• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Making my own full range 20hz speaker vs add dual subs to my floorstanding speaker

OP
B

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Maybe a DBX Driverack will do what you want.
image_DBXPA2.jpg800x800.r.jpg

These? are around 800 usd~ here

My only problem is if with these stuff, the chain will become noiser and will add noise to my tweeters at 3-5cm

A second-hand Lyngdorf DPA-1 would be a good option. Both balanced and unbalanced out with a lot of two-way crossover options. I used to use it when I used a sub with my setup. You can use two independent subs with it. It digitises all analog inputs though and it 10 or so years old so DAC performance,, while good, is not state of today's art. Plus it has room correction if you want that.
I don't wanna buy second hands things, because warranty is a good thing for me. Long life is good imho.
I don't have such issues with my avrs. I have some external amps that have a bit of hiss if you put your ear right up to the hf driver, tho.
Whats your AVR? if its good enough like the best 2channels dacs/low level line outs it will be good, i often see AVRs with built in crossover for the mains.

dfuller

Major Contributor
image_DBXPA2.jpg800x800.r.jpg

These? are around 800 usd~ here

My only problem is if with these stuff, the chain will become noise and will add noise to my tweeters at 3-5cm
Yeah, those. If you want pro level voltage swing out of a DSP crossover/speaker management, they're pretty much your best bet.

OP
B

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Yeah, those. If you want pro level voltage swing out of a DSP crossover/speaker management, they're pretty much your best bet.
These do something like 8vrms output?
My purifi has two modes, 10-11vrms~ and 2.7Vrms~

I can't limite the output from that thing? the volume control will be a bit weird

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Whats your AVR? if its good enough like the best 2channels dacs/low level line outs it will be good, i often see AVRs with built in crossover for the mains.
I use several. Not sure what the rest of your requirements are, tho. Low level outputs only vs internal amps of an avr? AVRs generally when providing a crossover, it's an actual crossover, an hpf for mains combined with lpf for subs....what are you looking for?

OP
B

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
I use several. Not sure what the rest of your requirements are, tho. Low level outputs only vs internal amps of an avr? AVRs generally when providing a crossover, it's an actual crossover, an hpf for mains combined with lpf for subs....what are you looking for?
I use a dac/pre 3 Vrms -> purifi eigentakt -> kef r7

My system currently is very silent, only with my ear right in the tweeter in the night i can hear a bit of noise

Im not sure what i want, im just thinking what i will do in the near-medium future

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I use a dac/pre 3 Vrms -> purifi eigentakt -> kef r7

My system currently is very silent, only with my ear right in the tweeter in the night i can hear a bit of noise

Im not sure what i want, im just thinking what i will do in the near-medium future
Just more limited than I prefer.

radix

Major Contributor
Would be very good if there is only a dac/pre with built-in crossover manager, it would be easier

Most of AVR are just bad if not all
Im kind of afraid to buy these external xcross and then hear noise in the tweeter at 5cm

In my small room, my floortanding is doing 30hz 0dB -6dB 25hz, but if i put these into a bigger room i will loss bass extension, the idea is having a medium size room in the future, things sound better with some space but i really like having good bass extension
The Anthem STR preamp has builtin crossover w/ 4 outputs and DRC with ARC Genesis.

radix

Major Contributor
Looks nice, but no way that thing worth the 4000 USD, nearly 5-6k plus tax+ship. No thanks xD
They are about $2k used. Anyway, preamps with crossovers are rare. Going with something like the dbx would be better, or you could use CamillaDSP plus a multi I/O interface, like a motu m6 or an RME 8-channel. There are various Linkwitz-Riley crossovers (not necessarily DSP) available too.

test1223

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My recommendation is the Hypex FA plate amp series. It should measure better than almost every other solution and doesn't cost that much. DSP, amp and a "small" preamp are on board. Even if you are not a fan of a plate amp solution IMHO this is the best solution.

P.S. I would use stereo subwoofer which aren't that far away from the mains. Have a look at the research of David Griesinger, you are sacrificing envelopment qualities of the loudspeaker doing it in other ways.

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
Going analog for x-over has some interesting options as @Plcamp suggested here.
(although I don't know if they include the all-pass filters for delay,etc ) :

Ciobi69

an avr denon/marantz with dirac with bass management is what you need

dfuller

Major Contributor
These do something like 8vrms output?
My purifi has two modes, 10-11vrms~ and 2.7Vrms~

I can't limite the output from that thing? the volume control will be a bit weird
Your volume control is upstream of it. This is right before it hits your amp/sub/etc

boxerfan88

For the moment, I am using dbx 234XL analog crossover to split the DAC analog out signal between the mains (KH310) and the subwoofer. It works pretty well.
It's a setup you may want to consider...

In the near future, I plan to experiment with a dual DAC setup with a digital crossover inside fb2k.
( I didn't go with miniDSP because I didn't quite like the idea of A-D-D-A conversions. )

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah but i don't like the minidsp 2x4hd at all, its only 2 Vrms and my power amp needs at least 3 Vrms
RME don't have anything for this? what about others brands
When i bought my dac/pre was about 5 years ago
Then look at the MiniDSP Flex with balanced connections.

