• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Emotiva C3...is it just me or is this even dumber than C2+ in terms of mid drivers

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
b) can you hear said comb filtering effects?
Yes. The reflections will be missing sound in that part of the spectrum, so the sound power isn't even like it would be with other designs. And worse, hopefully no one ends up sitting at the end of the couch, right in one of those holes. You may hear complaints about muffled voices.

OP
G

GabrielPhoto

a) It actually sounds great. b) can you hear said comb filtering effects? c) if you mount it vertically, what effect does that have on any perceived ill effects?

You will also get folks saying something is crap that have never even heard it nor seen objective testing.

One thing I do know for sure: the dispersion is better than the C2+ in my room. ;)

But maybe the Altitude 32 and my narrowish room are masking all these alleged problems?

Given you started this apparent FUD thread just based on pictures (and made some incorrect assumptions about the tweeter IIRC) I think you have shown far more bias than me, who actually has one - and I freely admit I am biased as a result and want to see proper test results.
a) as I said earlier, even old Bose has rave reviews..no offense meant but is the truth. The C2+ has great reviews. All sorts of bad products have them. Lots of junk 2way mtm, soundboards..all have them.
b) "said comb filtering" You speak of it as if it was some mythical issue. Is not, is simple science and measureable. If you cannot detect such big drops of frequency responses at varied angles then I would be very concern about either my room acoustics or my hearing.
c) it varies per speaker. Many MTM will actually sound better vertically but it depends, not a general rule.

You will also get folks saying something is crap that have never even heard it nor seen objective testing.
I dont need to drive a car with square tires to know its going to be a bad experience ;)
Given you started this apparent FUD thread just based on pictures (and made some incorrect assumptions about the tweeter IIRC) I think you have shown far more bias than me, who actually has one - and I freely admit I am biased as a result and want to see proper test results.
LOL first, I NEVER made any comments about the tweeter. The problem is the side by side mid range drivers so at least get your facts straight. THAT is the huge issue with that flawed designed. The same thing they did with the C2+ and instead of fixing it for C3+ as many of us were hoping, they went with marketing over engineering. Of course you are biased because it sucks having to return it. I paid $98 to return my C2+ after testing how bad it was. Many will just LEARN to like it instead of spending $100 to send it back. So I get it...bias confirmation an all that.
Not sure if you just meant to show off with your " Altitude32" comment but if in fact you have one, talk about odd choices...all that money on that Altitude and then pair it with a flawed low end center???
If you like it...more power to you but that does not change the facts that is a flawed product, as simple as that ;)

nemesis.ie

I can detect fall-off effects. Those are not always attributable (solely) to CF, but can also be to do with e.g. the waveguide. As mentioned, does the CF have the same effect if the speaker is positioned vertically (with the tweeter rotated) - If not, then if someone buys it to use like that and if CF was causing an issue and now isn't a "crap" product could become a "wonderful" one just by using it that way - just an example, not saying this is or isn't the case with the C3+.

I'm not disagreeing that "crap" products (like the Bose you mention) have good reviews, just that you can't automatically assume something is terrible without the measurements and use case; i.e. You may have a suspicion, but can't confirm it.

I was recalling it might have been you, hence the uncertainty, someone was commenting on it IIRC, apologies if it wasn't you.

Oh I can't really return it anyway, it would cost as much as the speaker, way more than $100 - but also it is much better in this respect than the C2+ and my L/R C2+ are vertical and positioned to maximise their dispersion to the LP and it all sounds really good. I'm in MLP so there are no dispersion issues anyway, but I have also used the two other positions and they too are well integrated.

I did say I had bias, we all do. ;) Hence the desire for measurements.

No, not showing off with the A32, just wondering if it is "masking" shortcomings of the speakers and I got it AFTER I bought the speakers (other than the C3+ and A2+) due to coming into some money and deciding to get an "end game" processor with it.

Please also comment on what your opinion on the C3+ would be if it was rotated 90 degrees (used vertically).

beaRA

@beaRA Has someone actually posted dispersion plots showing narrow mid dispersion or is that just your expectation from it being MTM?

What frequencies do you mean by midrange? 500Hz to 2500kHz?

Would that still be the case if the speaker can be positioned vertically (e.g. with AT screen)?

