• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Allo Boss2 Review (Stereo Streamer)

Music1969

Major Contributor
You'd think though that if they haven't completely folded, they'd at least be able to update their webpage to say what is going on.
They should be maybe they are working on alternate SBC products

A bit risky - RPi is so well supported (other than stock issues atm)

DilbertPugh

The global aftershock from Covid has been brutal for so many companies especially those who were not large enough to ride the Tsunami or clever (sly) enough to profit from it.

So let's not write off ALLO too quickly, I've just received a notification from Audiophonics that the Digione Signature is back in stock!

If you look on the Audiophonics website you'll see many ALLO products available to buy: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/179_allo

The ALLO/Pi streamers are brilliant; just enough Crysal Radio/Meccano set fun to make you feel like you're 10 again but actually not remotely hard to build or run.

In the years BC (before covid) I added a Digione Signature spidif board to a USBridge Signature and the delivery from Ropiee via Roon is rock solid and indistinguishable from an SOTM SMS-200 Ultra selling for four times the price. I'd picked that up quite cheap after a certain deluded Dutch Guru (do you know who I mean) had led me believe in fairies; thank goodness Amir and ASR brought me to my senses.

Anyway, I've been keen to get another Digione HAT for a different room and it would be great to support ALLO as well, they pioneered high quality cost effective audio while the hifi industry was encouraging us to press our noses against the Chord & DCS sweet shop windows.

I'd also like to know what has become of Johan, their brilliant designer, his contribution on ASR was always a pleasure to read.
I hope he's still able to work on projects for ALLO.

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If you have an Allo Boss2 you have streamer/DAC combo that that is more than adequate for human ears. If it's working keep it. However I do feel that Allo are trading on a premise that is no longer true (if were ever true), the superior performance of their devices. An SBC in conjunction with a current USB DAC, RME, Topping, SMLS etc will have superior measured performance and sound the same as the Allo.

In addition, using an external USB DAC is just more flexible; balanced/unbalance, voltage levels, do I need a built in HPA, physical volume control etc.

tjcinnamon

I have a Denon X4700, is it possible to plug the RCA outs of this into the Denon and have the Denon go to my Amp?

I don’t want to have to add Y cables to have my AVR and Allo Boss2 to feed the amp a signal.

Second question: can this run Volumio and is it possible to put the volumio UI on the TV screen with this box?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I have a Denon X4700, is it possible to plug the RCA outs of this into the Denon and have the Denon go to my Amp?

I don’t want to have to add Y cables to have my AVR and Allo Boss2 to feed the amp a signal.

Second question: can this run Volumio and is it possible to put the volumio UI on the TV screen with this box?
It is technically possible. Just you won’t gain anything in terms of sound quality.

tjcinnamon

It is technically possible. Just you won’t gain anything in terms of sound quality.
Yeah, that’s okay, it’s just less wires going to my amp?

When having an AVR and wanting to use a DAC/streamer like this, what are the set up options outside of plugging it into the AVR?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Yeah, that’s okay, it’s just less wires going to my amp?

When having an AVR and wanting to use a DAC/streamer like this, what are the set up options outside of plugging it into the AVR?
Not sure I understand the question. You can either hook up a Streamer DAC to an AVR via RCA or via a digital connection eg Toslink. But again don’t expect any improvements, just use the AVR DAC / Streamer.

Or alternatively without using an AVR you can hook up a DAC to either a power amp or to active speakers. However you loose the RoomEQ from the AVR and would need a separate box eg MiniDSP or do the RoomEQ via software eg Camilla DSP etc.

tjcinnamon

Not sure I understand the question. You can either hook up a Streamer DAC to an AVR via RCA or via a digital connection eg Toslink. But again don’t expect any improvements, just use the AVR DAC / Streamer.

Or alternatively without using an AVR you can hook up a DAC to either a power amp or to active speakers. However you loose the RoomEQ from the AVR and would need a separate box eg MiniDSP or do the RoomEQ via software eg Camilla DSP etc.
This one doesn’t appear to have a digital out so my only option is to run it with the RCA. I am considering it to unpack MQA to run HEOS through it (HEOS doesn’t handle MQA).

Too bad Audyssey tops out at 24/48. I’d love to run that at higher res. I’m a sucker for Dynamic EQ.

I may experiment with running on pure direct and have CamillaDSP off the RPi OS (probably Volumio) flatten it.

Also, thank you! This was helpful!

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
This one doesn’t appear to have a digital out so my only option is to run it with the RCA. I am considering it to unpack MQA to run HEOS through it (HEOS doesn’t handle MQA).

Too bad Audyssey tops out at 24/48. I’d love to run that at higher res. I’m a sucker for Dynamic EQ.

I may experiment with running on pure direct and have CamillaDSP off the RPi OS (probably Volumio) flatten it.

Also, thank you! This was helpful!
Sure.

If interested. Look what the forum has to say about MQA.

You won’t hear a difference between 48/24 and eg 96/24 etc. Foobar has an ABX plug-in for everyone to test. Make sure you catch the same master though.