Reactions: MAB

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use a MiniDSP SHD studio into an Okto DAC8 pro with benchmark amps in my main system . There is no hiss.

Other solutions include the standard SHD, MiniDSP flex, or a used nanoDigi and your choice of DACs

MAB

Major Contributor
I use a miniDSP Flex Balanced with PuriFi amps driving a pair of JBL DIY M2 clones with D2430K compression drivers.
No residual noise from the drivers, the miniDSP is silent and transparent. And they sound tremendous.

I've been building speakers for years, miniDSP is game-changer for DIY. I wish there were more companies offering competitive products.

I do think you should do some study, and perhaps start small. The Seas drivers in the Joseph Audio speakers you referenced are moderately difficult to work with and quite expensive.
Im wondering if something like this can do prope 20hz with low distortion, doesn't look very complicated
Pearls-002.jpg
I built a pair of speakers with these same Seas Excel drivers and 10" Seas Excel subs. They sound great, but do require significant equalization of the midrange driver, and have a challenging time matching the tweeter's directivity to the mid. I use a MiniDSP Flex Eight to great effect, and even evaluate some passive notch filtering for the woofer. One thing about those Joseph Audio Pearls, they have a fantastic finish that is going to be hard to match! And while they have good bass, you will have to be careful with content at 20Hz since those two 8" woofers can only move so much air and seem to be tuned low.

As you can see (from my second post to you;)), I am pretty happy with using miniDSP. I'm not sure of your experiences with their gear, but mine have been nothing short of fantastic. They sound great (even compared to my RME DAC), and have features for speaker building, sub integration, and room correction that are hard to find elsewhere.

fineMen

Major Contributor
I'm seeying plenty of new drivers that look amazing, some from sb acoustics and purifi.
But the problem is still the same, 20hz!

Is that hard to make a speaker by myself or is just better buy a good 3-way speaker and then add dual subs?

Also, how can i cross the main speakers at 60~80hz?
Is not like my dac/pre has the feature for doing that, is there a good dac/pre with that feature ? dac/pre->power amp -> speakers?
People say that 20Hz cannot actually be heard. A (very) low distortion woofer from my own lab didn't make me hear lower than 30Hz, and even that was hard. If you believe otherwise, which is o/k with me, why stop at 20Hz then?

If using a smaller enclosure the power demand will explode (not really, but square law is pretty strong already ), the cone's mass etc. There is always compromise.

I cannot imagine the room they are going to be used in, but as already stated, room acoustics will most probably be a substantial factor for the overall performance calculation, taking all compromises into account. If possible you might even think of a smaller room as to achieve desired low frequencies with less power using simple pressurization.

A ported design is clearly ruled out due to port size. This opens the door to feedback drive. Basically every sealed box is capable of going as low as you want given the right feed with an equalized signal.

Finally an uncompromising speaker would comprise like a dozend speaker for low excursion in a volume that would allow your amplification to drive them alltogether to the given excursion for acceptable distortion. What are thes parameters in your case? Budget?

OP
B

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
My problem with minidsp is my experience with a Kef reference 3 setup and the A DD A thing

I know a guy with the topping d90, kef reference 3 and had this

image-3.jpg

There was a huge weird thing in the lower bass, a weird sound that was a completely deal breaker, we thinked the problems was the ports or something but when we disconnect this thing the problem went away, we were using this into the coax

He ended selling this thing and not going back to minidsp, i remember this has the akm chip”
People say that 20Hz cannot actually be heard. A (very) low distortion woofer from my own lab didn't make me hear lower than 30Hz, and even that was hard. If you believe otherwise, which is o/k with me, why stop at 20Hz then?

If using a smaller enclosure the power demand will explode (not really, but square law is pretty strong already ), the cone's mass etc. There is always compromise.

I cannot imagine the room they are going to be used in, but as already stated, room acoustics will most probably be a substantial factor for the overall performance calculation, taking all compromises into account. If possible you might even think of a smaller room as to achieve desired low frequencies with less power using simple pressurization.

A ported design is clearly ruled out due to port size. This opens the door to feedback drive. Basically every sealed box is capable of going as low as you want given the right feed with an equalized signal.

Finally an uncompromising speaker would comprise like a dozend speaker for low excursion in a volume that would allow your amplification to drive them alltogether to the given excursion for acceptable distortion. What are thes parameters in your case? Budget?
I have a small room running a purifi eigentakt with lef r7, i got 30hz 0dB, -6dB 25hz.

But my problem is i have planar headphones that goes to 20hz, and there is some music who has some synth and different stuff that actually goes to 20-30hz. For example Taylor swift has some stuff that goes very low

MAB

Major Contributor
My problem with minidsp is my experience with a Kef reference 3 setup and the A DD A thing
Yeah, you mentioned that 'you know a guy' who had a miniDSP...
I have no idea what 'the A DD A thing' is though...;) You had mentioned 'huge weird thing in the lower bass', which sounds like the guy you knew had a ground loop, or other implementation problem. The noise and distortion on these devices is vanishingly low, and for sure your description indicates it wasn't working properly or wasn't being used properly. :cool:

Top Bottom