• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for passive compact desktop speakers | Dayton Audio vs. Neumi vs. SVS (?)

ThomDJ

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some very compact desktop speakers, and I would very much appreciate some experiences / insights / advice.

My budget is up to 250 EUR / pair. So far I've been looking at:
  • SVS Prime Satellite: 241 EUR / pair
  • Neumi Silk 4: 183 EUR / pair (based on this review)
  • Dayton Audio MK402X: 120 EUR / pair (based on this review)
Max size: 24 cm x 15 cm x 24 cm / 9,5" x 6" x 9,5" (ish)

I have a Fosi Audio V3 and Topping DX1 to accompany them.

Would it be worth it to pay a little extra for the SVS speakers? Do you have any other recommendations?

staticV3

Master Contributor
OP
T

ThomDJ

Thanks! This review is about the Prime Bookshelf speakers, I was considering the Prime Satellites. This will probably rule in favor of the Neumi's even more, though. I was afraid of this. I really can't quite get over how those Neumi's look, so I might need to keep looking based on aesthetics alone. Also now considering the Polk Elite ES10, seeing how the ES20's in my living room appeal to me. Hadn't considered this option until now.

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I used the Prime Satellites for surrounds for about a year or so. They were way too hot for my (admittedly untrained) ears.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some very compact desktop speakers, and I would very much appreciate some experiences / insights / advice.

My budget is up to 250 EUR / pair. So far I've been looking at:
  • SVS Prime Satellite: 241 EUR / pair
  • Neumi Silk 4: 183 EUR / pair (based on this review)
  • Dayton Audio MK402X: 120 EUR / pair (based on this review)
Max size: 24 cm x 15 cm x 24 cm / 9,5" x 6" x 9,5" (ish)

I have a Fosi Audio V3 and Topping DX1 to accompany them.

Would it be worth it to pay a little extra for the SVS speakers? Do you have any other recommendations?
If you look around on the used market, or at dealers who deal with remaining stock, you will find a large number of very high quality speakers in this price range.
There are also a few good speakers with aluminum housings that are very good and small, e.g. Heco, T+A, JBL, etc.

A few months ago I found a pair of new T+A Lignum LGR10s at a remaining stock dealer for €250. You usually have to spend more for the sound and for the size they are just wow.

If you have DIY skills, buy cheap good active monitors with defective power amplifiers, where only one has an amplifier and powers the second. Both speakers have crossovers and you only need to remove the defective power amplifier.

Top Bottom