I'm keen to try that but it's a heavy beast to move around and is working really well. Putting it vertically would also mean I have to move my processor and 2 x 15" subs so it may well not be worth the effort/pain. :)
Erin has measurments of the C1+ and C2+, so you can see the effect of dual midrange drivers. The C2+ has 3" midrange drivers with close spacing under the tweeter, while the C3+ has 5.25" midrange drivers with wider spacing on either side of the tweeter. This indicates the C3+ will be even narrower in horizontal dispersion.

The C3+ midrange drivers have a band pass between 350Hz - 2.8kHz. This is the range where there will be cancelation off-axis. If you turn it vertically, the cancelation will now be in the vertical dispersion, which is not as problematic acoustically.

OP
G

GabrielPhoto

Erin has measurments of the C1+ and C2+, so you can see the effect of dual midrange drivers. The C2+ has 3" midrange drivers with close spacing under the tweeter, while the C3+ has 5.25" midrange drivers with wider spacing on either side of the tweeter. This indicates the C3+ will be even narrower in horizontal dispersion.

The C3+ midrange drivers have a band pass between 350Hz - 2.8kHz. This is the range where there will be cancelation off-axis. If you turn it vertically, the cancelation will now be in the vertical dispersion, which is not as problematic acoustically.

Exactly. You can easily tell without having to test it..is not like it was designed at Hogwarts lol

nemesis.ie

That was exactly my point with regard to vertical dispersion, if everyone's head is a within a few degrees vertically and are not bobbing up and down while listening too much (head-banging :p) if the speakers are used in this orientation they would be better with regard to perceived fall-off.

Doesn't dispersion increase the larger the driver is?

In my use case, L+R are probably less than 30 degrees off-axis from centre, so if the dispersion hasn't fallen off much within that range versus if you e.g. have your seat(s) 50+ degrees off-axis it may be a non-issue depending on the measurements.

I'll have to do some measurements in the new year as moving L/R from centre seems to result in much less/no noticeable drop-off than the C2+ which was very obvious.
C2+ was a noticeable 2 or 3db, with the C3+ it's probably less than 1 - I've listed to e.g. Nina Simone vocals (centre stage before the music comes in) and moved L/R with pretty much no perceived change in level.

Another thing to note is with a C2+ horizontal, there seemed to be a difference between above and below dispersion, making it important to have the tweeter in the right orientation depending on how high/low you have it, I would expect the C3+ not to have that problem. Due to this I have my L/R C2+s positioned with the tweeters towards centre as that does seem to give the best coverage.

Such a shame Erin's measurements are out of action at the moment.

nemesis.ie

Yes. The reflections will be missing sound in that part of the spectrum, so the sound power isn't even like it would be with other designs. And worse, hopefully no one ends up sitting at the end of the couch, right in one of those holes. You may hear complaints about muffled voices.

In my case, the seats are not that far apart (small angle) and reflections are being addressed with absorbers, diffusers and Trinnov processing. So this does not seem to be an issue.

nemesis.ie

Hmm, I must have read something incorrectly somewhere so - don't higher frequencies appear more "pencil beam" (in equivalence to light)/directional vs lower ones? So a bigger driver at lower frequency spreads the sound (moves air at wider angles) more?

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmm, I must have read something incorrectly somewhere so - don't higher frequencies appear more "pencil beam" (in equivalence to light)/directional vs lower ones? So a bigger driver at lower frequency spreads the sound (moves air at wider angles) more?
The smaller the driver, the wider the dispersion. That's why directivity narrows for woofers as they approach the crossover to the tweeter, and why waveguides are needed to restrict the tweeter (and lower the XO point) to match them.

mj30250

Also, drivers playing lower frequencies will "spread the sound more" by nature as bass frequencies are omni-directional.

nemesis.ie

Are we talking about different things here? By dispersion are people referring to the difference between frequencies and at higher ones smaller differences have a greater effect on the listening angle (coverage) Vs how the sound "spreads out" at different frequencies?

Seems to suggest wider coverage angles at lower frequencies.

I'm just trying to make sure we are talking about the same things - larger coverage to me = less fall off/wider listening angles.

mj30250

I think essentially the same.

