• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$30K Budget - On the quest for my "end game" speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You (MKR) really owe yourself at least a listen to 8351/61 (+W371?) in a good room, if for no other reason than to hear what a purely scientific approach to sound reproduction is capable of. Might you a benchmark if nothing else! :)

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not that MKR needs any more speakers on the list, but one I would have suggested is the Joseph Audio Pearl speakers. They are relatively compact for
a "flagship" speaker, their construction/fit/finish is out of this world, and the Joseph speakers do authentic timbre like few speakers I've heard (and are good with dynamics too...and imaging/soundstaging).

Pearls-001.jpg

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Not that MKR needs any more speakers on the list, but one I would have suggested is the Joseph Audio Pearl speakers. They are relatively compact for
a "flagship" speaker, their construction/fit/finish is out of this world, and the Joseph speakers do authentic timbre like few speakers I've heard (and are good with dynamics too...and imaging/soundstaging).
Funny you should mention Joseph Audio. I will be auditioning the Pearl Graphene this weekend

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
You (MKR) really owe yourself at least a listen to 8351/61 (+W371?) in a good room, if for no other reason than to hear what a purely scientific approach to sound reproduction is capable of. Might you a benchmark if nothing else! :)
KEF, Revel, etc do not use a scientific approach, only Genelec? :rolleyes:

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Funny you should mention Joseph Audio. I will be auditioning the Pearl Graphene this weekend

Wow. Dude, you get around! (Joseph dealers aren't the easiest to find).

I've only heard the Pearls once. At a show they produced among the most "human" sounding vocals I've heard from a loudspeaker, which led me to seek the brand out, and I ended up eventually with Joseph Audio Perspectives - the "baby Pearls." I recently picked my Perspectives up at my Joseph dealer as I'd had them upgraded to the "graphene" driver model, and they were in the process of setting up the Pearls for demo. I didn't stick around: the last thing I'd want is to hear the Pearls before setting up my own speakers!

Among all the speakers brands I ever researched Joseph Audio had the least detractors. It was hard to find anyone who'd heard them with anything bad to say.
And at audio shows they have regularly been cited among the "best of show" for many years now.

Doesn't mean you'll love them though, of course. I think I might be able to somewhat predict what you'll hear, relative to for instance the Revel Salons, but I don't want to give lots of details on the sound to possibly prejudice what you hear. But I'm very curious what you'll think of them. I hope they are set up well for your demo.

Reactions: MKR
OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Wow. Dude, you get around! (Joseph dealers aren't the easiest to find).

I've only heard the Pearls once. At a show they produced among the most "human" sounding vocals I've heard from a loudspeaker, which led me to seek the brand out, and I ended up eventually with Joseph Audio Perspectives - the "baby Pearls." I recently picked my Perspectives up at my Joseph dealer as I'd had them upgraded to the "graphene" driver model, and they were in the process of setting up the Pearls for demo. I didn't stick around: the last thing I'd want is to hear the Pearls before setting up my own speakers!

Among all the speakers brands I ever researched Joseph Audio had the least detractors. It was hard to find anyone who'd heard them with anything bad to say.
And at audio shows they have regularly been cited among the "best of show" for many years now.

Doesn't mean you'll love them though, of course. I think I might be able to somewhat predict what you'll hear, relative to for instance the Revel Salons, but I don't want to give lots of details on the sound to possibly prejudice what you hear. But I'm very curious what you'll think of them. I hope they are set up well for your demo.
Crazy enough there happens to be a dealer very close to me that carries Magico, Vivid, Joseph Audio, Audiovector, and Raidho! I had no idea until just recently.

One issue with the Pearls is they are $44k MSRP. So well over my budget. Seem to be way overpriced vs other competing products. I also have never read a bad word on Joseph, too bad they are a relative poor value vs competing offerings.

I will also be hearing the Audiovector R3 Arette and Raidho TD3.8 (Raidho WAY over my budget, $120k, but still going to listen to it!)

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Crazy enough there happens to be a dealer very close to me that carries Magico, Vivid, Joseph Audio, Audiovector, and Raidho! I had no idea until just recently.

One issue with the Pearls is they are $44k MSRP. So well over my budget. Seem to be way overpriced vs other competing products. I also have never read a bad word on Joseph, too bad they are a relative poor value vs competing offerings.

I also auditioned Raidho speakers in my crazy speaker search a few years ago. I wasn't in your snack bracket though, so it was the Raidho C 1.2 stand mounted speakers.

