• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz NR1510 AVR Review

Rate this AVR:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 221 81.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 41 15.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 8 2.9%

• Total voters

Madlop26

Great review Amir, Thanks!, I bought a NR1607 like 7 years ago, I was sold by the form factor, but I was never impressed by the performance, It was replaced by a Denon H3200 2 years later and 2 years ago I got the Denon X3700H powering my man's cave.
The NR1607 still kicking and alive in my home family room, where performance not a priority, reliability has been great in my particular case tough.

Beave

Major Contributor
It is also interesting how the 2-channel model, NR-1200, sells for the same $ 799: either the 1200 is overpriced or the three extra speaker channels (or all five) of the 1510 are truly inexpensively designed and built.

It comes down to stuffing or not stuffing a handful of components on the amp board (see pics above - the amp board is vertical, near the front, by the heat sink).

They, like other brands, charge a little bit of a premium for the 2-channel version. From the consumer point of view, you're basically paying them to remove a few parts.

DonR

Major Contributor
I really liked my NR1501 I bought many years ago. Gave it to my son and he eventually donated it to the local thrift store. It was a great small room/apartment receiver. Definitely not "audiophile" but hi-fi enough for me.

When trying to stuff 5 channels of amplification and HDMI processing into such a small package, something has to give, I guess.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I suppose you pay for form factor and lower volume a bit. Doesn't seem for the cost to be unusual.

Dogen

Forum Donor
I was hoping one of these slim models might be okay for a bedroom 2.1 system. Alas this comes up too short for even that use.

All I really want is subwoofer output, high-pass on the mains and some bass management via microphone. I’ll bet many people with an AVR don’t even have surrounds and AVRs are generally way too big. Why is nobody addressing this market?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was hoping one of these slim models might be okay for a bedroom 2.1 system. Alas this comes up too short for even that use.

All I really want is subwoofer output, high-pass on the mains and some bass management via microphone. I’ll bet many people with an AVR don’t even have surrounds and AVRs are generally way too big. Why is nobody addressing this market?
Why wouldn't it work for a bedroom setup particularly? What market?

DonR

Major Contributor
Yes, a slim processor and powered speakers.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Yamaha has the R-S300 which is 2.1
rs300regls_1274x608_cbe7ad89613069b0ef8fba1d5bf44f41.jpg

Dogen

Forum Donor
Why wouldn't it work for a bedroom setup particularly? What market?
Technically it would work, but I’d like better basic performance. I guess the idea here is 5.1 on the cheap, and I’m not the target market.

respice finem

Major Contributor
The latest model is the Marantz CINEMA 70s. I doubt it would perform much differently, but it would be interesting to see.
There is a chance, because it doesn't feature the "dreaded" HDAM modules

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
the 70s has a slew of new technologies inside... and it at least has full preouts

but already they seem to have a lot of firmware bugs

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Technically it would work, but I’d like better basic performance. I guess the idea here is 5.1 on the cheap, and I’m not the target market.
So you're looking for non-audible issues?

Beave

Major Contributor
Yamaha used to have a similar "slim" form factor AVR, first it was the Yamaha RX-S600, then the RX-S601 replaced that, then the RX-S602 replaced that one. I don't think they have a current comparable model.

They were all very similar in size and connection capability and power to these Marantz receivers.

I like the form factor, but there's no reason they can't perform better.

Beave

Major Contributor
The latest model is the Marantz CINEMA 70s. I doubt it would perform much differently, but it would be interesting to see.

The CINEMA 70 model is the most recent version of the Marantz NR1710, not the 1510. The 1710 was a 7 channel AVR, while the 15 series was 5 channel. The CINEMA 70 is 7 channels.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i do get the point $1,200 is a lot of money for a base unit but the argument they would have is that they're packing in more and more due to consumer expectations AND Marantz is pitching themselves as a 'luxury' brand now....

also the NR1200 isnt like cheap either

Top Bottom