• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Roksan Attessa Streaming Amplifier Review

Rate this streaming amplifier

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 251 84.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 36 12.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 4 1.3%

• Total voters

Toni Mas

Do you think that US made amplifiers and receiver from the likes of American McIntosh, Marantz, and Sherwood or Japanese Pioneer, Technics, Kenwood, Sansui, and Sony were crappy during the 70s?
Absolute crap, yes!

And this is part of my european audiophile education and culture...

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

ta240

Major Contributor
@amirm , this is fascinating and terrific! What will your poo-poors at audiogon will say to this? You’ve shown admirable patience dealing with them on the post “who buys based on Amirm?”. But I wonder why you keep at it. Their retorts are absolutely meaningless. What a crazy world!
Meaningless retorts are the best. How do you argue with nonsense?
I saw a comedian one time tell a story about a guy yelling at him in traffic to move when he had nowhere to go because... traffic. So, according to his story, he yelled back at the guy "Give me my jacket back! I didn't give it to you, I just loaned it to you! You are completely ruining it! Give it back!"

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Absolute crap, yes!
Well, unlike WhatHifi many magazines back then made measurements, albeit not as sophisticated as these days. And if you check some measurements for "vintage" gear, they measure competently... and certainly this Roksan doesn't set a high bar. I "borrowed" a Sansui integrated amp from my Dad when I was a student, and it was pretty amazing. Twice I tried to upgrade, twice the upgrade failed. It took a used Luxman t make me feel that maybe I was doing better, but emancipation of finally having my own was probably a huge factor. That said that Sansui must've weighted 50lbs and wasn't the friendliest to move with (weight + some sharp edges) at a time when I moved a lot... :-D

Toni Mas

Please define crap with values and preferably compare it to the SOTA at the time.
Do you remember the claims of 0,0000000001% thd so fashionable in the 70s in the early days of massive negative feedback and how the Scott, Sony, Pioneer amps sounded paired with JBL, Polk and similar boom boxes?:facepalm:

Toni Mas

Well, unlike WhatHifi many magazines back then made measurements, albeit not as sophisticated as these days. And if you check some measurements for "vintage" gear, they measure competently... and certainly this Roksan doesn't set a high bar. I "borrowed" a Sansui integrated amp from my Dad when I was a student, and it was pretty amazing. Twice I tried to upgrade, twice the upgrade failed. It took a used Luxman t make me feel that maybe I was doing better, but emancipation of finally having my own was probably a huge factor. That said that Sansui must've weighted 50lbs and wasn't the friendliest to move with (weight + some sharp edges) at a time when I moved a lot... :-D
Sorry but these big brands loved mass production and entry level too much to keep a high standard and reputation.

This is why small players as Roksan became so popular between freakies like my dad and me... With the help of small shops and dealers, and more or less underground specialized reviewers...

Triliza

Forum Donor
If someone needs a streaming amplifier and is ok with this price tag, in US at least, I'd think saving some more money and buying a NAD M33 would be a better choice, class D, Dirac and it looks nice too.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you remember the claims of 0,0000000001% thd so fashionable in the 70s in the early days of massive negative feedback and how the Scott, Sony, Pioneer amps sounded paired with JBL, Polk and similar boom boxes?:facepalm:
May I suggest that instead of using obscenely exaggerated numbers you give real numbers that shows the American and Japanese audio equipment on the market at the time to be much worse than what the SOTA was at the time.

If you don’t have any data, your words are baseless. Various Hi-Fi magazines had been testing equipment during the 70s. Data exists.

Last edited:

Toni Mas

May I suggest that instead of using obscenely exaggerated numbers you give real numbers that shows many American and Japanese audio equipment on the market to be much worse than what the SOTA was at the time.

If you don’t have any data, your words are baseless. Various Hi-Fi magazines had been testing equipment during the 70s. Data exists.
I am 64 and i remember those claims of 0.000000...%thd by the "state of the art" designers of the world leaders of the industry the 70s, and how in response and justified by the poor subjective performance of these amps, other new underground designers started to criticize the abuse of negative feedback as cure all solution and unique path to audio nirvana... Remember guys like Matti Ottala (Electrocompaniet) and his theory about transient distortion? That esoteric stuff is what audiophiles loved to hear and their expectations (attessa) are the key success factors of brands like Roksan and so many others successful free riders of this business.

