• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Message to golden-eared audiophiles posting at ASR for the first time...

MarkS

Major Contributor
I remember back then reading an interview with a recording engineer who was praising the superior sound of CDs. The interviewer asked about people who claimed that vinyl sounded better. He responded, "Their criteria are not my criteria."

I've always remembered that, and have found it a useful mantra in many situations (not just audio).

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
My Qutest and Mojo 2 sound awesome xxx

No doubt they do.

Humans can only see a certain amount of stars in the night sky, taste a certain amount of minerals in their drinking water and hear a certain amount of shortcomings in audio gear.

There's no doubt that the engineering at Chord is plenty good enough to satisfy the human senses.

chouca

That Sinking Feeling When Researching on Other Forums

Arbitrarily chosen forum topic: Focal Sopra vs Kef Blade

Me: Ooh! This is relevant to my interests!

OP: "I ultimately bought the Sopra because it had <ineffable qualities in the treble and midrange> that I preferred."

Me: Interesting, I wonder what measurements correspond to <ineffable qualities>? Could it be elevated response in that region?

OP: "Still, it was missing <some other ineffable quality> in the bass."

Me: Interesting...

OP: "So I upgraded my speaker cables and suddenly I had everything that was missing!"

Me: Oh dear. I've got a bad feeling about this.

OP: "Then I bought this $700 audiophile-grade silent network switch and took it to another level! Everything really does matter!"

Me: NOoo! Once again I've wasted my time trying to learn from delusional people! Now I'm mad at myself!

What's frustrating is that it's not always obvious when the discussion tips into delusion, so there's this slow process of discovering that you're wasting your time, and then it's too late. You've already wasted it.

In a nutshell, I heart ASR. Thanks for being here, everyone.

Newman

Major Contributor
Me: Nooo! Once again I've wasted my time trying to learn from delusional people! Now I'm mad at myself!
Yeah I totally sympathise. You basically have to ignore everything that seems to be a listening report.

ray_parkhurst

Hi...new to the forum, and I'm a strong supporter of finding the truth in pursuit of better sound. I've built my own preamps, amplifiers, speakers, and have done many modifications to equipment to improve sonics through better grounding, power supply response, noise and emi reduction, etc with good and measureable improvements. I have high hopes to learn some truths from the many discussions I see on this forum, and yet I already see some areas of concern. I'll be posting more regarding these, but for now just wanted to say hello in what appears to be a good forum for such intros.

Urubamba

My experience is not the best to encourage you here ... but I wish you luck!
With few exceptions, the "supreme brains" will leave you without an answer.....

When I started on the forum, I was drawn to the statement "have a good time and don't take it too seriously, have fun", but it seems very difficult for me to achieve, I'm not sure if it's because of race, religion, politics, or just prejudice. human pride.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

When I started on the forum, I was drawn to the statement "have a good time and don't take it too seriously, have fun", but it seems very difficult for me to achieve, I'm not sure if it's because of race, religion, politics, or just prejudice. human pride.
you didn't get an answer I think because there isn't an answer available. How are you defining 'Outperform'? What tests and data are available on the specific cartridges you were asking about? None? Without that how can anyone give you an answer?

There's lots of hi-fi forums where if you asked that question you'd get a number of responses from people who think they know. The answers would almost certainly conflict, and be worthless anyway since they won't be based on anything other than audiophile 'intuition'.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I'm not sure if it's because of race, religion, politics, or just prejudice.

The first three things on that list are explicitly discouraged in conversations on this forum, so I don't really know why you bring them up in the first place. Besides, this place is cram-full of nerds. You'll have a hard time finding a groupe of people who care less about those things. Seriously sounds like you're seeing ghosts.

Most likely people didn't respond because they knew an honest answer would be poking a hornets nest, or the question was simply too obscure.

Or both the question and the bump got drowned in forum activity.

In any case, don't take it personally. It's an important part of "have a good time and don't take it too seriously, have fun" ;)

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
but it seems very difficult for me to achieve, I'm not sure if it's because of race, religion, politics, or just prejudice. human pride.
It seems awfully common nowadays to blame the aforementioned reasons when people don't behave like you would like or have differing opinions.

Pro tip: it's probably not that, it's you.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

You do realize we have no idea about any of that as it applies to you? You asked a very obscure question that oddly enough turned out to be very obscure.

Urubamba

Thank you all, but I am not going to extend here, it would not be fun but boring. I just wanted to alert the new member.
Just two things:
I never leave a specific question addressed to me unanswered, I have been educated that way and it seems very good to me.
And "radio silence", in the many years that I have participated in many forums, should only be applied when dealing with someone pushy or a troll. In my case, I am none of the things.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, bye

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you all, but I am not going to extend here, it would not be fun but boring. I just wanted to alert the new member.
Just two things:
I never leave a specific question addressed to me unanswered, I have been educated that way and it seems very good to me.
And "radio silence", in the many years that I have participated in many forums, should only be applied when dealing with someone pushy or a troll. In my case, I am none of the things.
I have no idea what has transpired here.

There’s a pretty well-known cognitive bias that figures in internet discourse. We tend to view other peoples’ contributions as having more to do with us than they do; we exaggerate our own footprint in the whole of the medium.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just two things:
yes, I always get bored really fast by this sort of carrying-on.

chouca

Just two things:
Yes, it makes sense that you were disappointed when no one replied to your question. It's certainly not fun to feel ignored. I think it's safe to assume that no one knew the answer. Cheers.

Newman

Major Contributor
Just two things:
The fellow you asked a question to on May 17th has not been active since April 3rd. Be reasonable.

Also, the question you asked was very vague, paraphrased, “a Stanton 881s body with a modern replacement stylus will surely sound better than a new budget cartridge, yes?”.

That is the class of question that begs the answer, “who knows?”. Certainly that’s what crossed my mind when I saw it. One could even read it as rhetorical. Maybe, like me, others thought that they can’t give an answer that adds anything.

I encourage you to stay. Plenty to enjoy here, while learning from factual statements instead of unwarranted overopinionation.

cheers

Sam Spade

you didn't get an answer I think because there isn't an answer available. How are you defining 'Outperform'? What tests and data are available on the specific cartridges you were asking about? None? Without that how can anyone give you an answer?

There's lots of hi-fi forums where if you asked that question you'd get a number of responses from people who think they know. The answers would almost certainly conflict, and be worthless anyway since they won't be based on anything other than audiophile 'intuition'.

the answer is go digital of some sort. Phono sucks.

Urubamba

the answer is go digital of some sort. Phono sucks.
It "sucks" to you, because you probably haven't had the opportunity to listen to good, well-recorded vinyl on a good audio system. For me, battered, scratched or badly recorded vinyl "stinks", yes, but in the digital area we find stinky things too. Forget the current revival, befriend a vinyl veteran and ask him to play his favorite vinyl for you.
I bet you'll change your mind.

Top Bottom