I can certainly see why you say that about the Joseph pricing vs some other brands (e.g. Revel). You are paying extra, I think, for the product of a tiny company. But they hit my personal "it factor" buttons that the others did not, so it was worth the money for me. I'd come from listening to my friend's Vivid Audio speakers, which were certainly impressive, but turn on my system with the Joseph speakers and feel 'aahhh...that's more like it. I'm home!" But I can easily understand why someone else would prefer Vivid Audio speakers over the Joseph speakers. And if someone starts with really liking the sound of Vivid speakers, I doubt they'd prefer similar-priced Raidho speakers from what I heard.

OdysseusG

I'll chime in with a negative take on Joseph Audio- the Pulsars were possibly the brightest speaker's I'd ever heard when I ran into them at Axpona. It was to the extent that something was hopefully awry on the electronics side, or I'd just be puzzled. Even then, I'm still confused that no one else was running out of that room.
The former Raidho team of Michael Borresen and Lars Kristensen consistently run the best audio show demos I've heard (honorable mention to Andrew Jones). I loved their demos with the Raidho D1 and now the Borresen 01, nevermind the 05 (my pick for best system I've ever heard). With the reviews so far I'd guess you'd like the Raidhos but they're hideously expensive. $25K for their standmounts, double for the Borresen 01, then double that for the new M1; madness

Adi777

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Borresen 01

SPECIFICATIONS:​

Frequentierespons50Hz-50KHz
Sensitivity86 dB/1W
Impedance>6 ohm
Recommended amplifier>50W
TwittererBØRRESEN flat ribbon tweeter
ManagerBØRRESEN patented iron-free bass/midrange driver – 4.5 inch
Finish:Walnut veneer

Maybe I'd buy them. For the kitchen or bathroom xD

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll chime in with a negative take on Joseph Audio- the Pulsars were possibly the brightest speaker's I'd ever heard when I ran into them at Axpona. It was to the extent that something was hopefully awry on the electronics side, or I'd just be puzzled. Even then, I'm still confused that no one else was running out of that room.

Spotted in the wild! Someone discontent with a Joseph encounter! :)

Thanks for the feedback.

The former Raidho team of Michael Borresen and Lars Kristensen consistently run the best audio show demos I've heard (honorable mention to Andrew Jones). I loved their demos with the Raidho D1 and now the Borresen 01, nevermind the 05 (my pick for best system I've ever heard). With the reviews so far I'd guess you'd like the Raidhos but they're hideously expensive. $25K for their standmounts, double for the Borresen 01, then double that for the new M1; madness

I've been wanting to hear the Borresen speakers. I wondered if they were as colored sounding as the Raidho models (which use a pretty obvious sounding BBC-like dip as I recall). The word from shows is that Borresen seems to impress lots of people, even those who balk at the crazy prices.

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
And my second audition trip report …

First, the dealer I visited was a very, very nice fella. A good human to be sure, so don’t take the following comments as a judgement on his character. But, I have never seen more audiophilia tomfoolery snake oil in one place in my ~40 years of being in this crazy hobby. Dedicated power transformer circuit only for the audio components, power conditioners everywhere, firehose speaker cables and interconnect, firehose power cables, cable lifters, thousand of hours of breakin required for speakers and electronics before they sound “good”, megabuck DACs everywhere, etc, etc. There must have been around $300k alone of snake oil in this place, not including any of the speakers or megabuck amps/preamps. It was bonkers. Name every negative nonsensical thing you can think of that us audio objectivists abhor in this industry/hobby and it was likely present at this dealer. The sad thing is this poor fella genuinely believed every bit of it and was fully drinking the kool aid. I wanted to have an intervention for him! With this said, I would recommend this dealer to anyone. Aside from the goofiness, he was genuine and honorable, and he treats his customers well, no doubt in my mind, just over the top with the snake oil.

Ok, enough of that, on to my impressions …

Vivid Kaya 90
Huge Rowland class D amps, Rowland pre, EMM DAC. Excellent midrange, low bass very good, but not full range. High freq extended and detailed but not harsh. Very nice. These really did nothing wrong and are well engineered speakers folks. They deserve the accolades. As to the looks, beauty definitely in the eye of the beholder with these. A “modern art” thing going on here that is definitely not my cup of tea. But well made and excellent build quality nonetheless. In conclusion, I would take some of the others in my previous audition trip any day over these, but again, very good speakers. They are dropping off the short list.

