• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The wait is over: Genelec 8381A point source main monitor has arrived

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What, compared to the Wilson monstrosities that sell to very wealthy high end clients?

I'd say these Genelecs are rather restrained myself and I seriously wish them all the very best in sales volumes to those lucky enough to afford, house and properly understand them in the pursuit of fantastic music reproduction.
They lack the sophisticated ugliness that high end speakers have.

dukanvadet

Forum Donor
Directivity looks fine to me for a main monitor:

8381a_horizontal_directivity.png

8381a_vertical_directivity.png
I think this graphs show more clearly a bit of widening directivity 600-1000hz. Dont know how much of a problem it is but it looks less than perfect
8381a_frequency_response.png

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess a speaker that can be place anywhere in just a courple of minutes, unlike the in-wall speakers
Soffit mounted speaker has not been used in studios for a long while irrespective of the studio size.

napfkuchen

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think this graphs show more clearly a bit of widening directivity 600-1000hz. Dont know how much of a problem it is but it looks less than perfect
It's a main monitor so yeah it's not going to be perfect. Like I said, they sacrifice perfection for maximum SPL output.

It's still miles better than, say, the 1236A. You're not going to buy the 8381A because you want the best measurements, you're going to buy it because you have a giant honking room.

1236A_horizontal_directivity.jpg

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Flush-Mounting will avoid problems with cancellations / reflections.
Why, there are still side walls, aren’t there? Besides, whatever the reason, they are not used, so that’s that. Free-standing speakers are the norm for a long while.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
8381A Amplifier
2 X Class D amplifiers.
Total amplifier power is 5926 W.
Does that mean Midrange and Twitter use passive crossover? I’m now intrigued on the way the midrange beam forming is accomplished.

napfkuchen

Why, there are still side walls, aren’t there? Besides, whatever the reason, they are not used, so that’s that. Free-standing speakers are the norm for a long while.

Of course, not all problems with a flush-mount-system will be solved, but at least that of the direct front wall reflections. SBIR is no longer such a big problem. Btw, do you always intentionally misunderstand people or does counting beans get you turned on somehow? And finally, free-standing speakers are the norm because they are cheap. You throw them into the room (literally meant of course) and done.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Of course, not all problems with a flush-mount-system will be solved, but at least that of the direct front wall reflections. SBIR is no longer such a big problem. Btw, do you always intentionally misunderstand people or does counting beans get you turned on somehow? And finally, free-standing speakers are the norm because they are cheap. You throw them into the room (literally meant of course) and done.
How can one misunderstand “emergency use” differently?

Besides, even though you keep giving reasons why they should, I keep saying, for whatever the reason, soffit speakers are not anymore used in studios. It’s a fact. Then you blame me for not understanding…

Last edited:

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Too cheap, 70,000 USD ? why not 700,000 ? i guess Genelec is only for rich people... not crazy rich

Im pretty sure there is plenty of studios that want to do the same task but paying 70,000
You have no idea how much the architectural solution for this problem would cost. It’s far more than $70k

recycle

I'm sure they sound very good. Now, I read somewhere weight and measures: these monitors are gigantic: you have to explain to me where I should put them. I'd spend 70k to get this same performance, but loudspeakers have to be the size of a shoebox

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a pro speaker. They follow their own pricing rules.
5x output of 83x1/w371 at 2.5x the cost.
I mean I don’t want to be negative. I see your point and agree.

But where is the tweeter and where is your ear? They are not even pointed down. So the listener is going to be 40 degrees off axis in the vertical plane with different spectra coming from different points in space. Obvious comb filtering will be present.

This is like your grandpas Oldsmobile. Big and silly for today’s tech. All this ATC PMC BBC it’s for grandpa.

Last edited:

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sure they sound very good. Now, I read somewhere weight and measures: these monitors are gigantic: you have to explain to me where I should put them. I'd spend 70k to get this same performance, but loudspeakers have to be the size of a shoebox
There's no replacement for displacement.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe it would be more helpful to continue the talk in the older and bigger thread which would be edited also in its title including the 8381a designation?

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
The speaker certainly doesn't look like any point source I've EVER seen. It's big, it has a matte finish and the price?
At that price you should have it all even with a pro speaker. At that price it should have less, "take it or leave it" options
and a lot more finish options. I have no idea what they have invested, I'll offer 10K and I'm being polite. Maybe there is
50-60K of power amps I'm not seeing. LOL

"GLM also includes the ground-breaking GRADE room report feature, which gives the user a complete analysis of their room and monitoring system performance, providing specific observations and advice on any acoustical issues, helping users and studio designers alike to fine tune the room’s acoustic treatment, adjust monitor and listener positions, and optimise bass management."

I find it interesting they have onboard diagnostics to reinforce the most important part of the whole process. "THE ROOM". I still have no doubt, people will pay 70K for a speaker that a 2K DIY speakers would sound better in a treated room. You cannot cheat the or A "SOUND MAN/WOMAN" when SPL is NOT the goal.
For one I would not pick a PS for super high SPL without a LINE of mids. If I wanted a compound cluster of drivers, Tekton would have been a lot better choice
at 2-5K and the finish looks better than anything Genelec has to offer with several options and maybe a grill. That leaves 65K for power and correction.

I have no idea where they stand on coupling, decoupling equipment. That monster could use a tractor tire inner tube for starters. No matter the design
without multi sub locations that single 15" forward fire will need a lot to correct the arrival time vs ONE recessed tweeter and mid domes in a cluster.
I'm seeing a 12" on the side? I would have thought that would have been the sub and the 15" a coupler? (80-200hz) something like that. That 15"
would be directional and image a center bass phantom if it were a stereo bass track at least.

If the cabinet was split, bass from mids/highs that would work for me at 5-10K. I'll provide the power, they provide the correction. To me it is obvious
there is a lot of signal manipulation going on through the entire chain. Reliability? That is dependant on the amplification and the components they used
20 years on class Ds is a long long time. OTOH I have transducers that are close to 70 years old with silk surrounds that will outlast my grandkids. Power
amps are close to the same age.

In other words will the speakers last and compete with speakers that are 40 years old in a room that is set up to begin with?
If louder is better, UGLY is KING, 20 years is enough, 70K is loose change, these are the guys to buy. :)

TK750

5x output of 83x1/w371 at 2.5x the cost.

I mean I don’t want to be negative. I see your point and agree.

But where is the tweeter and where is your ear? They are not even pointed down. So the listener is going to be 40 degrees off axis in the vertical plane with different spectra coming from different points in space. Obvious comb filtering will be present.

This is like your grandpas Oldsmobile. Big and silly for today’s tech.

Actually there are a few pictures showing tilt is adjustable

1684254993329.png

1684255008102.png

More pics/info here: https://www.genelec.com/8381a

Top Bottom