Not to mention Audio Note and other Zen gurús...

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am 64 and i remember those claims of 0.000000...%thd by the "state of the art" designers of the world leaders of the industry the 70s, and how in response and justified by the poor subjective performance of these amps, other new underground designers started to criticize the abuse of negative feedback as cure all solution and unique path to audio nirvana... Remember guys like Matti Ottala (Electrocompaniet) and his theory about transient distortion? That esoteric stuff is what audiophiles loved to hear and their expectations (attessa) are the key success factors of brands like Roksan and so many others successful free riders of this business.

It looks like your definition of crap is not based on objective data but on your memories. If that is the case I’m afraid I cannot comment further as it can only be my words against yours. The reason ASR exists is to stop that happening.

Toni Mas

It looks like your definition of crap is not based on objective data but on your memories. If that is the case I’m afraid I cannot comment further as it can only be my words against yours. The reason ASR exists is to stop that happening.
I am just using these memories to try explain to younger guys how It is possible that a brand with so bad performance products can have a strong enough reputation to market and sell them at such a high price point. An the reason is merely an educational and cultural one: we european audiophiles have been taught since our childhood that american and japanese Big names produce audio crap, because mass market IS crap market.

Something of course hard to understand for people from the Sinad generation that frown when new riders like Topping make some cautious intent to give an emotional and esoteric touch to some of their products: obviously to please old fashioned freakies like me...

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Interesting, as over here we've 'been taught' that a lot of european names produce overpriced crap, and before most of the manufacturing was moved to China it was because of the 'hand-built' (variable)- nature. It's more a romantic motion than a sign of tight manufacturing tolerances. And of course europeans crapped on 'mass produced' items from Japan, as they did not have the manufacturing capabilities to match.

Each side pisses on the other. Human nature. Two sides of same coin. We can't do what they do so we spread the word that our way is the right way.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry but these big brands loved mass production and entry level too much to keep a high standard and reputation.

This is why small players as Roksan became so popular between freakies like my dad and me... With the help of small shops and dealers, and more or less underground specialized reviewers...
I cant recall recall Sansui ever being a mass brand. Among others. People would look at you blank faced.

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I guess that in those days Class A was so praised by purists (or puritans...) that running hot became a must for audiophile gear, even if biased as the rest of the A/B crowd...:rolleyes:
I see Musical Fidelity have just re-released the A1 A class amp. Still fantastic looking kit.

Galliardist

Major Contributor

When it comes to those low distortion amps, we can see at least some of the reviews and commentary of the time online again now. The description of those amps you are complaining about is essentially summed up in the word "boring".

Fast forward to today, and that sums up the response of modern reviewers to at least some of the equipment that is well reviewed and liked on this forum today. It seems as well that some of those low distortion amps from the 1970's are now "classic collectors' items that sound far better than that boring, cheap rubbish new class D crap".

I wonder what's really changed?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I am 64 and i remember those claims of 0.000000...%thd by the "state of the art" designers of the world leaders of the industry the 70s

Your 'memory' of the 70s and the reality of claimed THD numbers for HiFi amplifiers at the time are completely different.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
I see Musical Fidelity have just re-released the A1 A class amp. Still fantastic looking kit.
I was in the UK when the original came out, and remember a demonstration at a hifi show for two things: the only time I ever heard a system at a show actually hard clipping (the legend states that it could drive difficult loads...) and a comment from someone in the room that it will sell extremely well in Australia because "it's the only amp that doubles as a barbie".

Galliardist

Major Contributor
True: when did they reach 0.00x%, around 1979? But amps that had 0.05% measured in reviews were the low distortion amps of the early 1970s, and the ones that got it in the neck from some of the early subjectivists. The clamour mounted later, when that second 0 appeared.

Top Bottom