Audiovector R3 Arette
Driven by Rowland class AB. Big sound for small speakers, very good imaging, excellent midrange, good low freq extension for a small speaker, but wow that top end was hot. Reminded me a bit of mini B&W 801s. If someone wanted some smaller floorstanders with impeccable build quality, overall good performance, BUT, the ability to EQ that top end a bit, could be a contender. However, there are much better choices in this price range when you consider value/performance. For example, you can have a pair of Revel 328Be for what these Audio Vectors cost (!), that will blow the doors off of them if you value flat FR and much (much) more low frequency extension.

Joseph Audio Pearl Graphene
Rowland class AB amp, EMM DAC. These literally sounded broken. No low end, no mid bass, thin, boxy, and harsh on the top end. Recessed mid-range. Good imaging however. I am not sure what the issue was here, but these sounded like a decent size 80s boom box. The dealer agreed they sounded terrible and they were newer and needed about 3000(!) hours to break in. Ugh, eye role. They also were not running on his dedicated power network and that was also a reason they may have sounded so badly. Eye role. These are $44k loudspeakers folks. Oh well, they looked nice.

Raidho TD 3.8
Running massive MSB 2ch amp, Rowland preamp, Aurender source, blah, blah … As a rough estimate, these things must have had $300k of electronics and cable silliness connected to them. But they did some nice things, no doubt. Good soundstage (though for the size of the speakers I expected better), imaging on point, outstanding mid bass (very realist portrayal of drums). Strings also very nice. Build quality impeccable, beautiful speakers. BUT (you knew that was coming) … veiled, lacking detail, subdued highs (but yet some harshness on some recordings, not sure what to make of that). Also missing the lowest octaves, not full range, maybe hitting the 40s if they were lucky. Surprisingly lacking for such large loudspeakers/driver area. All the above to say that while these do some things right, they are clearly NOT flat measuring loudspeakers to my ears (not accurate/neutral). My suspicion is this is on purpose by the designers and catering to a specific audience preference. I do not care to dig up the FR, as I have had no interest in these, nor can I afford them, but I suspect some serious issues in the FR, especially in the top end. Overall, meh, especially for what these cost ($120k!)

In conclusion, I will put it this way … there is NOTHING I heard at this dealer that would cause me to give up my $100 JDS Labs USB DAC, 20 year old Onkyo Integra receiver, and $800 refurbished JBL Studio 590s. While there were a few things the Vivid Kaya 90s did better (overall a more refined sound, better midrange), my VERY humble system continues to astonish me. Now, some of the speakers I auditioned on my previous trip? Yes, there were definitely some that would have me relegating my 590s to side or rear channel theater duty ;)

One last trip is planned to round out the list, but not sure when that will be, hopefully within the next 2-3 weeks. Will of course keep everyone posted.

Onward and upward!

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

First, the dealer I visited was a very, very nice fella. A good human to be sure, so don’t take the following comments as a judgement on his character. But, I have never seen more audiophilia tomfoolery snake oil in one place in my ~40 years of being in this crazy hobby. Dedicated power transformer circuit only for the audio components, power conditioners everywhere, firehose speaker cables and interconnect, firehose power cables, cable lifters, thousand of hours of breakin required for speakers and electronics before they sound “good”, megabuck DACs everywhere, etc, etc. There must have been around $300k alone of snake oil in this place, not including any of the speakers or megabuck amps/preamps. It was bonkers. Name every negative nonsensical thing you can think of that us audio objectivists abhor in this industry/hobby and it was likely present at this dealer. The sad thing is this poor fella genuinely believed every bit of it and was fully drinking the kool aid. I wanted to have an intervention for him! With this said, I would recommend this dealer to anyone. Aside from the goofiness, he was genuine and honorable, and he treats his customers well, no doubt in my mind, just over the top with the snake oil.

Vivid Kaya 90
Huge Rowland class D amps, Rowland pre, EMM DAC. Excellent midrange, low bass very good, but not full range. High freq extended and detailed but not harsh. Very nice. These really did nothing wrong and are well engineered speakers folks. They deserve the accolades. As to the looks, beauty definitely in the eye of the beholder with these. A “modern art” thing going on here that is definitely not my cup of tea. But well made and excellent build quality nonetheless. In conclusion, I would take some of the others in my previous audition trip any day over these, but again, very good speakers. They are dropping off the short list.

