• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neutrik NA2F-D0B-TX XLR to RCA Adapter Review

Rate this converter:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 121 82.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 3 2.0%

• Total voters

thecheapseats

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Asking for good performance at 4Vrms from peanut-sized transformer is silly and doesn't work no matter who build it, be it Neutrik, Jensen, Lundahl, Sowter, Cinemag, ...
yep - trash boxes... really only good in an emergency/pinch for interfacing a device - and not much else...

Hayabusa

Sorry the ingenuous question, but not use a XLR-RCA cable?
The use for this device is decouple the two sides, so solving ground loop kind of problems, a XLR-RCA cable will not do that.

Herbert

I just went through the whole stuff
recently building a decent mic preamp for my film-camera and choosing the right transformer for
line-level, going from balanced to unbalanced. The transformer in a housing like the NA2F’ is way
too small to drive line levels. I would re-test at Mic level. I assume Neutrik used this transformer, NTE-1 : https://asset.conrad.com/media10/ad...ce-200-primary-voltage-12-v-content-1-pcs.pdf

Last edited:

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have some adaptaters from Neutrik (XLR to 1/4" TRS jack) and, while they are technically as transparent as one could whish, they are fragile.
I broke 2 accidentally already.

Keep Neutrik for what they do best:
their pro connectors.

Randyman...

Something like an active Radial J+4 with much larger X-Formers is a better solution - especially when level-matching is basically a given going from RCA > XLR :)

Gruesome

Amir, I think you misread the specs and severely overloaded the transformer. dBu is with respect to 0.775V, isn't it? I suggest repeating the test with at most a few 100 mV at the input.
Edit: the Google says that DI boxes feed into microphone inputs of consoles, and that a common level might be -30 dBu. So a few 100 mV is still way to high. I think this meshes with your first plot, where the transformer starts distorting at 70mV, i.e. below -10 dBu. This gizmo is not made to handle line levels.

Last edited:

Randyman...

Amir, I think you misread the specs and severely overloaded the transformer. dBu is with respect to 0.775V, isn't it? I suggest repeating the test with at most a few 100 mV at the input.
The distortion graph shows distortions starting at 70mV, and a rolloff starting at 80Hz! Maybe the 3rd harmonic causing the 60dB SINAD at 4v was some heavy saturation (but the waveform still looks smooth) - but clearly this thing is not a fantastic solution for anything full-range/HiFi.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The use for this device is decouple the two sides, so solving ground loop kind of problems, a XLR-RCA cable will not do that.
But if you don't have a ground loop issue, IDk why you would need the tranformer. Benchmark and Emotiva make XLR to RCA cable that leave the inverting output (pin 3) unconnected, rather than shorting it to ground. I use this in my system to connect my Octo DAC 8 outputs to my two SVS SB 2000 subs with no apparent detriment (ground loops).

johnnyx

I worked for a company that made a line-level isolated audio distribution box for studios, which used transformers. The transformers were fairly large and heavy toroids, and there was an additional feedback winding. The feedback winding was used to include the transformer within the linearising feedback loop of the driving amplifier, used to reduce distortion and increase bandwidth.

pma

Major Contributor
Asking for good performance at 4Vrms from peanut-sized transformer is silly and doesn't work no matter who build it, be it Neutrik, Jensen, Lundahl, Sowter, Cinemag, ...
Exactly! Some of the ASR tests are very strange and are missing basic understanding and understanding what is the purpose of the component.

Randyman...

Exactly! Some of the ASR tests are very strange and are missing basic understanding and understanding what is the purpose of the component.
The distortion graph shows distortions starting at 70mV, and a rolloff starting at 80Hz! Maybe the 3rd harmonic causing the 60dB SINAD at 4v was some heavy saturation (but the waveform still looks smooth) - but clearly this thing is not a fantastic solution for anything full-range/HiFi.

Reactions: VQR

Randyman...

not exactly - the right xfmrs used correctly are fine... perfectly appropriate to use one in the right application...
Jensen Twin Servo Transformer Coupled Mic Pre. Perfect example. And will send like +28dBu 20-20k or so w/o any saturation...

Randyman...

for level matching - galvanic isolation is a byproduct of a xfmr...
If stepping down or 1:1 - usually OK. If stepping up, you will generally have additional loading and reflected impedances to deal with. If you have a stout output driver, you are likely OK. But those Ebtech/Morley -10/+4 "passive level shifters" are pushing it IMO. And you need a substantial transformer for good 20Hz performance.

An Active/buffered Radial J+4 is a better option.

Top Bottom