• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How loud do you like your music?

How loud do you like your music?

• Under 70dB

Votes: 59 20.3%
  • Around 75dB

Votes: 104 35.9%
  • Around 80dB

Votes: 72 24.8%
  • Around 85dB

Votes: 35 12.1%
  • Around 90dB

Votes: 11 3.8%
  • It has to be over 90dB to enjoy

Votes: 9 3.1%

• Total voters

changer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can anybody recommend a cheap SPL meter? I calibrated my measurement mic for REW using the voltage method, but am still hesitant to trust it. There must be a working product on AliExpress, right?

changer

So now I remember I once was recommended this device. https://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/tasi_ta8151_e.html
It comes in A and A/C weighting versions. Is an A/C version enough or necessary to have Z level? Could I use the A weighted meter to calibrate my measurement mic with REW in A mode and then switch to other weightings?

Btw, with the Steely Dan song running at comfortable level according to Decibel X I listened at 55 dB average this noon. Pushing volumes I rarely listen to due to the neighbors I was crusing around 66 dB average (80 max/peaks). I felt like turning down the highs a bit, though, but did not mind to cofigure the DSP.

OP
killdozzer

killdozzer

Major Contributor
So now I remember I once was recommended this device. https://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/tasi_ta8151_e.html
It comes in A and A/C weighting versions. Is an A/C version enough or necessary to have Z level? Could I use the A weighted meter to calibrate my measurement mic with REW in A mode and then switch to other weightings?

Btw, with the Steely Dan song running at comfortable level according to Decibel X I listened at 55 dB average this noon. Pushing volumes I rarely listen to due to the neighbors I was crusing around 66 dB average (80 max/peaks). I felt like turning down the highs a bit, though, but did not mind to cofigure the DSP.
Thank you! What speakers do you have if I may ask?

Sokel

Master Contributor
Could I use the A weighted meter to calibrate my measurement mic with REW in A mode and then switch to other weightings?

Yes you can,REW will calculate the rest.
Peaks and Max are different in Decibel X and can have a 20db difference as long as your gear have the ability to reach high levels.
I tested that myself swapping the amps in my active installation,and even if the weaker amp is 300 watt (on paper) I didn't get the same peaks when I put it to drive lows.
I got about 6db LZpeak less even if the LAmax was the same.

changer

Thank you! What speakers do you have if I may ask?

Speaker _ to be precise, since I have not printed the custom waveguide this project is waiting for and it will not proceed without. Still an ugly monster and currently back to mono: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/neumann-kh150.33454/post-1174196

A constant directivity 2-way speaker, PHL Audio 3411 woofer crossed to a Celestion CDX1-1747 compression driver at 1.25 kHz LR4, waveguide being the Dayton clone of JBL PT-F95HF. Driven by a Hypex FA123 in BTL-Mode, assisted-vented 6th order with f3 of 43 Hz. Measuring with room EQ enabled which probably does not play too much of a role in A-weighting.

Last edited:

changer

Yes you can,REW will calculate the rest.
Peaks and Max are different in Decibel X and can have a 20db difference as long as your gear have the ability to reach high levels.
I tested that myself swapping the amps in my active installation,and even if the weaker amp is 300 watt (on paper) I didn't get the same peaks when I put it to drive lows.
I got about 6db LZpeak less even if the LAmax was the same.
Yes, I know I just could not remember what was 80 dB, peak or max and so I left both :facepalm:

There is also the option for an A/C weighted meter for 26 Euro (TA8152), while the TA8151 is only 15. But if I have you right it is already proper to get the A weighted and use it to calibrate REW and safe the bucks?

Sokel

Master Contributor
Yes, I know I just could not remember what was 80 dB, peak or max and so I left both :facepalm:

There is also the option for an A/C weighted meter for 26 Euro (TA8152), while the TA8151 is only 15. But if I have you right it is already proper to get the A weighted and use it to calibrate REW and safe the bucks?
I don't know these,I calibrated it against an Extech (I have a sweet spot for them,I also have an EX520 DMM),but any decent one will do.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Repeated the test with this song but with a little elevated level to reveal all it's glory.
It's scary that as it seems the quietest part is 60db away from the absolute peaks.