Audiovector R3 Arette
Driven by Rowland class AB. Big sound for small speakers, very good imaging, excellent midrange, good low freq extension for a small speaker, but wow that top end was hot. Reminded me a bit of mini B&W 801s. If someone wanted some smaller floorstanders with impeccable build quality, overall good performance, BUT, the ability to EQ that top end a bit, could be a contender. However, there are much better choices in this price range when you consider value/performance. For example, you can have a pair of Revel 328Be for what these Audio Vectors cost (!), that will blow the doors off of them if you value flat FR and much (much) more low frequency extension.

Rowland class AB amp, EMM DAC. These literally sounded broken. No low end, no mid bass, thin, boxy, and harsh on the top end. Recessed mid-range. Good imaging however. I am not sure what the issue was here, but these sounded like a decent size 80s boom box. The dealer agreed they sounded terrible and they were newer and needed about 3000(!) hours to break in. Ugh, eye role. They also were not running on his dedicated power network and that was also a reason they may have sounded so badly. Eye role. These are $44k loudspeakers folks. Oh well, they looked nice.

Raidho TD 3.8
Running massive MSB 2ch amp, Rowland preamp, Aurender source, blah, blah … As a rough estimate, these things must have had $300k of electronics and cable silliness connected to them. But they did some nice things, no doubt. Good soundstage (though for the size of the speakers I expected better), imaging on point, outstanding mid bass (very realist portrayal of drums). Strings also very nice. Build quality impeccable, beautiful speakers. BUT (you knew that was coming) … veiled, lacking detail, subdued highs (but yet some harshness on some recordings, not sure what to make of that). Also missing the lowest octaves, not full range, maybe hitting the 40s if they were lucky. Surprisingly lacking for such large loudspeakers/driver area. All the above to say that while these do some things right, they are clearly NOT flat measuring loudspeakers to my ears (not accurate/neutral). My suspicion is this is on purpose by the designers and catering to a specific audience preference. I do not care to dig up the FR, as I have had no interest in these, nor can I afford them, but I suspect some serious issues in the FR, especially in the top end. Overall, meh, especially for what these cost ($120k!)

In conclusion, I will put it this way … there is NOTHING I heard at this dealer that would cause me to give up my $100 JDS Labs DAC, 20 year old Onkyo Integra receiver, and $800 refurbished JBL Studio 590s. While there were a few things the Vivid Kaya 90s did better (overall a more refined sound, better midrange), my VERY humble system continues to astonish me. Now, some of the speakers I auditioned on my previous trip? Yes, there were definitely some that would have me relegating my 590s to side or rear channel theater duty ;)

One last trip is planned to round out the list, but not sure when that will be, hopefully within the next 2-3 weeks. Will of course keep everyone posted.

Onward and upward!

@MKR

I apologize for talking about an experience that mirrors yours..
I have been in this hobby for a long time. 50+ Years and your experience mirrors one I had on a recent trip. I wasn't looking for speakers, simply wanted some kind of a refresh, trying to assess the state of things... I visited thus a High End Audio (HEA) dealer in the USA. I shudder at what the poor fellow must be paying for insurances, there were so many megabucks "things" in the store..Nordost cable, Rowland ( They are making a comeback in the HEA) gears, Beuatiful , shiny turntables, Mac Intosh, Audio Research , others famous, expensive names... I heard a few systems, some in the half million USD, yes... $500,000.oo total... and .. frankly ... my extremely modest but full range, $2500.oo with knowledge removed, shall wipe the floor with any of those... The fellow was nice too... It used to be different back then in the 1990s and early 2000's: HEA dealers were almost uniformly haughty, arrogant, some frankly disrespectful ... He went through a few "full range" systems and most of them were clearly lacking, except for the midrange which was often good. The rest of the spectrum was missing ... lacking or frankly bad. There was a tendency for stridency in many of those speakers treble... and the bass was all over the place , not reaching where my system routinely goes.. while idling :).. I was warned that for what I needed, I would have to spend upward of $200K, yes. The strangest thing was that the fellow seemed to genuinely believe in his BS: No DSP in the chain, Cable to tame/shape the sound (e.g "don't use Nordsot with Magico speakers, better to "synergize" it with the mellow-sounding Cardas", Different DACs for better sound , of course increasingly expensive DACs... "Better" thus moh' expensive preamp and amp... Special Power conditioning since I had told him that I was off-grid... Tube Traps, a forrest of those, but also a few RPG "abfusors" ... since my room was dedicated to Hi-Fi,