I ran Moode with Camilla in my office before I got the KH80s. Works. I use the AVR in my main system. Works great too.

tjcinnamon

Sure.
If interested. Look what the forum has to say about MQA.

You won’t hear a difference between 48/24 and eg 96/24 etc. Foobar has an ABX plug-in for everyone to test. Make sure you catch the same master though.

I ran Moode with Camilla in my office before I got the KH80s. Works. I use the AVR in my main system. Works great too.
Welp, these are out of stock as is! Dang!

I’ll roll HEOS for a bit and see how that sounds. Seems like that can do 24/48 on Tidal and then still use Audyssey.

I’ll still probably get one of these (4GB) when they are back in stock just for hobbiest purposes.

@johan: any idea when they will be back in stock?

tjcinnamon

He hasn't been online in 12 months

Been discussed above
Any recommendations on a comparable product? Doesn’t need to have a DAC (although I wouldn’t mind one). Volumio Primo and Rivo seem expensive

Music1969

Major Contributor
Any recommendations on a comparable product? Doesn’t need to have a DAC (although I wouldn’t mind one). Volumio Primo and Rivo seem expensive
So many options but depends what you need exactly?

How do you listen? What software? What audio protocols do you need ?

tjcinnamon

So many options but depends what you need exactly?

How do you listen? What software? What audio protocols do you need ?

I’m interested in Volumio or something that looks nice on the TV screen; I want to run pure direct in my AVR and play Tidal. I’d like to EQ at the source because Audyssey limits the bitrate is limited at 24/48 but still want to EQ.

I’d like something that looks nice as well. Reasonably cost (under $500ish). A DAC is not required but I wouldn’t mind having it but would likely run it through my AVR because it has a DAC.

tjcinnamon

I did email them before I saw the non response.

Dear [redacted]

This is regarding the message you sent to allo.com

Due to shortage of components, Boss2 production is suspended.
We will inform you when it is available again.

Kind regards,
[redacted]”

mash

Have any of you guys been using Moode with your Boss2 players, running them as Roon endpoints and tried to update to the new 8.3.X OS version?

mash

Have any of you guys been using Moode with your Boss2 players, running them as Roon endpoints and tried to update to the new 8.3.X OS version?

Ok, after digging into this a bit more and finding a work around, the news isn't great. Basically, the Boss2 does not work with the current version of Moode 8.3.2. It stopped working at version 8.3.1 due to issues with the custom Linux driver that Allo provides. The Moode author had this to say in their support forum..."I suspect this is due to some sort of incompatibility between the custom Allo driver for the Boss 2 and the new 6.1.y Linux kernel branch". Apparently, this issue also might impact later versions of DietPi and there are also different issues with using the Boss2 and latest versions of Ropieee and/or RopieeeXL.

In the end, I was able to back track and install/use version 8.3.0 without issue, so there is a work around...for now...but if Allo doesn't come back on-line and/or start supporting their devices/software I could be looking at a nice blue retro gadget paper weight. That would be a shame, because its a really nice low cost roon endpoint that combines the streamer/dac in one box.

Last edited:

Fahzz

Forum Donor
Ok, after digging into this a bit more and finding a work around the news isn't great. Basically, the Boss2 does not work with the current version of Moode 8.3.2. It stopped working at version 8.3.1 due to issue with the custom Linux driver that Allo provides. The Moode author had this to say in their support forum..."I suspect this is due to some sort of incompatibility between the custom Allo driver for the Boss 2 and the new 6.1.y Linux kernel branch". Apparently, this issue also might impact later versions of DietPi and there are also other issues with using the Boss2 and latest issue of Ropieee and the Boss2.

In the end, I was able to back track and install/use version 8.3.0 without issue, so there is a work around...for now...but if Allo doesn't come back on-line and/or start supporting their devices/software I could be looking at a nice blue retro gadget paper weight. That would be a shame, because its a really nice low cost roon endpoint that combines the streamer/dac in one box.
I had the same issue with mine, but I use Max2Play with LMS/Squeezebox. I thought it was a hardware issue, but (long story) I ruled that out. I concluded that it's some compatibility issue with a software/firmware update too. Too bad. It looks like Allo might be back in action so fingers crossed.

Barrelhouse Solly

Ok, after digging into this a bit more and finding a work around, the news isn't great. Basically, the Boss2 does not work with the current version of Moode 8.3.2. It stopped working at version 8.3.1 due to issues with the custom Linux driver that Allo provides. The Moode author had this to say in their support forum..."I suspect this is due to some sort of incompatibility between the custom Allo driver for the Boss 2 and the new 6.1.y Linux kernel branch". Apparently, this issue also might impact later versions of DietPi and there are also different issues with using the Boss2 and latest versions of Ropieee and/or RopieeeXL.

I ran into this when I upgraded my moode installation to 8.3.1. I really like the Boss 2. It actually is audibly different from most Pi audio hats. I'm hoping that Allo will recover although I notice that their forum has very few company responses to support questions for the last several months. I downgraded my Moode installation to v8.30 for now. For me the new features and bug fixes in 8.3.1 and 8.3.2 aren't compelling reasons to upgrade. I know that some future version will make me want to.

Top Bottom