• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Evidence-based Speaker Designs

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Am I understanding the 3.7 measurements correctly that the vertical off axis FR is horrible but horizontal is good? It would seem like this won’t be a big deal for critical listening.

You're right that the vertical polars are poor; this is an unavoidable by-product of any passive first-order design like the 3.7. Indeed, the only reason the vertical polars aren't far worse is that the midrange and tweeter are coaxial.

Whether or not it's a big deal for critical listening is arguable. It's less of a problem than poor horizontal polars would be, and it's certainly not as bad in the 3.7 as in almost all other (non-coaxial) first-order passive designs.

OP
Ilkless

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Am I understanding the 3.7 measurements correctly that the vertical off axis FR is horrible but horizontal is good? It would seem like this won’t be a big deal for critical listening.

There are still a lot of perturbations/ripple for the 3.7, even if the general trend is not egregious. Contrast with the TT1 that dispenses with the dogma and is much smoother.

b1daly

Forum Donor
This is an interesting thread, but IMO the mark has been badly missed. The issue of what makes a “good” speaker is vexingly difficult subject, as there are many different axes that this could be measured on, and perhaps axes that exist but simply cannot be represented as data.

Going back to the earlier part of the thread where someone suggested that using the popularity of a speaker was an example of the argumentum ad populum fallacy: this is an incorrect application of the this idea. That fallacy applies when there is an objective fact about the world that is contentious, and an argument is made that the most popular belief is true. It requires a subject that can fit into the categories of true/false, accurate/innacurate etc...

If a person was trying to ascertain which speaker has the most accurate frequency response, trying to answer this based on popularity would be an example of the argumentum ad populum fallacy.

But I will venture a guess that that this thesis has never been proposed in seriousness.

When it comes to personal preferences or subjective experiences it is not possible to validate some and invalidate others. A total idiot who knows nothing about audio can be just as happy with their crap speakers as the genius with their hyper designed monstrosity.

Resarch about personal preferences, which are subjective, does count as evidence. I think Bose has based their designs on such evidence, and succeeded with this approach. (Personally I think they hit some sweet spots along the way, but once they got into the “spacialized dsp” home theater stuff, and then the portable speaker market, I start to hate the sound. But apparently I and most audio enthusiasts are in the minority here.)

When it comes to subjective preferences, there can be study of the objective elements of the speaker that are the cause of the subjective preference. But if the goal was to “evidence based design,” it seems like evidence from psychoacoustic research would be the proper grounding, with the physics in service to that.

The concept of “scientific” investigation of audio as Amir is doing is interesting, but for practical reasons very limited. The core criteria of this approach, as applied to DAC, amps, streamers is looking most narrowly whether a device is at a minimum copying and transmitting data correctly, and then looking how closely an electrical signal is to its original when passed through gear, after scaling for gain.

In this sense, one can say the gear is “accurate.” But this is not only a limited perspective on the question of whether a speaker is accurate, but reflects that the notion of accuracy, of “hi fi” itself is virtually meaningless outside of a narrow set of parameters, important only to the ever dwindling audience for acoustically generates music.

This standard would be, does a chain of transducer-electricity-a whole bunch of other complicated stuff- electricity- transducer give a listener a close approximation of the original sound.

There are so many reasons why this view of audio is outdated at best, but I will try to point out some glaring examples:

- even if we are considered simply mic’d acoustic music played back on a high quality system, the system could only hope to come close to replicating the sound, of reprocducing it with high fidelity, if the actual sound level was in the ballpark of the original acoustic source. This will almost never be the case, and it is only under the control of the listener. My guess is that the vast majority of real world listening is done at a much lower level than the original event. (Maybe an acoustic guitar or other solo instruments would come the closest.). Most people would find the experience of sitting 10 feet in front of a drum set with a drummer playing hard to be on the upper level of comfort.

Even people who love to blast rock music will do so at much lower relative levels than the actual instruments.