I came back puzzled and went to my modest system and continue to be happy .. So much so, that before acquiring another pair of better speakers than my current JBL LSR 308 ($500/pair) but I have 3 for LCR, I put off the purchse and acquired rather the Audyssey MutEQ-X app to refine the in-room response of my system and I am even more pleased.
I would advise you to actively audition those on your short list rather than the meanders of those HEA offerings: To quote you with a bit of editing ;) :

Active short list:
Genelec 8351B + W371A
Genelec 8361A + W371A
D&D 8C (plus subs?)
Neumann KH420 (plus subs?)
Kii Three + BXT

Passive short list:
KEF Blade Two Meta
Magico A5
Revel Ultima Salon 2
Revel Performa F228Be
Perlisten S7t
Vivid Audio Kaya 45
stick to your original list.

Peace.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Generally dealers don’t have the first idea, over here quite a number are ex used car salesmen.
They have little technical knowledge, stock the most heavily marketed rarely pay little if any attention to their rooms acoustic, they are decent salesmen though.

Keith

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Vivid Kaya 90

Audiovector R3 Arette

Raidho TD 3.8

In conclusion, I will put it this way … there is NOTHING I heard at this dealer that would cause me to give up my $100 JDS Labs USB DAC, 20 year old Onkyo Integra receiver, and $800 refurbished JBL Studio 590s. While there were a few things the Vivid Kaya 90s did better (overall a more refined sound, better midrange), my VERY humble system continues to astonish me. Now, some of the speakers I auditioned on my previous trip? Yes, there were definitely some that would have me relegating my 590s to side or rear channel theater duty ;)

Onward and upward!

Another fun read!

When I auditioned Raidho speakers I found the sound to be a bit too recessed, so all sorts of tracks I knew well would lack the energy and drive I liked (for instance bongos, percussion, anything with some leading edge impact in those ranges sounded subdued). They were easy on the ears though.

*Your Joseph Pearl description is fascinating. That is the first time I've ever heard anyone describe the sound that way. In fact it's basically the opposite of how most people hear those speakers (or Joseph speakers, generally speaking). I too am suspicious of typical audiophile dealer excuses "they need break in" and the like. So it's hard to fathom what was going on there.

Well, shows it's always a good idea to listen for yourself.
(Or at least for some of us...others may wish to rely soley on measurements, which is a legitimate approach).

*(This is why, when looking to reports from audiophiles/reviewers, I personally look for trends rather than a single report or review. You can usually find a knock on any speaker from someone, but if there is some continuity among the impressions I often find those trends are borne out when I hear the speaker myself. So for instance, if I'd read your single impression of the Joseph speakers sounding "harsh" I'd never have bought them, but since that is the opposite of what most report, and of what I hear, I found them a hugely gratifying purchase).

Looks like those Salons are looming in the distance!

Thanks for your reports!

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Onward and upward!
Thanks for sharing this report and look forward to the next one.

My one suggestion is that once the field is winnowed down you listen to the top 3 in different locations from the original locations or better yet in your home. More data is always a good idea... especially before dropping real money on this adventure.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Vivid Kaya 90

Audiovector R3 Arette

Raidho TD 3.8

Onward and upward!
Thank you muchO for the report on your endeavor. It's very interesting to read the buyers opinions and experiences while narrowing the field.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As a rough estimate, these things must have had $300k of electronics and cable silliness connected to them.
I have heard speakers that I knew were good, Revel Salons, sound wooly and bloated on the bottom when connected to some ridiculous audiophile cables... eliminating the expensive cables and going with plain old copper fixed the problem. Sometimes audiophile snake oil is actually not just detrimental to one's financial well being.

Lsc

Don’t forget that the salon2 is near the end of its life cycle. It’s been out what 15 years and per some “insiders” a replacement is coming out in the next couple years.

I’m thinking of buying spare drivers just in case they run out of parts but they aren’t cheap. Tweeters cost $1000 each, the 4” mid range is like $300 etc.

It’s one of the reasons why I started looking at the 802D4 which I’m no longer looking now after this thread (thanks). Maybe I’ll look for beefier amps but I’ve been stress testing the ATI6000 this weekend and my ears are giving out before the amp did. If you do get the salon2, let me know what amps you are thinking as well please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom