• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dune 2021

symphara

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Will that work on a downmix?
Sorry, no, I just tried it. The "Dialog Enhancer" option is still there if I downmix to stereo but it doesn't seem to be doing anything or it was too subtle for me.

If the center speaker is used, the effect is not subtle, it actually enhances the dialogue. We use it a lot.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry, no, I just tried it. The "Dialog Enhancer" option is still there if I downmix to stereo but it doesn't seem to be doing anything or it was too subtle for me.
I though that it won't work in downmix. Thank you for confirming.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
possibly the reason is the stereo down mix, you hear the centre track mixed with the music & effects Instead of coming from a separate speaker.
Some voices were just too low in volume. Otherwise the phantom center of my speakers (K&H O300D) is very precise.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Some voices were just too low in volume. Otherwise the phantom center of my speakers (K&H O300D) is very precise.
The issue is the level on both L&R when the centre channel was mixed into the mix-down. You do not have control on that, do you?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No, not to my knowledge.
That is why the issue may well be the accentuated due to the use of a phantom speaker in a stereo set instead of a discreet setup with a seperate centre speaker.

DavidMcRoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
We watched 'Dune' (2021) for the first time, streamed on HBO Max tonight, in Dolby Atmos on our 6.2.4 system. We had no trouble understanding dialog, but man what a nasty, distorted dialog recording! Holy cow. I haven't heard anything that sounded that gritty and dirty in a very long time. I've seen complaints all over the web about buried dialog, but no one warned about the insane levels of high-frequency distortion. It reminds me of the kind of distortion you get from analog FM wireless microphone transmitters that we use in TV and movie production when the batteries are dying. It's particularly unpleasant.

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We watched 'Dune' (2021) for the first time, streamed on HBO Max tonight, in Dolby Atmos on our 6.2.4 system. We had no trouble understanding dialog, but man what a nasty, distorted dialog recording! Holy cow. I haven't heard anything that sounded that gritty and dirty in a very long time. I've seen complaints all over the web about buried dialog, but no one warned about the insane levels of high-frequency distortion. It reminds me of the kind of distortion you get from analog FM wireless microphone transmitters that we use in TV and movie production when the batteries are dying. It's particularly unpleasant.
Do you know the bandwidth you use when watching HBO Max? I hear distortion when the streaming service throttles the stream. The distortion is similar to old 128Kbps or lower MP3 recordings. There is a lot of data required for a film like Dune, which is chock full of audio and dynamic video.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
4K streaming goes up to +30 Mbps or more. An 768 kbps Atmos stream is the least you should be worried about.
768kbps for Atmos may mean mean there’s less than 128kbps left for each channel if the sound track is complicated, which the latest Dune’s is very much so.

7x 256kbps for the bed channels alone may need more than 768kbps.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
768kbps for Atmos may mean mean there’s less than 128kbps left for each channel if the sound track is complicated, which the latest Dune’s is very much so.

7x 256kbps for the bed channels alone may need more than 768kbps.
That may be, but I really doubt you’d pass an ABX between DD+ Atmos and TrueHD Atmos when the same master was used.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That may be, but I really doubt you’d pass an ABX between DD+ Atmos and TrueHD Atmos when the same master was used.
I think at 10x more compression many will hear the difference.
Dolby TrueHD bitrates average around 6,000 kbps for Dolby Atmos at 48 kHz with peak data rates up to a maximum of 18,000 kbps for high sampling rate multichannel content.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think at 10x more compression many will hear the difference.

That’s close enough to 2-channel OGG or AAC compression ratio for transparency (you really don’t need 320 Kbps for that). And more channels makes it even easier because you always have common content. I still think you will have a really hard, probably impossible time ABX’ing them. Sadly, such a test isn’t very easy to set-up.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That’s close enough to 2-channel OGG or AAC compression ratio for transparency (you really don’t need 320 Kbps for that). And more channels makes it even easier because you always have common content. I still think you will have a really hard, probably impossible time ABX’ing them. Sadly, such a test isn’t very easy to set-up.
All I'm saying is that when you reduce a stream that was meant to be 6000kbps+ to 1/10th the size you will hear artefacts. I do but you may not.

OldenEars

I've seen the 2021 version. It's solid science fiction.
The gold plated faucet look put me off Alan smithe's version. Plus all the added stuff like the voice weapon.

I'm not a huge fan of the books as it's more fantasy than sci fi.

The new one is decent. I like the SFX/music.

OldenEars

Again and again I find I'm lonely or among very few who really likes the Lynch version.

Now, if there are some cineasts among you, you might find this piece of cinematographic history fascinating. Lynch's version really started before he took over. He wasn't even in the picture. It was a project that a much, much liked, almost cultish director Alejandro Jodorowsky wanted to make and he picked non other than HR Giger to do the props. The project stopped only after a lot of artifacts were made and some money already went into it. It needed to be finished as they believed they will save some money that was invested.

This is why I simply loved the design and although I see many people hate this version it left a deep impact on visuals of later adaptations. (In fact, people who really love Lynch, hate this movie and people who don't care for Lynch often like this Dune)

Personally, I was even satisfied with how Sting played his role (otherwise I'm not a big fan). The Baron (Kenneth McMillan), Duke Leto (Mr. Prochnow), Linda Hunt, Leonardo Cimino Paul L. Smith...

Must have seen it for a thousand times. There's a documentary on this version.

There's lots to like in lunch/smithees version like you say.

Even Sting ;)

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The gold plated faucet look put me off Alan smithe's version. Plus all the added stuff like the voice weapon.

I'm not a huge fan of the books as it's more fantasy than sci fi.

The new one is decent. I like the SFX/music.
The line between sci fi and and fantasy is thin. Paul's powers are supposedly produced by a selective breeding program and the mysterious substance spice mélange. That's almost magic.

OldenEars

The line between sci fi and and fantasy is thin. Paul's powers are supposedly produced by a selective breeding program and the mysterious substance spice mélange. That's almost magic.
I agree and it made me think of quote about sci fi is science with one exception allowed. I may be misrembering though :)

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree and it made me think of quote about sci fi is science with one exception allowed. I may be misrembering though :)
In fantasy magic substitutes for the far fetched science in sci fi.

Top Bottom