• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Eversolo DMP-A6 Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 25 4.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 145 27.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 346 66.2%

• Total voters

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"Controlling this" remotely is exactly what I do: either using the (Hiby Music) App on my phone (acts as DAP remote control/screen mirroring), or through AirPlay (DAP as Airplay receiver connected to my home WiFi or tethered to my iPhone hotspot), or through UPnP: LMS home server+UPnP plugin acting as DNLA/UPnP server; DAP acting as UPnP renderer; (any) iPhone+iPeng, PC+LMS Material Skin WebUI, Android phone, etc. acting as LMS "controller" (other UPnP controllers should work, but I haven't tried).

I believe the DMP-A6 offers all the above options... and many more, including Roon-ready, direct connection to multiple online streaming services. All in a better, more robust package than using a cheap DAP. I would not recommend using a DAP as a streamer... but conceptually, the DMP-A6 is really not that different!

A few words about "Controlling this": I can control the player (the DAP) directly with the remote App. However, in the other use cases, AirPlay, UPnP, I control what is sent to the player, but not the player itself. And this is where it all falls apart IMO: using a streamer should be a straightforward experience... but the architecture is complex. It tends to be unstable and unreliable. When something does not work, it is difficult to diagnose: is it my WiFi? My DNLA/UPnP server? My server Plugin(s)? My online streaming service? My UPnP renderer? My control App?
To me that's the big unknown with the DMP-A6: the HW looks great and the SW stack looks flexible and open-enough... but how robust and stable will the DMP-A6 be as a real-life streamer?
if its anything like its big brother the neo s & x, its very robust and stable. Dont get me wrong, the software platform is still a work in progress but they have come a long, long way.

JRS

Major Contributor
Love the facilities on this device. And yes a remote would have been an excellent addition.
It is criminal to not include one with any unit having a preamp function. Once upon a time maybe, back in the days when we used to get up to change records. Now it's almost as ridiculous as selling a TV would be without.

I submit exhibit A, the new Audio Research integrated amp:
1682727597840.png

A full-function metal remote control provides further functionality and operation. An optional tube cage will be available.

JRS

Major Contributor
Mac Mini M2 is only $499. Can your Raspberry PI compete with it?
Whats up with that? Apple cutting prices on new hardware--it's just enough to consider the plunge. Primary duties will be convolving with the BACCH software filters who insist on MAC, but I strongly suspect it can walk and chew gum at the same time (doing all the DSP and streaming).

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
What's worse than fake VU meters? Fake ones that look like this. The graduations are wrong, the line/s, angles and placement are just amateurish. In the meantime EverSolo- go buy a few old Japanese cassette decks and see what a proper analogue VU meter looks like.

index.php

This product is one that cries out for a functionality and usability review in addition to the performance metrics already done. In other words, how good is it to actually use. What are the quirks etc? I'd volunteer but I'm on the other side of the world.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This product is one that cries out for a functionality and usability review in addition to the performance metrics already done. In other words, how good is it to actually use. What are the quirks etc?
I tested it exactly how I would use it and commented on its usability. With it is large touch panel LCD, it is very easy to use if it is near you. No current DAC for example can compete with it since they lack such an interface. I found no quirks in its usability or I would have commented on it.

For people who want to use it as a pull streamer, no I did not cover that aspect because I consider that the wrong approach to streaming.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Apple doesn't do LDAC, and I'm never switching back to Android.
I was responding to @Labjr who lamented the lack of a lossless BT codec. LDAC isn't lossless but damn close.

Last edited:

PeteL

Major Contributor
I tested it exactly how I would use it and commented on its usability. With it is large touch panel LCD, it is very easy to use if it is near you. No current DAC for example can compete with it since they lack such an interface. I found no quirks in its usability or I would have commented on it.

For people who want to use it as a pull streamer, no I did not cover that aspect because I consider that the wrong approach to streaming.
What does a pull streamer means? Sorry for my ignorance I am not familiar with the term.

Hipster Doofus

Forum Donor
Sigh …if only I needed a streamer, but I use a computer and a dac. I often find myself wanting Roon also but do not want all the added learning curve. I wish I could be convinced that the equalizer would help me, but I am so lazy I do not want to first learn how to use my RTA and then interpret it, And then do the EQ. So I use Audyssey 32 and hope for the best. REMEMBER THE GOAL HERE IS…IF WE CAN HAVE A SELF DRIVING CAR WE CAN CERTAINTY HAVE A SELF EQUALIZER STEREO…maybe all this A. I. stuff will help..

ThatGuyYouKnow

Hi Amir. I might have missed it, but do you know if audio sent from other source devices to the USB and SPDIF inputs can be output over the coax digital? Or is that output strictly for the DAP portion of the device?

laudio

I don't know what a pull streamer is either or why it's not the right way to do things. The device pictures are pretty but are not real meters, was doing that with a SB touch 10 years ago or with other open source solutions. The DAC measurements are good - but so are sub $200 DACs these days. It looks like a decent device, but at $850 no... it's not a golfing panther and in a few years time will most likely be obsolete :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What does a pull streamer means? Sorry for my ignorance I am not familiar with the term.
I kind of explained it in the review. A device playing Tidal locally is pulling the stream from Tidal servers. In contrast, Roon pushes the bits to the steamer to output to the DAC.