Because of this, people who make recordings of music (which I do) are not concerned with “accuracy” but more with communicating the “expression” of the music. So if you are trying to represent the expression of let’s say a big band orchestra, techniques are required to represent this sound energy without literally recreating the sound energy. This is basically the illusion of “verisimilitude,”

(This lowely “loudness control” of the old days was an attempt to mitigate this.)

Beyond this, as we move from the dawn of the recording industry to now, speaker systems are more properly considered sound “producers” than “reproducers.” Many sound sources are not even electric, never mind acoustic, but actually originate as data and become sound for the first time at the playback speaker

This leads to strange feedback loops, but one of the biggest that had played a role since the beginning of the music business is that people who make recordings have to target the expected listening environment of the audience. This means the technologies and trends of speakers designs themselves become active considerations for record producing choices.

Simply put, if the one is trying to make a hit pop record these days, you have to take into account that primary listening environments will be cars, Bluetooth speakers, various earbuds and headphones, computer speaker systems, home theater systems. The way these systems are voiced, which is all over the damn place, cannot be left out of the production process.

What this means is that for the vast majority of records, the only reference point that accuracy has any meaning would be how close the playback represents the experience of the music makers in the production environment. This is largely dominated by nearfield monitors, with an increasing reliance on subwoofers.

This makes for a moving target. A commercial speaket designer has not only to figure out these vexingly issues of voicing and accuracy, but also countless other aspects that affect the marketability of the product. This is a freakishly tall order, and I agree with the sentiment that some amazing engineering is happening among the larger commercial speaker companies to address it.

FWIW, I purchased a pair of the Neumann KH120s to use as studio montitors, and found them to be a profoundly horrible sounding speaker. Like many modern studio monitors, they presented a sound that at best, at best, I could say was accurate enough that I could use them. Even in that realm, they seemed to fall short in that they tended to, paradoxically, impart a characteristic sound that was superficially flattering to a mix (not what I look for.) They seemed voiced way too bright, and had an “ artificial” quality to them, whatever that vague subjective description might mean. They also have a steady hiss, which was annoying when sitting close.

I sold them relatively quickly as I don’t like to work on speakers that “sound bad.”

I can’t pretend to expertise here, but while I certainly think measuremt and science should be used in speaket design, “accuracy” considered too narrowly can lead speaker designers badly astray.

Last edited:
OP
Ilkless

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is an interesting thread, but IMO the mark has been badly missed. The issue of what makes a “good” speaker is vexingly difficult subject, as there are many different axes that this could be measured on, and perhaps axes that exist but simply cannot be represented as data.

Going back to the earlier part of the thread where someone suggested that using the popularity of a speaker was an example of the argumentum ad populum fallacy: this is an incorrect application of the this idea. That fallacy applies when there is an objective fact about the world that is contentious, and an argument is made that the most popular belief is true. It requires a subject that can fit into the categories of true/false, accurate/innacurate etc...

If a person was trying to ascertain which speaker has the most accurate frequency response, trying to answer this based on popularity would be an example of the argumentum ad populum fallacy.

But I will venture a guess that that this thesis has never been proposed in seriousness.

When it comes to personal preferences or subjective experiences it is not possible to validate some and invalidate others. A total idiot who knows nothing about audio can be just as happy with there crap speakers as the genius with their hyper designed monstrosity.

Resarch about personal preferences, which are subjective, does count as evidence. Anecdotally, I think Bose has based their designs on such evidence, and succeeded with this approach. (Personally think they hit some sweet spots along the way, but once they got into the “specialized” home theater stuff, and then the portable speaker market I start to hate the sound. But apparently I and most audio enthusiasts are in the definite minority here.)

When it comes to subjective preferences, there can be study of the objective elements of the speaker that are the cause of the subjective preference. But if the goal was to “evidence based design” it seems like evidence from psychoacoustic research would be the proper grounding, with the physics in service to that.

The concept of “scientific” investigation of audio as Amir is doing is interesting, but for practical reasons very limited. The core criteria of this approach, as applied to DAC, amps, streamers is looking most narrowly whether a device is at a minimum copying and transmitting data correctly, and then looking how closely an electrical signal is to its original when passed through gear, after scaling for gain.

