• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X4800H AVR Review

Rate this AVR

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 72 22.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 178 54.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 68 20.7%

• Total voters

dlaloum

Major Contributor
What reason is that? I'm looking for a new AVR that will be used as a preamp for the fronts + subs, and only use the amps for surroundchannels + center.
one of the main differences between the X3 and X4 is the power amps and the power supply - more power and more current - with more robust cooling etc... - All of which is redundant if you are using them only for the surround/height channels. (which is how I and many others have their AVR's set up!)

Reactions: NIN

PGAMiami

Factory refurbs were on sale for $1599 direct from Denon until their 20% off code expired yesterday. Best deal I see right now is factory refurbs for $1799 with 3-yr warranty. If I didn't want to try out FW support at some point, I would have picked one up myself at these prices.
Denon didn’t have refurbished 4800s in stock when I tried buying from them, but they directed my to Safe and Sound that had open box units for $1879, with 3 year warranty. i couldn’t be happier

Last edited:

WanderingSoul

Hi, I am looking to expand my setup. I currently have a Rotel rc1590 preamp and a Rotel rb1582mk2 which I want to pair with either the x3800h or x4800h, so that the Rotel handles the front and the denon the rest.

In terms of speakers I have BW 702 s2 and I am thinking of getting the htm71 s3 and 705 s3 to get to a 5 channel setup.

There's currently a 900€ difference between the 3 and 4800h. Given the above setup, would it be worth it to get the 4800h or would you advise against it?

PGAMiami

The Denon is not designed for such loads, see also the EPDR values below 3ohms here: Link
Almost all speakers have fluctuating impedance. BW specified the nominal impedance as 8 ohms. I would expect the 4800 will not have any problems with your two surrounds, especially if the front channels are on separate amps. My 4800 is only driving two surround speakers and it sounds great. Never felt like I need more power for the surround speakers, even with 1,000 watts on each of the front speaker.

WanderingSoul

The front speakers are actually very close to my sofa. About 2 m. I woulr use the denon for mainly HT and gaming at decent not deafening levels.

PGAMiami

A generalized statement like that is not going to help the OP.

According to B&W:
Sensitivity 90dB spl (2.83VRMS, 1m)
Nominal impedance 8Ω (minimum 3.1Ω
Recommended amplifier 30W - 300W into 8Ω on unclipped power programme

The fact is, regardless of your claim, it depends on how the WonderSoul's application. For example, if he sits 3 meters from his speakers (just an example), and the loudest spl he listens to is less than 80 dB average 100 dB peak, then yes the Denon AVR-X3800H and X4800H are suitable for those speakers.
Also, expecting that you set up the surround speakers as small with a crossover at 100hz or so, I cannot imagine the Denons not having enough power on just two speakers

PGAMiami

The front speakers are actually very close to my sofa. About 2 m. I woulr use the denon for mainly HT and gaming at decent not deafening levels.
If the extra few hundred dollars are not a problem for you, get the 4800. It has better prepro and a beefier power supply. Frankly, if you get a refurbished one, they are a bargain. Just a few years ago the processing and subsequent benefit you get from Dirac was not possible unless you ran the processing on a PC. You could have spent 10,000 on a processor and it would not have been as good as a 4800.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Also, expecting that you set up the surround speakers as small with a crossover at 100hz or so, I cannot imagine the Denons not having enough power on just two speakers

Sorry, you were too quick for me to edit, I was going to add the following:

- Reviewers, including Stereophile would typically suggest 4 ohm rated amps for the likes of the B&W 702 S2, based on the impedance dips and phase angles combination. In my opinion, they should always qualify such recommendations with the actual use conditions. (https://www.stereophile.com/content/bowers-wilkins-702-s2-loudspeaker-measurements). People like JA should keep mind more often, the question of whether an amp rated 350 W 8 ohms, 174 W 4 ohms, 87 W 2 ohms is better or worse than one that is rated 50 W 8 ohms, 100 W 4 ohms, 150 W 2 ohms. For me, the choice is easy, I would take the 350 W 8 ohm amp unless I need the amp to drive 2 ohm nominal speakers.

For example, if the OP, in this case plan on using those speakers for listening to reference level, sitting from 4 meters, then yes, the Denon AVRs are not designed for such applications. Then again, if he listens that loud, and sit from 4 meters, then JA of Stereophile should not just say 4 ohm rated amps recommended without saying anything about 4 ohm rated for what output level. By calculation, he probably would, or should suggest 4 ohm rated for 800 WPC, if sitting from 4 meters and expect up to reference spl.

