then. Hopefully Tempotec continue to deliver more updates along the way to make the BHD Pro an even more amazing product. I'm already liking it a lot, it's not breaking a sweat driving my HD600, Sundara and Edition XS :D

Last edited:

Deckard01

Hello guys.

This dongle is better sounding from IFI Go Link? Can drive K701 properly?

Moreover as I read to the comments, is it really better sounding that the Mojo 2? Because as I see Mojo costs a lot more than Sonata and has pcm 768KHz.
If it is really better than Mojo 2 I believe then that this device will be a little miracle!
As if is better from mojo 2 then it should be better and from Questyle m15 which has many good reviews too

Thank you very much.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello guys.

Moreover as I read to the comments, is it really better sounding that the Mojo 2? Because as I see Mojo costs a lot more than Sonata and has pcm 768KHz.
If it is really better than Mojo 2 I believe then that this device will be a little miracle!
As if is better from mojo 2 then it should be better and from Questyle m15 which has many good reviews too

Thank you very much.
Power requirement is just about everything with these dongles. They would have to be really bad to impart a "sound" to anything that they can drive properly(and/or have a high output impedance). My BHD arrives this week and I will plug my 701 in and test for you. Of course my "loud" might not be your "loud" so you might want to run things through a calculator to be sure.

frankh

Hello guys.

Thank you very much.
I don't know if the BHD Pro sounds better than Mojo 2 because I don't own it yet but it definitely sounds better than my Mojo 1, even though I paid $70 for my BHD Pro. I'm not trying to put the Mojo 1 down but it clearly shows that portable DACs/headphone amps are getting better now and at a much lower cost too. Big thumbs up to the smaller companies that are making great efforts to manufacture better products yet keeping the price affordable. :p

Last edited:

Deckard01

Power requirement is just about everything with these dongles. They would have to be really bad to impart a "sound" to anything that they can drive properly(and/or have a high output impedance). My BHD arrives this week and I will plug my 701 in and test for you. Of course my "loud" might not be your "loud" so you might want to run things through a calculator to be sure.
Thank for the response about testing k701! Sure everyone's loud is not the same that is sure.

Sorry I did not get what you mean by "power requirement with the dongles" and the "They would have to be really bad to impart a "sound" to anything that they can drive properly(and/or have a high output impedance)"

Thanks again

Top Bottom