• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How loud do you like your music?

How loud do you like your music?

• Under 70dB

Votes: 65 20.5%
  • Around 75dB

Votes: 111 35.0%
  • Around 80dB

Votes: 78 24.6%
  • Around 85dB

Votes: 39 12.3%
  • Around 90dB

Votes: 15 4.7%
  • It has to be over 90dB to enjoy

Votes: 9 2.8%

• Total voters

Sokel

Master Contributor
I'm quite surprised so few people listen at SPLs as high as I do.
I have an itch to play loud now and I'm curious what will REW report.
Shall I give it a try?

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Bottom line is, I have no idea how many db my speaker system gives out, I know it's more than my walls can handle, and more than my neighbours can stand - when it's cranked. It's also very alive at reasonable volumes as well.
Same here, I can only go so loud before I would worry about damage upstairs. My wife's curio cabinets are full of vintage dishes and she has to put paper towels between the plates due to vibration. I live too far away from my neighbors to worry about bothering them.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I have an itch to play loud now and I'm curious what will REW report.
Shall I give it a try?
Ok,I did with the OP's song and weighting,that's as far as I can tolerate this song:

hey19.PNG

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
killdozzer

killdozzer

Major Contributor
I originally voted 95db, then found out I had to listen to steely dan, so have changed it to 5db
:)

You can recommend another song, but it has to be well produced, mastered, recorded and not heavy on bass. It also has to be something you have reason to believe aprox. 90% of members will own.

See? It boils down to Steely Dan. Every time.

Tim Link

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've just discovered that with a fullly horn loaded system I can enjoy a much wider range of volumes. At very low levels I feel like I can hear it very clearly still, much better than with a direct radiator setup at a similar volume. At higher volumes it holds together better so I can go there if I want to. I worry about my hearing so I don't like to push it really loud for too long although it gives some music the effect it needs.

D

Deleted member 58722

:)

You can recommend another song, but it has to be well produced, mastered, recorded and not heavy on bass. It also has to be something you have reason to believe aprox. 90% of members will own.

See? It boils down to Steely Dan. Every time.
Yeah, I have noticed a trend on hi fidelity sites, lots of easy listening stuff.

D

Deleted member 48726

Okay. I voted 80 dB which is when I sit down and zoom out and enjoy the music. When I feel like it I crank it to 86 dB with peaks of >110 dB obviously in the bass. This gives me short term tinnitus afterwards so I don't crank it very often.

The values are LAeq measured by app at listening pos. about 3 m. from speakers.

A thing I've come to notice is that it is much easier to listen to loud music after I got my Kappas and feed them plenty of power. Actually when I come to think of it, I don't recall I've had tinnitus after a listening session with my other setup with smaller speakers + sub.

Obviously I value my hearing and I know exactly the volume position I shouldn't exceed. But food for thought that with large speakers with plenty of power you're in the danger zone very fast without noticing.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've just discovered that with a fullly horn loaded system I can enjoy a much wider range of volumes. At very low levels I feel like I can hear it very clearly still, much better than with a direct radiator setup at a similar volume. At higher volumes it holds together better so I can go there if I want to. I worry about my hearing so I don't like to push it really loud for too long although it gives some music the effect it needs.
That has also been my experience with horns. My ears have never tolerated loud music for long, and that has just gotten worse as I age. There's a certain irony about using a horn system for it's low-level detail retrieval. Everyone always asks, "How loud does it go?"

OP
killdozzer

killdozzer

Major Contributor
That has also been my experience with horns. My ears have never tolerated loud music for long, and that has just gotten worse as I age. There's a certain irony about using a horn system for it's low-level detail retrieval. Everyone always asks, "How loud does it go?"
I never figured you to be a horn guy... What gives?

Top Bottom