(and with that I got my daily dose and some more,so the rest of the day will be listening to really low levels)

Vltava.PNG

Vltava2.PNG

OP
killdozzer

killdozzer

Major Contributor
I love to see people adding to this thread to keep the poll going for as long as there's interest. I mean to bump it and make it visible to members who might've missed it.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I love to see people adding to this thread to keep the poll going for as long as there's interest. I mean to bump it and make it visible to members who might've missed it.
I think that this thread adds more that meets the eye.
Other than safety,joy,etc can show real power we need in real life listening for example,a subject that always raises debates.

If some friends with same speakers and different amps in terms of power test the same test,that can be revealing.
The same with the opposite,same amp,different speakers can show the (underestimated) compression.

Thanks to REW and tools like that we can now rely on numbers that make these debates easier.

Keep it going!

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was just reading through a collection of PWK's Dope From Hope publications and Paul had an opinion on this too.

Too Damn Loud.png

D

Deleted member 58722

• I'm interested in how loud you enjoy your music. For this purpose I propose A weighted, slow SPL measuring.
  • I'm also proposing a clean, well produced song that is not bass heavy to avoid subjective impressions of low frequencies (Hey Nineteen - Steely Dan).
  • Since music material varies in dB, I propose you start the SPL meter mid-song to avoid the gadget taking the silence before the song into account.
  • You can put dips and peaks into the comment. In the poll, you should enter average SPL. This is one more reason why I propose a song - to avoid having additional variations due to different material.
  • Sources, mastering, edition etc. shouldn't play a major role here. You should just turn it up the way you like it and then measure.
  • The question is about enjoying loud music, not how much you can put up with for a short period of time. It is about SPL you'd enjoy for at least the length of an album.
  • Not all smartphones are reliable, but some are. If you could just enter whether you took measures with a phone, that would be fine.
  • This is about the amount of loudness you like, so imagine you live on a prairie with no neighbors. It's about what you enjoy, not what is allowed.
  • Feel free to add numbers for movies and TV in the comments.

One other thing I almost forgot. It has to be at your listening position. If you're further away from the speakers, you'll need to go louder in order to get what you like at your sitting place, but I'm interested in what reaches you, what you actually hear.

**What motivated me; I've seen people throwing around numbers like 90-96dB and even higher, yet, nearing 80dB average is simply too much for me. I wanted to see the real-world numbers.
I originally voted 95db, then found out I had to listen to steely dan, so have changed it to 5db

D

Deleted member 58722

Mer too. I do listen to different albums at different volumes, but I do like to pump it up to 'live' levels on many.

D

Deleted member 58722

I understand that, but I've always lived now pay later........ On average I think you get more fun out of life that way.. ps. I'm just over 70 now, and my hearing is, as last measured, better than average for my age. I still mix live, and have no complaints from artists.

steve59

Major Contributor
I would listen at volumes ranging from 94 db to peaks of 104 db, but recently upgraded to amps with more headroom and find i'm getting the same dynamic, live feel at volumes in the mid 80's. Quite surprising to me that available power would make such a large difference at low volumes.

D

Deleted member 58722

Bottom line is, I have no idea how many db my speaker system gives out, I know it's more than my walls can handle, and more than my neighbours can stand - when it's cranked. It's also very alive at reasonable volumes as well.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Bottom line is, I have no idea how many db my speaker system gives out, I know it's more than my walls can handle, and more than my neighbours can stand - when it's cranked. It's also very alive at reasonable volumes as well.
I'm listning typically at 80 to 85.

I don't generally go louder since some frequences (esp female vocals) at higher volume "resonate" with my tinitus (Is how I describe it) causing in ear distortion.

Top Bottom