• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nice turntables. Attached picture is an absolute requirement.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On a side note: Major Malfunction is my official military rank.
Mine is Private Data.
35b591b466e8da42d2408ea2096b6da3_w200.gif

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Some nice Turntable Pron in this video (IMO)

Not a fan of the featured 'built like a tank' turntable. It would feel too much like operating a science experiment or piece of military equipment. But plenty of the other more modest turntable strike me as very attractive. I love the use of beautiful materials in many of these designs. (Though I get the feeling many members here skew old-school in their preferences):

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
All that money being spent, only to end up with second rate sound quality.. :facepalm:
But you (and I) don't hear what they really hear.:oops:
Would you consider owning one of these?
  • 1965 Pontiac GTO Tri-Power
  • 1967 Ford Shelby GT500 SuperSnake
  • 1969 Chevy Camaro COPO 427ci
  • 1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429
Now, replace each with a sought-after turntable model, at any cost.
Now, maybe you can hear what they are really hearing.

BTW: My choice would be the COPO!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, but on the other hand, could anything be more boring than a DAC? ;)
I have digital fundamentals for education/training and DACs are exciting in a digital way and manner. Fascinating stuff. :D

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have digital fundamentals for education/training and DACs are exciting in a digital way and manner. Fascinating stuff. :D
?
I have fundamentals for education/training and DSOP$ (Don't Spend Other People's Money).:eek:

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
LoL. We spend others money here nearly everyday. gg*
I don't think we are prohibited from voting with our pocketbooks, either here or in the voting booth.
Just like those voting booths; some of those wallets are republican and others are democrat.:cool:

scrubb

Forum Donor
First record player? This GE portable record changer my parents bought me. It was great at destroying record but got me through a bunch of kids records. Then around age eleven I used my allowance to buy the 45 rpm single of the brand new Pink Floyd song Another Brick in the Wall. My first actual LP was Styx Grand Illusion. Still have both records.

Attachments

• IMG_2152.jpeg
    IMG_2152.jpeg
    229.2 KB · Views: 45

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Oh I know there are tech nerds who get in to the weeds on anything. :)

For me, my DAC is a black box, it sits on the shelf, I don't interact with it, pretty much forget it's there, and never need another one. I don't spend my time pouring over specs
for this or other DACs.

But I do find turntables much more beautiful, interesting and satisfying to interact with. To each his own, as always.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For me, my DAC is a black box, it sits on the shelf, I don't interact with it, pretty much forget it's there, and never need another one. I don't spend my time pouring over specs
for this or other DACs.
My DAC sits behind the monitor forgotten forever as long as I don't move my desk. It's long forgotten as an appliance.
But I do find turntables much more beautiful, interesting and satisfying to interact with. To each his own, as always.
Turntables do have a elemental fundamental intriguing operation based on the most simple of mechanism that is high accuracy and finesses it's way through the grooves. I appreciate that as I worked as a mechatronics tech for 15 years. I owned esoteric turntables and also high end Japanese builds that where no muss no fuss operation and did a good job of tracking and imaging. So I can appreciate how peeps get into turntables. But DACs blow them out of the water when the recordings enable that to happen.

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
...For me, my DAC is a black box, it sits on the shelf, I don't interact with it...
Funny you say that.:oops:
I was trying to remember what brands my CD players were... and all I remember is that I don't 'remember' not one of them... to wax poetic over.:(

Top Bottom