• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measured performance of my Denon PMA-2500NE

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I have been told that is not...;)

Better check it there:

Lol. I guess the degree of change can be subjective.

My understanding is that the volume control concept is the main change.

The PMA-1600NE used a 45.5 dB fixed-gain amplifier to amplify the noise generated by the input resistor without attenuating, and used a mechanical shaft-sliding variable resistor for the volume adjuster.

The PMA-1700NE volume knob is used to report a value to the electronic volume control and they can lower the gain of the amplifier stage when you set the unit for lower volumes, presumably to decrease noise.

In a way, the 1600NE is like a true pre-amp and amp put into one box and the 1700NE is "more integrated".

fendersrule

Interesting! Yea, there's little (if any) information regarding sound differences between the 1600 vs 1700. For one thing, I'd be very surprised if there were any signifciant improvements on that aspect. The PMA-1700NE is currently at $2100, so that puts the PMA-1600NE $700-800 less!

I've only heard the PMA-800NE--the voicing is definitely for me. I'm assuming it only gets better as I move up the line.

My hunch is that spending $1000 total (after selling the PMA-800) will give me a percievable upgrade across the board. My amp is currently the weakspot when it comes to all of my other gear (turntable, speakers, etc).

I do run double TTs (one with an MM and one with an HO MC) so I have two Cambridge Solos that I use for pre-amps that I'll continue using.

Last edited:

Overseas

Major Contributor
I only had PMA 600NE,listened it with 3 pairs of speakers, in 2 different rooms, comparing with 2other amps at same price. Never sounded good, but better with external Topping DAC. Sold it. Gorgeous look.

fendersrule

It's probably likely that the PMA-600NE sounds the same as the PMA-800NE! Of course verification is needed on this statement.

Just got the PMA-1600 for $1200. Should be here in a week!

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

laudio

Am interested in buying a Denon PMA 1600/1700. Wondering how it worked out for the @fendersrule.

From I can gather the 1600/1700 differences are the electronic volume control, updated OLED display, and addition of external power amp input (something I wouldn't be using in the 2 chan system). And you can get silver finish on the 1700 in the US now, unlike before.

Read some other stuff in another thread about these units on OEM builds, but both are manufactured in Denon's own Japan plant from what I know - and part of the appeal for me. They seem like a great all in one for the price. Plus my current 2 chan system is running a 1979 Denon right now ha ha.

laudio

I have the 900HNE. It sounds good to me and fits my needs and price point.

For the money the 900HNE looks like a great deal as well with the streaming options added. And am sure it sounds good, have never ran into a Denon amp that didn't. Visually they look nearly identical. Internally different amplification. Does it have the same fit and finish as the next line up (aluminum knobs)?

telemike

For the money the 900HNE looks like a great deal as well with the streaming options added. And am sure it sounds good, have never ran into a Denon amp that didn't. Visually they look nearly identical. Internally different amplification. Does it have the same fit and finish as the next line up (aluminum knobs)?
Only volume knob is aluminum. Has improved circuit hand me downs from 110 and 1700. I have the 900 cd player too. Got tired of vintage equipment issues. Driving Klipsch KG 4.5s

Top Bottom