• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX1 mini desktop DAC & AMP

G1zm0

I couldn't really tell any difference using my 400SE and 4XX.
Did you tried this exact song? 00:30 - 00:40. because I myself wasn't able to tell outputs apart, until this specific song and part.

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi everybody. I wonder if this little beast could be used directly with a smartphone. It would be less portable than a Topping G5, but also three times less expensive :D
Granted it would also drain the smartphone faster since it doesn't have its own battery, but it shouldn't be a big problem if the smartphone has a big battery. If you know a better solution for 99 €/$, just let me know. :p

The intended use here wouldn't be "walking / inside a pocket" like the G5. It would rather be "sunbathing on a garden / terrace". So just relaxing in a deckchair, with the smartphone and the DX1 sitting close on a coffee table. Would that work? Would the DX1 be recognized by the smartphone (possibly a Redmi Note 9 Pro), with no need for drivers and such?

Bonus question : which Android EQ app would be best for applying some Oratory presets to the few headphones we have? It would have to work with Spotify, since all the music will come from there.

Thanks!

G1zm0

Hi everybody. I wonder if this little beast could be used directly with a smartphone. It would be less portable than a Topping G5, but also three times less expensive :D
Granted it would also drain the smartphone faster since it doesn't have its own battery, but it shouldn't be a big problem if the smartphone has a big battery. If you know a better solution for 99 €/$, just let me know. :p

The intended use here wouldn't be "walking / inside a pocket" like the G5. It would rather be "sunbathing on a garden / terrace". So just relaxing in a deckchair, with the smartphone and the DX1 sitting close on a coffee table. Would that work? Would the DX1 be recognized by the smartphone (possibly a Redmi Note 9 Pro), with no need for drivers and such?

Bonus question : which Android EQ app would be best for applying some Oratory presets to the few headphones we have? It would have to work with Spotify, since all the music will come from there.

Thanks!
Yes it works with a smartphone, I tested it with pixel 6. Not sure about iphone tho.

As for EQ, try wavelet

CedarX

Forum Donor
Yes it works with a smartphone, I tested it with pixel 6. Not sure about iphone tho.

As for EQ, try wavelet
Stating the obvious: unlike the G5, the DX1 has no battery, and would be powered by the smartphone. May or may not be an issue depending on the smartphone and the intended use scenario.

Jose Hidalgo

Stating the obvious: unlike the G5, the DX1 has no battery, and would be powered by the smartphone. May or may not be an issue depending on the smartphone and the intended use scenario.
Please read my message again, carefully this time. Line 2 for the battery, line 4 for the scenario. :p

staticV3

Master Contributor
Wavelet and Poweramp EQ are your only options afaik.
Wavelet is easy to use as you can load all AutoEQ presets with a single tap.
Disadvantage is that AutoEQ uses a different target with less bass (Not stock Harman) and the filter parameters are computer generated.

Poweramp EQ on the other hand gives you the option to apply the preset from oratory's PDFs one to one, but it's a bit tedious to enter everything by hand.

G1zm0

Wavelet and Poweramp EQ are your only options afaik.
Wavelet is easy to use as you can load all AutoEQ presets with a single tap.
Disadvantage is that AutoEQ uses a different target with less bass (Not stock Harman) and the filter parameters are computer generated.

Poweramp EQ on the other hand gives you the option to apply the preset from oratory's PDFs one to one, but it's a bit tedious to enter everything by hand.
And also as I understand it poweramp EQ wouldn't work for spotify, right?

Jose Hidalgo

Then I'll use Poweramp EQ :) I don't mind entering presets by hand. In our case it's only 4 Harman presets, plus eventually 4 Optimum HiFi presets.
And it's once and for all: we don't intend to change our headphone collection anytime soon, unless something exceptional comes up. Thanks @staticV3 ! :D

Gigachad

Definitely not what happened.
Screenshot 2023-05-10 233210.png

Dunno it's cool, I'll take the advice and remeasure and edit it anway.

Gigachad

That's standard procedure for any new member's first threads and has nothing to do with the specific contents of said thread.
Ok, well I was just surprised because someone had liked it already, so I assumed it was public and then retracted. The iBasso thread I had published before that one also and that is public.

Gigachad

I can recommend the Direct DSD mode with HQPlayer feeding the DAC. It's entirely subjective and unscientific, but it improves the sound, emotionality, depth and microresolution a lot for me. Might just be placebo, but hey, why not enjoy placebo if it improves the music listening?

Top Bottom