Let's say you had a hypothetical speaker with only one large single driver that could play all the way from 20Hz up to 20kHz.

The dispersion of the lower frequencies would start out very wide (again, bass = large wavelengths = omni-directional). As frequency increased past a certain point, dispersion would begin to continually narrow all the way out to the high treble. If you wanted this speaker to maintain wide dispersion throughout, you would need to introduce and cross to smaller drivers.

beaRA

That was exactly my point with regard to vertical dispersion, if everyone's head is a within a few degrees vertically and are not bobbing up and down while listening too much (head-banging :p) if the speakers are used in this orientation they would be better with regard to perceived fall-off.

Doesn't dispersion increase the larger the driver is?

In my use case, L+R are probably less than 30 degrees off-axis from centre, so if the dispersion hasn't fallen off much within that range versus if you e.g. have your seat(s) 50+ degrees off-axis it may be a non-issue depending on the measurements.

I'll have to do some measurements in the new year as moving L/R from centre seems to result in much less/no noticeable drop-off than the C2+ which was very obvious.
C2+ was a noticeable 2 or 3db, with the C3+ it's probably less than 1 - I've listed to e.g. Nina Simone vocals (centre stage before the music comes in) and moved L/R with pretty much no perceived change in level.

Another thing to note is with a C2+ horizontal, there seemed to be a difference between above and below dispersion, making it important to have the tweeter in the right orientation depending on how high/low you have it, I would expect the C3+ not to have that problem. Due to this I have my L/R C2+s positioned with the tweeters towards centre as that does seem to give the best coverage.

Such a shame Erin's measurements are out of action at the moment.
You started our bit of back and forth after I posted a response to someone intending to use the C3+ horizontally under a TV. If you are using the C3+ vertically, my commentary doesn't apply. Vertical MTM layouts are very common for LCR use in home theater to increase sensitivity and reduce distortion. Narrow vertical dispersion is less problematic for listener placement and early reflections than narrow horizontal dispersion.

A larger driver starts to control directivity at a lower frequency than a smaller driver. That's not really the primary issue here. The center to center spacing of two drivers playing the same signal determines the frequency above which off-axis cancelation occurs. Larger drivers inherently require longer center to center spacing which lowers this frequency.

The C2+ is the worst of all worlds in terms of driver layout. Just look at the horizontal and vertical contours I shared. There is off-axis cancelation in both directions.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
a) It actually sounds great. b) can you hear said comb filtering effects? c) if you mount it vertically, what effect does that have on any perceived ill effects?

One thing I do know for sure: the dispersion is better than the C2+ in my room. ;)

But maybe the Altitude 32 and my narrowish room are masking all these alleged problems?

You have an Altitude 32 and you decided to buy this ???!!!!

nemesis.ie

Yes and it sounds great.

I don't have any money left to buy other speakers and it matches the other speakers I have. Maybe I should have got a C1+ instead.

As mentioned the off-axis fall-off (within my listening cone) is much less than the C2+ and pretty much not noticeable unless really listening for it and sliding from position to position.

nemesis.ie

1671383167150.png

C3+ vertical now.

All of this is covered by the AT screen and invisible when watching, other than the display on the Altitude when changing volume, so the mess/look is not an issue.

It sounds fantastic.

Last edited:

IBJamon

View attachment 250914

C3+ vertical now.

All of this is covered by the AT screen and invisible when watching, other than the display on the Altitude when changing volume, so the mess/look is not an issue.

It sounds fantastic.
If you are using it vertically, you probably want to rotate the AMT tweeter 90 degrees (if the screw posts are in a square). AMTs definitely are directional, as they disperse quite differently vertically vs. horizontally, unlike a dome tweeter.

nemesis.ie

I did do that. The rotation option was discussed early in the thread. This is a big plus over C2+.

Persik

Folks, my HT consists of C2+, LR T2+, and a bunch of A1s as sides and heights. C2+ is placed horizontally on monitor mounts and slightly tilted down, as it is right above the TV.
I can't hear C2+ difference from the 3 main positions on the couch, however, at the sides of the room it sounds not as loud, I guess that's the directivity.
Here's the question, shall I replace it with a better designed center speaker? The movies are watched on the couch only, will the SQ difference be noticeable at the sides/ off center mostly?

Top Bottom