In this sense, one can say the gear is “accurate.” But this is not only a limited perspective on the question of whether a speaker is accurate, but reflects that the notion of accuracy, of “hi fi” itself is virtually meaningless outside of a narrow set of parameters, important only to the ever dwindling audience for acoustically generates music.

This standard would be, does a chain of transducer-electricity-a whole bunch of other complicated stuff- electricity- transducer give a listener a close approximation of the original sound.

There are so many reasons why this view of audio is outdated at best, but I will try to point out some glaring examples:

- even if we are considered simply mic’d acoustic music played back on a high quality playback system, the system could only hope to come close to replicating the sound, of reprocducing it with high fidelity, if the actual sound level was in the ballpark of the original acoustic source. This will almost never be the case. My guess is that the vast majority of real world listening is done at a much lower level than the original event. (Maybe an acoustic guitar or other solo instruments would come the closest.). Most people would find the experience of sitting 10 feet in front of a drum set with a drummer playing hard to be on the upper level of comfort.

Even people who love to blast rock music will do so at much lower relative levels than the actual instruments.

Because of this, people who make recordings of music (which I do) are not concerned with “accuracy” but more with communicating the “expression” of the music. So if you are trying to represent the expression of let’s say a big band orchestra, techniques are required to represent this sound energy without literally recreating the sound energy. This is basically the illusion of “verisimilitude,”

Beyond this, as we move from the dawn of the recording industry to now, speaker systems are more properly considered sound “producers” than “reproducers.” This leads to many strange feedback loops, but one of the biggest that had played a role since the beginning of the music business is that people who make recordings have to target the expected listening environment of the audience. This means the technologies and trends of speakers designs themselves become active considerations for record producing choices.

Simply put, if the one is trying to make a hit pop record these days, you have to take into account that primary listening environments will be cars, Bluetooth speakers, various earbuds and headphones, computer speaker systems, home theater systems. The way these systems are voiced, which is all over the place cannot be left out of the production process.

What this means is that for the vast majority of records, the only reference point that accuracy has any meaning would be how close the mic represents the experience of the music makers in the production environment. This is largely dominated by nearfield monitors, with an increasing reliance on subwoofers.

This makes for a moving target. A commercial speaket designer has not only to figure out these vexingly issues of voicing and accuracy, but also countless other aspects that affect the marketability of the product. This is a freakishly tall order, and I agree with the sentiment that some amazing engineering is happening among the larger commercial speaker companies to address it.

FWIW, purchased a pair of the Neumann KH120s to use ad studio montitors, and found them to be a profoundly horrible sounding speaker. Like many modern studio monitors, they presented a sound that at best, at best, I could say was accurate enough that I could use them. Even in that realm, they seemed to fall short in that they tended to, paradoxically, impart a characteristic sound that was superficially flattering to a mix (not what I look for.) They seemed voice way too bright, and had an “ artificial” quality to them, whatever that vague subjective description might mean. They also have a steady hiss, which was annoying when sitting close.

I sold them relatively quickly as I don’t like to work on speakers that I thing “sound bad.”

I can’t pretend to expertise here, but while I certainly think measuremt and science should be used in speaket design, “accuracy” considered too narrowly can lead speaker designers badly astray.

"Accuracy" is not an arbitrary descriptor as you misrepresent in favour of anecdotal experience. Accuracy is empirical fact of how closely the transduced acoustic output signal mimics the input electrical signal (be it in time, frequency, phase, level/intensity), over a given coverage area (directivity), for a given set of applications determined based on input signal characteristics, size limitations of transducer, SPL requirements, room characteristics etc. For instance, there can be an equally accurate wide-dispersion or narrow-dispersion speaker with different, but nonetheless smooth dispersion patterns, suitable for different sorts of placements according to room considerations like direct-to-reflected sound ratio. Accuracy is not a single monotonous point. I prefer to understand it as a ballpark/"solution space" of equally-accurate solutions differentiated by their optimal application. For instance, a CBT takes some linear distortion (inherent to the drivers it needs to use) for a much more uniform dispersion over a wide vertical and horizontal area and less SPL loss with distance. Great for listening areas with many seats for many listeners, but it doesn't make it the most accurate speaker possible. This thread aims to curate speakers that, based on the evidence (measurements, in relation to known facts of acoustics and psychoacoustics), falls within the "ballpark" of accuracy.