By not including sufficient caveat, qualifying statements, it might lead to people like Pogo who might get fixated on generalized remarks based on things like "EPDR", and damping factor (that he is still fixated on) that in many cases/applications won't need to be a concern for the users.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

In that case you will be fine with the 3800, the 4800 is obviously better based on features, and has a little stronger power supply.
You can play with an online calculator such as the following:

For sensitivity, the 702 S2 specs say 90 dB/2.83V/1m, but to be super conservative, you can enter 86 dB to allow for the 3.1 ohm minimum impedance dip, because such calculators typically based their calculations on 8 ohm load impedance.

pogo

Major Contributor
The 705 S3 dips below 3ohms in the range of approx. 100-150Hz (see previous provided link)!

Here the answer from Denon for another candidate:
Dear Mr. xxx,
thank you very much for contacting us.

As technical data, we recommend the connection of loudspeakers with an impedance of 6 to 16 ohms, for some models like the Avr-X4800H it is 4 to 16 ohms. Any type of loudspeaker with this nominal impedance can be operated without hesitation.

The nominal impedance is the specification of the resistance at dormant state. During operation and with increasing volume, the actual impedance can deviate greatly from the nominal impedance. In addition, the impedance is frequency dependent. The impedance can then assume values significantly below the nominal impedance to below 1 Ohm. With the variety of models offered and the most diverse properties, we can therefore not make a generally binding recommendation. Since a low impedance means an increased power output and thus a higher heating of the amplifier, a critical operating condition can be reached, which could mean a defect in the amplifier or the loudspeakers.

Therefore, make sure that the minimum impedance (in the entire frequency spectrum) should generally not fall below a value of 3.2 ohms.

With current AV receivers, you can change the impedance of the connected speakers with the help of a key combination described in the operating instructions. If you select 4 Ohm here the amplifier limits the available power to prevent overloads.

So in your case, the Nubert nuLine 34 speakers are not recommended.

With best regards
Your Product Support Team

Translated from German

Reactions: pjn

rvsixer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Denon didn’t have refurbished 4800s in stock when I tried buying from them, but they directed my to Safe and Sound that had open box units for $1879, with 3 year warranty. i couldn’t be happier
That's great you got your deal. Denon had 4800's back in stock the last day of the 20% off sale, and the $1799 deal has been available for about a month now. Just putting that out there for anyone wanting one of these for $1799 and free shipping.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The 705 S3 dips below 3ohms in the range of approx. 100-150Hz (see previous provided link)!

Here the answer from Denon for another candidate:
Dear Mr. xxx,
thank you very much for contacting us.

As technical data, we recommend the connection of loudspeakers with an impedance of 6 to 16 ohms, for some models like the Avr-X4800H it is 4 to 16 ohms. Any type of loudspeaker with this nominal impedance can be operated without hesitation.

The nominal impedance is the specification of the resistance at dormant state. During operation and with increasing volume, the actual impedance can deviate greatly from the nominal impedance. In addition, the impedance is frequency dependent. The impedance can then assume values significantly below the nominal impedance to below 1 Ohm. With the variety of models offered and the most diverse properties, we can therefore not make a generally binding recommendation. Since a low impedance means an increased power output and thus a higher heating of the amplifier, a critical operating condition can be reached, which could mean a defect in the amplifier or the loudspeakers.

Therefore, make sure that the minimum impedance (in the entire frequency spectrum) should generally not fall below a value of 3.2 ohms.

With current AV receivers, you can change the impedance of the connected speakers with the help of a key combination described in the operating instructions. If you select 4 Ohm here the amplifier limits the available power to prevent overloads.

So in your case, the Nubert nuLine 34 speakers are not recommended.

With best regards
Your Product Support Team

Translated from German

Nothing new there, and you seem to be contadicting yourself. May be you don't understand much about electrical theories, and technical specs. That's of course fine, as long as you include links to information that relates to your claims, as you have just done, this time. Thank you.

pogo

Major Contributor
Technically, this is faultless from Denon!

NIN

one of the main differences between the X3 and X4 is the power amps and the power supply - more power and more current - with more robust cooling etc... - All of which is redundant if you are using them only for the surround/height channels. (which is how I and many others have their AVR's set up!)

The main concern it that X3800, as I understand it, only do 1,6 volt output. I don't know if it can drive my power amplifiers (+26dB) fully.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
If you look at AmirM's review - although the wording is "clips" it maintain SINAD above 75db at 2V+

The tech review is not clear as to how much more V it can put out beyond that while maintaining acceptable SINAD (ie at what point does it truly "clip" and SINAD drop off dramatically - at 75db the SINAD is still within the acceptable audibility range!)

What amp are you using?

Last edited:
Top Bottom