In pull streaming, you have to use the user interface of the streamer. And rely on it working for a long time in the future (i.e. constant software updates to keep it current).

In push streaming, the device is just a bridge from network to the DAC. It has no UI to worry about and the protocol is much less likely to change. The interface now is in the computer pushing the bits to it. In my case, Roon is the player pushing the bits. As long as they don't break compatibility with their streaming protocol, this streamer will work forever, not ever needing an update in its software. Meanwhile the functionality of Roon can increase and the streamer inherits all of this.

Push vs Pull are common terminology in network streaming indicating who is in charge. In pull streaming, which is how most of the streaming on the web works, the client is in charge. It tells the server what to play and keeps tabs on its buffering, etc. to navigate latencies.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I don't know what a pull streamer is either or why it's not the right way to do things. The device pictures are pretty but are not real meters, was doing that with a SB touch 10 years ago or with other open source solutions. The DAC measurements are good - but so are sub $200 DACs these days. It looks like a decent device, but at $850 no... it's not a golfing panther and in a few years time will most likely be obsolete :)
I explained why you need to know the difference. You have to decide whose hands you put your future in. I put mine in Roon being around and continue to get new functionality. This means push streaming. There, you get incredible features such as EQ, DSP, etc. which is all implemented in Roon without the need to saddle the streamer with that functionality.

In contrast, if you use pull streaming then the streamer is where your future lies. Should the company go out of business and any of the services change their protocol, you are indeed out of luck.

Hopefully now you see why I prefer the push model. It is a much more stable strategy with tons more capability. If I were up to me, I would make all streamers push mode and put the services at the other end on a more capable computer or tablet.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The device pictures are pretty but are not real meters
Why do you need "real" meters? We had meters to keep tape recorders from saturating during recording. No such need is there today with streamers. The other function of meters was to give you something to look at. And this streamer gives you the best example of it. It has a very high contrast display with the most gorgeous simulations I have seen. It has half a dozen meters so you can pick on. The main information you need out of the meter is that when it is not moving, there is no content going to it (this is useful for troubleshooting).

JktHifi

Why do you need "real" meters? We had meters to keep tape recorders from saturating during recording. No such need is there today with streamers. The other function of meters was to give you something to look at. And this streamer gives you the best example of it. It has a very high contrast display with the most gorgeous simulations I have seen. It has half a dozen meters so you can pick on. The main information you need out of the meter is that when it is not moving, there is no content going to it (this is useful for troubleshooting).
He probably like to wipe or touch the needle of real VU meter.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Why do you need "real" meters?

Because fake representations on an LCD screen of a 3 dimensional analogue moving coil meter, especially one as badly done as the picture you showed, just look beyond cheap and tacky. Not one of these skeuomorph meters on modern gear I've seen is remotely useful. The ballistics are all over the place and the inconsistent latency is so bad as to make them useless. What is the actual response of the onboard meter in terms of overshoot, undershoot, accuracy and frequency/transient response? Hopefully 0dB is 0dBFS or is it? If so, what is the point of any markings above 0dB? Decent meters with peak response drivers will easily do 50-20kHz with quite good accuracy and respond to <0.5mS impulses and give sensible numbers.

But I get it, quality large movement analogue moving coil meters are not made much anymore and what are made, have become very expensive. However, I wouldn't be seen dead with those 'meters' on display on my gear. :)

A real power output meter on a vintage Denon POA-8000 monoblock (internet pic)

1682756137927.png

Notice how the markings line up with the angle of the needle at all points? Notice the sensible markings intervals?

PeteL

Major Contributor
I kind of explained it in the review. A device playing Tidal locally is pulling the stream from Tidal servers. In contrast, Roon pushes the bits to the steamer to output to the DAC.

In pull streaming, you have to use the user interface of the streamer. And rely on it working for a long time in the future (i.e. constant software updates to keep it current).

In push streaming, the device is just a bridge from network to the DAC. It has no UI to worry about and the protocol is much less likely to change. The interface now is in the computer pushing the bits to it. In my case, Roon is the player pushing the bits. As long as they don't break compatibility with their streaming protocol, this streamer will work forever, not ever needing an update in its software. Meanwhile the functionality of Roon can increase and the streamer inherits all of this.

Push vs Pull are common terminology in network streaming indicating who is in charge. In pull streaming, which is how most of the streaming on the web works, the client is in charge. It tells the server what to play and keeps tabs on its buffering, etc. to navigate latencies.
OK, well in both cases you need constant software updates to keep it working, I agree that you need to have trust in who's in charge of that. But in the end a "streamer" that would only support the push method you describe is not a streamer at all, it's an endpoint. I am not sure if such a thing exist, but it would be a bit strange in my opinion, it is saying, that device you just bought, well it doesn't work at all and is incomplete. I as a manufacturer am merely selling you an accessory to complement the player you own.

Honestly I find the push approach much much riskier, because if the same development team are working on both the software and the firmware part, they have control and can have insurance that they will work together. But if your firmware have to adapt to what everybody and his mother is doing out in the wild, you're in the dark and these player apps don't have to care about you, your firmware have to follow, may do it with a delay and it may any day become technologically impossible and your unit is good for the disposal.

Last edited:

Oldasdrt

Thanks for the great review and explanation
Meters aside, looks like a great device :)
I am really considering Roon on my system

Top Bottom