Your anecdotal experience does not render "accuracy" some amorphous concept with definitions that can be loosened to whatever you like. Nor does it mean accuracy is necessarily "horrible" - especially in sighted listening fraught with numerous biases (especially having read subjective reviews that conflate accuracy with displeasure).

Last edited:

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Three statements:

1. A speaker with a waveguide and frontfiring woofer below where you get a collapsing polar quite early in frequency is not a SOTA loudspeaker design.
2. A speaker that has a passive crossover near the sensitive area without time alignment is not a SOTA loudspeaker design.
3. A speaker with vertical lobing and comb filtering near the sensitive area is not a SOTA loudspeaker design.

That's my opinion. ;)

OP
Ilkless

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Three statements:

1. A speaker with a waveguide and frontfiring woofer below where you get a collapsing polar quite early in frequency is not a SOTA loudspeaker design.
2. A speaker that has a passive crossover near the sensitive area without time alignment is not a SOTA loudspeaker design.
3. A speaker with vertical lobing and comb filtering near the sensitive area is not a SOTA loudspeaker design.

That's my opinion. ;)

You still haven't defined what you mean by "collapsing polar". The sloping down of power response?

Do you have literature on the audibility of time alignment to support your claims?

Agreed on vertical lobing, but given the relatively significant linear distortion (especially in the treble) I've seen measured from CBTs (which you seem to be implying), the question is one of whether the directivity performance outweighs the linear distortion within the beam. There is also the pragmatic issue of nearfield listeners not having the space to set up a ground-plane array.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company

When it comes to personal preferences or subjective experiences it is not possible to validate some and invalidate others. A total idiot who knows nothing about audio can be just as happy with their crap speakers as the genius with their hyper designed monstrosity.

Resarch about personal preferences, which are subjective, does count as evidence. I think Bose has based their designs on such evidence, and succeeded with this approach. (Personally I think they hit some sweet spots along the way, but once they got into the “spacialized dsp” home theater stuff, and then the portable speaker market, I start to hate the sound. But apparently I and most audio enthusiasts are in the minority here.)

When it comes to subjective preferences, there can be study of the objective elements of the speaker that are the cause of the subjective preference. But if the goal was to “evidence based design,” it seems like evidence from psychoacoustic research would be the proper grounding, with the physics in service to that.

- even if we are considered simply mic’d acoustic music played back on a high quality system, the system could only hope to come close to replicating the sound, of reprocducing it with high fidelity, if the actual sound level was in the ballpark of the original acoustic source. This will almost never be the case, and it is only under the control of the listener. My guess is that the vast majority of real world listening is done at a much lower level than the original event. (Maybe an acoustic guitar or other solo instruments would come the closest.). Most people would find the experience of sitting 10 feet in front of a drum set with a drummer playing hard to be on the upper level of comfort.

(This lowely “loudness control” of the old days was an attempt to mitigate this.)

Beyond this, as we move from the dawn of the recording industry to now, speaker systems are more properly considered sound “producers” than “reproducers.” Many sound sources are not even electric, never mind acoustic, but actually originate as data and become sound for the first time at the playback speaker

This leads to strange feedback loops, but one of the biggest that had played a role since the beginning of the music business is that people who make recordings have to target the expected listening environment of the audience. This means the technologies and trends of speakers designs themselves become active considerations for record producing choices.

Simply put, if the one is trying to make a hit pop record these days, you have to take into account that primary listening environments will be cars, Bluetooth speakers, various earbuds and headphones, computer speaker systems, home theater systems. The way these systems are voiced, which is all over the damn place, cannot be left out of the production process.

