• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX1 mini desktop DAC & AMP

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Quick question: the provided cable seems to be USB type-A.
What if I wanted to connect it to an Android phone that's USB type-C ?
Would it work with merely an adapter ? :)

VYOPBC-LED-USB-3-0-To-Type-C-Adapter-OTG-To-USB-C-USB-A-To.jpg

staticV3

Master Contributor
Only if A: your phone can supply enough current via its USB port
and B: Topping correctly implemented the Type-C jack so that no OTG adapter is required.

Some Type-C accessories are missing some pull-up/pull-down resistors in their USB jack, and the result is that you have to use an OTG adapter for your phone to recognize the device. Something like this:
51SS3yDht9L._AC_SY450_ (1).jpg
(not sure if the adapter that you posted is OTG)

Jose Hidalgo

About A: on page 16 of this thread, G1zm0 tested it already with a Pixel 6 and it works. So I assume that most modern phones can supply enough current. In my case it would be a Redmi Note 9 pro with a 5000 mAh battery.
About B : I have no idea, that's a question for a Topping rep. BTW @G1zm0 , did you need an OTG adapter, or just a regular USB-C cable? Thanks.
I haven't bought the adapter yet, so I can make sure that it's OTG... but only if that's a requirement.

Jose Hidalgo

MrNice13

Hi everybody. I wonder if this little beast could be used directly with a smartphone. It would be less portable than a Topping G5, but also three times less expensive :D
Granted it would also drain the smartphone faster since it doesn't have its own battery, but it shouldn't be a big problem if the smartphone has a big battery. If you know a better solution for 99 €/$, just let me know. :p

The intended use here wouldn't be "walking / inside a pocket" like the G5. It would rather be "sunbathing on a garden / terrace". So just relaxing in a deckchair, with the smartphone and the DX1 sitting close on a coffee table. Would that work? Would the DX1 be recognized by the smartphone (possibly a Redmi Note 9 Pro), with no need for drivers and such?

Bonus question : which Android EQ app would be best for applying some Oratory presets to the few headphones we have? It would have to work with Spotify, since all the music will come from there.

Thanks!
UAPP if you streaming tidal or Qobuz

MrNice13

Quick question: the provided cable seems to be USB type-A.

View attachment 286100
And what if you use that for connecting the dx1...it's just an adapter you can the. connect the dx1 to the phone it's just a data transfer

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Wavelet and Poweramp EQ are your only options afaik.
Wavelet is easy to use as you can load all AutoEQ presets with a single tap.
Disadvantage is that AutoEQ uses a different target with less bass (Not stock Harman) and the filter parameters are computer generated.

Poweramp EQ on the other hand gives you the option to apply the preset from oratory's PDFs one to one, but it's a bit tedious to enter everything by hand.
Handily, Crinacle.com comparison tool will allow you to input your PEQ filters (doesnt matter which HP/ IEM model you apply it to on the site) then you can export it as GEQ for Wavelet and then import that into the autoeq function on wavelet (handy if you have a Google Drive linked to your phone and laptop so you can export to drive and import on Wavelet directly from the same Drive folder.

Now if only they would add crossfeed to Wavelet I could almost live without UAPP (and not be tied to Tidal/ Qobuz)

MrNice13

Handily, Crinacle.com comparison tool will allow you to input your PEQ filters (doesnt matter which HP/ IEM model you apply it to on the site) then you can export it as GEQ for Wavelet and then import that into the autoeq function on wavelet (handy if you have a Google Drive linked to your phone and laptop so you can export to drive and import on Wavelet directly from the same Drive folder.

Now if only they would add crossfeed to Wavelet I could almost live without UAPP (and not be tied to Tidal/ Qobuz)
Btw @Jimbob54 I wanna use the cross feed feature for enjoying old record more but I don't understand how it work with the dB and the freq could u make a little world-class in thy regard :)?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Btw @Jimbob54 I wanna use the cross feed feature for enjoying old record more but I don't understand how it work with tv dB and the freq could u make a little world-class in thy regard :)?
On UAPP? Try 9.5dB, 650Hz. I think that approximates the Jan Meier type filter. I suspect @staticV3 or @maverickronin might be able to tell me how wrong I am there

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What a wonderful little DAC/headphone amp. I was using a Schiit Vali 2 running out of my DAC on my desktop through Roon, but got tired having to remember to switch DSP modes every time I switched from speakers to headphones, and also found it was a bit closed in sounding (I suspect it was purposefully designed to sound this wey). Now I can just switch zones and away I go. My one potential concern with the DX1 was how it would power my Sennheiser HD 58X headphones. The answer is great. In low gain mode, with volume leveling enabled in Roon, I am right int he middle of the volume knob, so no issues with left/right tracking of volume.

Last edited:
Top Bottom