• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Magico S3 NFS Spinorama and comparison to Revel F228Be

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Question largely answered, but there's one thing with tells me the Magico's will only go so far - THEY'RE PASSIVE!!!!!!!!! - Meaning you'll need to spend a shedload more money on tasty power amps (none of this cheapskate cased Class D rubbish - you know what I jokingly mean here :D) which look good driving them!

I have to give Majico huge credit for getting their speakers to perform so well in a high end market crippled by overpriced but beefy looking tat frankly, but the market they're aiming for isn't ours (sota performance for peanuts not caring for the looks - which is getting more and more achievable each year) - you know what I mean PJ ;)

You stick to aiming for a nice pair of mid size Genelecs and I'll stay with my granddaddy passive speakers until I can look at some nice Neumanns maybe (shedding all my geriatric power amps as I go and ATC's are too damned expensive even assuming I could buy some at 'best export trade price' which is unlikely now sadly :D
Or If I'll win the lottery I'll buy the 8381 which will wipe the floor with these Magicos :)

NYfan2

Forum Donor
Last year I heard Magico M2 at a Hifi show, I was pretty impressed how they sounded. And Magico was one of the few brands who did a lot of room treatment with acoustic panels and the Dutch salesperson also mentioned the room modes that affected the bass sound depending on where you were in the room. That also impressed me, at least they know what they are doing, something I miss with a lot of the "high-end" brands.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I heard older 901's in one room and they were a bit coloured, but stunning in the way they presented th emusic without strain or stress. I suspect it was a bit artificial but so what, they did it *in that room.* I've never heard them perform that well elsewhere apart from going loud with a big amp up 'em... My boss bought the pro version for his parties in small function rooms and halls and used them facing the 'wrong way,' as the extra if amorphous spread of sound suited the task better.

That’s right. If I am lucky enough to have a room that works, it’s like winning the audiophile lottery!

Doesn’t matter if only 1% of rooms work or 70% if it works in mine!

This is Dirac Live EQ’ing the RAW speaker in my room to a Harman +10dB bass target (with me sitting and holding the mic instead of using a tripod) versus the Bose EQ box.

1685471543654.png

You can see that we don’t have a glaring discrepancy and therefore the uncorrected 901 is doing pretty well!

And again, I have done the measurements to show the differences between the original and Series VI and VI ver 2.0

I have always loved the sound of Magico, and they are in my “backyard” but it’s great for the wallet when the Bose 901 works great in my home.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Travis

Travis

I don't have them ..yet :)
It's a small room
G’s will be resplendent. S3’s wouldn’t even work.

What else have you seen in similar size/function as the 8361s with similar measurements? Neumann? Others? That’s going to be the big question for you, how will other studio monitors with similar specs sound to you in your room?

Or it could be one you skip entirely, you get the Gens, you are happy, and you never look back.

Travis

OP
richard12511

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
richard12511

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sinking massive amounts of money into stereo doesn't produce results no matter how good the speakers are.

More and more, this is the conclusion I've come to. You can only get so close to perfect with traditional speakers, and at a certain price, they all start sounding very similar if they're shooting for the same target.

Still, for someone like Jeff Bezos, the difference in price isn't all that significant ;). For us normies though, it doesn't make sense.

OP
richard12511

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So where was it said that the comparison was said Revel speaker? And what are they saying is the same price? Which Magico speaker costs the same?

He doesn't say outright that it's a Revel speaker(says "competitive speaker in terms of stature and price range"), but if you look at the image on screen it looks to me like the Revel F228Be, but that's also why I added the "?" at the end. I'd be curious to know it really is. I don't know for sure. Note that they are similar stature, but not at all in the same price range. A5 is $24,000, and the 228Be is $11,000.

Last edited:
OP
richard12511

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are thousands of multichannel albums recorded and mixed for release as multichannel. Well over 10,000 now that Atmos has become a thing actually, I'm not even sure what the count is anymore. Not all of them are good, but most of them sound much better than stereo.

E: I dont want to turn this into the multichannel thread. But "no content" is just a straight up myth, people need to stop parroting it.

I'd love to see a truly cost no object(M9 like) active multi-channel(including subs) system with self contained dsp integration. It would come with a setup mic and use something like audiolense + baach dsp with a nice UI to auto calibrate/integrate everything together. I understand that wouldn't sell as well, as most don't want that many boxes in their room, but it would be cool to see as an ultimate sound system.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wish all audiophiles would have experienced at least once a good multichannel setup, then they would know what they are missing. By the way due to current space limitations I also just have stereo systems but I also know what I would do if I had the choice.
I have, and I am not a fan. Multichannel is wasted on me. Even for movies. I think it silly to look at a 2D screen in front of me and yet hear all those spatial FX.

And as a jazz and classical music lover, I have never ever, not once, sat in the *middle* of the band or orchestra. It is in front of me. Count me out on multi-channel. A 2 channel system (or 2.1) is hard enough to set up right.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
This is the speaker in question:
View attachment 289271

Looks very similar to the Revel F228Be to me(white drivers with darker surround, correct number of drivers, port in the right spot, and overall shape looks similar. Definitely could be wrong though.

View attachment 289272

I'd dismissed the speculation so thanks for the comparative photo.

edit: I did mean comparative, not combative, autocorrect keeps things interesting ... :)

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have, and I am not a fan. Multichannel is wasted on me. Even for movies. I think it silly to look at a 2D screen in front of me and yet hear all those spatial FX.

And as a jazz and classical music lover, I have never ever, not once, sat in the *middle* of the band or orchestra. It is in front of me. Count me out on multi-channel. A 2 channel system (or 2.1) is hard enough to set up right.
Reading your above comment gives me doubts having heard a good one. A good multichannel audio setup is not "to place you in the middle of the band" but like Toole writes to enhance envelopment and removing the cues from the small reproduction space and replacing them with ones of the original recording space.

Top Bottom