What this means is that for the vast majority of records, the only reference point that accuracy has any meaning would be how close the playback represents the experience of the music makers in the production environment. This is largely dominated by nearfield monitors, with an increasing reliance on subwoofers.

FWIW, I purchased a pair of the Neumann KH120s to use as studio montitors, and found them to be a profoundly horrible sounding speaker. Like many modern studio monitors, they presented a sound that at best, at best, I could say was accurate enough that I could use them. Even in that realm, they seemed to fall short in that they tended to, paradoxically, impart a characteristic sound that was superficially flattering to a mix (not what I look for.) They seemed voiced way too bright, and had an “ artificial” quality to them, whatever that vague subjective description might mean. They also have a steady hiss, which was annoying when sitting close.

I sold them relatively quickly as I don’t like to work on speakers that “sound bad.”

I'm guessing you have read Floyd Tooles book?

Start with this lecture

What makes a good speaker (one that is consistently preferred in blind listening tests) is quite clear. Predictably and consistently related and correlated to specific anechoic measurements. To paraphrase, flat and smooth on axis anechoic response with smooth off axis response.

We know what to do, yet many speaker manufacturers simply don't.

You are absolutely correct about the recording process. Audiophiles need to get out of their heads that anything but a few specialist nerd recordings are made for the purpose of accuracy. This is the circle of confusion. Most recordings are an artistic interpretation. The sound of the recording is an implicit part of the art, and artists do not seek accurate. They produce an artistic product, musically and aurally.

Last edited:

MSNWatch

Randomized, prospective double blind testing is the gold standard in testing in medicine -for drugs and other medical interventions. No such strict testing has been done for speakers (and other audio products for that matter) to my knowledge but what data exists is summarized by @March Audio and if it isn't clear - in blinded testing the listeners are more likely to agree than to have varied preferences. So it validates what we know of other things - we tend to buy the same type of vehicles, like the same type of food etc. But in audio things today (as they have been for some time) mirror what we see in politics and social media - it is not what is true it is what I can convince you is true.

Krunok

Major Contributor
.. it is not what is true it is what I can convince you is true.

I believe the same is true with fashion industry, which is even more shameful for audio as fashion is not about technology.

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Randomized, prospective double blind testing is the gold standard in testing in medicine -for drugs and other medical interventions. No such strict testing has been done for speakers (and other audio products for that matter) to my knowledge but what data exists is summarized by @March Audio and if it isn't clear - in blinded testing the listeners are more likely to agree than to have varied preferences. So it validates what we know of other things - we tend to buy the same type of vehicles, like the same type of food etc. But in audio things today (as they have been for some time) mirror what we see in politics and social media - it is not what is true it is what I can convince you is true.

A poorly designed speaker won't kill you.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So it validates what we know of other things - we tend to buy the same type of vehicles, like the same type of food etc. But in audio things today (as they have been for some time) mirror what we see in politics and social media - it is not what is true it is what I can convince you is true.

I think I must be misunderstanding what you meant to say.

Because it makes no sense to me to propose people buy the same type of vehicles and like the same type of food. It's hard to imagine realms in which there is so much variation in what people like and buy!

noobie1

I'm guessing you have read Floyd Tooles book?

Start with this lecture

What makes a good speaker (one that is consistently preferred in blind listening tests) is quite clear. Predictably and consistently related to specific anechoic measurements. To paraphrase, flat and smooth on axis anechoic response with smooth of axis response.

We know what to do, yet many speaker manufacturers simply don't.

You are absolutely correct about the recording process. Audiophiles need to get out of their heads that anything but a few specialist nerd recordings are made for the purpose of accuracy. This is the circle if confusion. Most recordings are an artistic interpretation. The sound of the recording is an implicit part of the art, and artists do not seek accurate. They produce an artistic product, musically and aurally.

If there are certain speaker attributes that are favored in DBT, why isn’t the market flooding to these speakers? They are readily available. I myself have listened to Kii Threes in a dedicated listening environment. I really wanted to love the speakers because it had these attributes but couldn’t. I also had various studio monitors in my home and returned all of them. And I started off with the bias that these speakers are better than the hifi offerings.

