• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X4800H AVR Review

Rate this AVR

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 72 22.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 178 54.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 68 20.7%

• Total voters

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Yep, just performing the firmware update in my X4800H as we text :)

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Break out your wallets:

No M1+ support wth.

It does support M1 Macs. I have Dirac Live in my miniDSP FLEX TRS and it works perfectly fine in my Mac Studio M1 Max running macOS Ventura.

Screenshot 2023-03-15 at 8.49.55 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-03-15 at 8.50.23 AM.png

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Are we talking Denon here (Denon is 2 years warranty on on AVR's (at least in the USA))?

Denon X - Series is 3 years in the USA. S - Series is 2 years in the USA.

rvsixer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It does support M1 Macs. I have Dirac Live in my miniDSP FLEX TRS and it works perfectly fine in my Mac Studio M1 Max running macOS Ventura.
That's miniDSP, yes? My statement was about Denon Dirac Live, which currently states "Intel i3 or equivalent". Is Denon Dirac Live running on M1?

Doh never mind, I see your Dirac interface listing both miniDSP and Denon...still Dirac should update their system requirements.

Last edited:

Everett T

Forum Donor
I would love to start hearing how 4800 owners are liking the sound quality numbers and measurements aside. Does it sound detailed, clarity in 2ch or separation and timing for moveis 7.2.4. Do you have great speakers to listen to. Does the 4800 make the speakers come alive. How does it compare to your last unit? Still a littler nervous and now the Integre DRX 8.4 looks like a lot of avr for the money. It has more weigh more power and more features for the money with XLR outputs for some channels. No 4 subs but dirac included an 300 less then the Marantz C40 and almost 20lbs heavier.Looks like a great product. Probably should have waited. I would really like feed back on the performance of the 4800. Mine is still sealed and can go back. I just bough the Martin Logan F100's and the C100 center, All suround and atmos are also Martin Logan with the ribbon tweeters. Hoping for amazing sound but still nervous with the TI Dacs. I wil be finding out soon as my home will be ready.
I'm guessing you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the DACs and when those Ti DACs where used in TOL products no one was complaining about their sound quality then. ;)

rvsixer

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
With the new firmware update, Advanced HDMI Diagnostics are now enabled over Web Browser Interface:

Screenshot 2023-03-15 at 9.27.19 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-03-15 at 9.27.36 AM.png

Rockman2

Me too, but I really only want to see comparative reviews with a good complement of measurements, not subjective description of how each sounds, thanks but no thanks to that... Actually, I wouldn't mind the subjective part as well if they look more real, just don't like the kind that look so obviously exaggerated descriptive flowery worlds thrown around by many professional reviewers.
I too agree with the the numbers are inprtant. But after you review the data and buy a unit in needs to sound great. As you have read I am comming from an SR8015 because the guy who bought my home wanted my entire set up and I sold it with the home. I did not realize at the time we had a DAC shortage. But with the ridiculous increase in cost I was hoping to drop to a less expensive AVR and still have great sound. I am also adding an ATI 3ch amp to help power the LCR. I did notice when I went to the more expensive AVR's ONKYO TXNR5010 and Marantz SR8015. I did notice more detail in movies and music. May have been placebo but again trying to dig deeper hence reading a lot on this site.

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I too agree with the the numbers are inprtant. But after you review the data and buy a unit in needs to sound great. As you have read I am comming from an SR8015 because the guy who bought my home wanted my entire set up and I sold it with the home. I did not realize at the time we had a DAC shortage. But with the ridiculous increase in cost I was hoping to drop to a less expensive AVR and still have great sound. I am also adding an ATI 3ch amp to help power the LCR. I di notice when I went to the more expensive AVR's ONKYO TXNR5010 and Marantz SR8015. I did notice more detail in movies and music. May have been placebo but again trying to did deeper hence reading a lot on this site.

Bases on my own subjective experience, I would say different avrs will sound different for movies, but for music, it will be harder to tell the difference, all else being equal.

Also, if numbers are good, but sounds bad then something else are wrong.

Last edited:

Rockman2

Bases on my own subjective experience, I would say differeny avrs will sound different for movies, but for music, it will be harder to tell the difference, all else being equal.

Also, if numbers are good, but sounds bad then something else are wrong.
Well I am about 30 days away from moving in and I will be installing my system. Looking forward to It. Just hoping the 4800 dose not disappoint. We do mostly moveis and 10-15% music. I have also ugraded from the Martin Logan 60 XTi to the new Martin Logan F100's and C100 center. The new ATI 3 channel should run these perfectly. Reviews are very good on this new sires speaker. And I do love the Verbs used in these reviews. One guy in particular. Really like his reviews but he must have a list of 100 verbs and he needs to use at least 25 in a review lol.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
We also get 3 Dirac Slots:

9CFB6D7C-AD7A-45BF-A169-34A0623D1CCE.png

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Notice that you can select Dirac Slots per input. This is something really new as I do not recall any other Dirac receiver or processor that allows select Dirac Slots per input. Very genius from Dirac and D&M.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Nope. Only Dirac Live Room Correction Suite offers 14 days trial. Dirac Live for receivers and processors not.

Shardak

Nope. Only Dirac Live Room Correction Suite offers 14 days trial. Dirac Live for receivers and processors not.
Thats a shame. I think I will stick with my x3700. Pretty happy with the results of Audyssey, but curious if Dirac could to better.

PS: I just got an FV18 sub and love it.

ivo.f.doma

Sure but you don’t need to purchase it if you are happy with Audyssey. However, you get the chance to purchase it for a fee and have both in one box. Currently, the only option to have both, Dirac and Audyssey is purchasing a MiniDSP DDRC-88 and you get only 8 Dirac Channels at the price of $1200 and it’s not even in stock.
Onkyo Pioneer Integra also has two systems, MCACC and DIRAC in one box, straight from the factory and for free!

Top Bottom