Perhaps the DBT is somewhat flawed? From what I understand, Harman only tests single speakers at a time. Whereas most people listen in stereo mode. That seems silly to me.

MSNWatch

I think I must be misunderstanding what you meant to say.

Because it makes no sense to me to propose people buy the same type of vehicles and like the same type of food. It's hard to imagine realms in which there is so much variation in what people like and buy!

The fallacy has been that if you have 10 people they will have 10 preferences in sound when the truth is a majority of that 10 will have the same preference. And that will be for the speaker with good on axis response and smooth off axis dispersion.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
If there are certain speaker attributes that are favored in DBT, why isn’t the market flooding to these speakers?

1. Because even if 75% of people tested preferred the sound of speaker A, that leaves 25% who might prefer the sound of something else.
2. DBTs test for preference in sound. That's not the only (or often the main) reason behind purchase decisions.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The fallacy has been that if you have 10 people they will have 10 preferences in sound when the truth is a majority of that 10 will have the same preference. And that will be for the speaker with good on axis response and smooth off axis dispersion.

Yes, I'm aware of that in audio.

But it seems rather strange to equate that to food and cars as certainly tastes widely diverge in cars, and especially food. Some people get off on everything from a Volkswagen golf, to a Hummer, to a 50's sports car, and there are clearly massive variations in taste when it comes to food.

So it struck me as an inapt analogy and strange to claim people tend to buy the same cars had like the same food. That's just manifestly false.

But, no need for a false analogy to muck up a perfectly good point, which is that, yes, the work of Floyd Toole et al show that under controlled test conditions people will prefer a certain trend in speaker design.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It might if the sound is bad enough to cause you to be irate enough to get a stroke! ;)

And yet...

I personally found a wide range of music that I played through the "badly designed" Devore speakers more compelling than on, for instance, Magico, Paradigm or Revel speakers I auditioned.

This is one reason why, though I certainly acknowledge the soundness of the statistical results of Toole's research, I personally am not ready to rely solely on that research to guide my own speaker purchases i.e. "Harman Kardon's tests show I would likely prefer their speakers...."

If I did, rolling the dice on getting something like a Revel speaker would have made the most sense, but in practice, though they sounded well designed and competent, they just didn't do much for me.

OP
Ilkless

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And yet...

I personally found a wide range of music that I played through the "badly designed" Devore speakers more compelling than on, for instance, Magico, Paradigm or Revel speakers I auditioned.

This is one reason why, though I certainly acknowledge the soundness of the statistical results of Toole's research, I personally am not ready to rely solely on that research to guide my own speaker purchases i.e. "Harman Kardon's tests show I would likely prefer their speakers...."

If I did, rolling the dice on getting something like a Revel speaker would have made the most sense, but in practice, though they sounded well designed and competent, they just didn't do much for me.

And as I said in an reply in another thread, these were under sighted conditions, where non-acoustic bias can simply distort judgments of the sound:

The Devore has a sexier narrative (Brooklyn artisanal construction with exotic "natural" materials, idiosyncratic driver choices and crossover by a maverick designer). These narratives all too often serve to legitimise/excuse backwards - or outright bad - engineering under sighted listening conditions. If the market was truly "meritocratic" there would be no space for continued success of the Harbeths and Devores of the world in the DSP crossover era. Retail hifi is never about the sound. Its about entrenching a narrative of one's superior/enlightened taste in esoteric, hard-to-attain equipment that eludes any criticism and is improved through a painstaking intuition-based "journey" of tweaking.

Our judgments under sighted conditions are unavoidably a composite of acoustic and non-acoustic factors, even if these judgments are framed/articulated as if they were purely evaluations of sound quality.

Also, it is reductive to just take Harman's statistical results at face value as expressions of preference. Instead, there are even more fundamental empirical principles like the precedence effect that underpin this preference and give it some external validity beyond the test subjects.

Top Bottom